• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger GS Scout Rifle......Range Report Added

JJ_Miller

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2011
Gilmer Co. WV
I got it home today and gave it a looking over. The first thing I noticed was the checkering is deep and for sure non-slip. Bolt travel is smooth and the trigger is crisp with no creep or over travel. The open sights made me feel right at home like a M-16. A far as the " Plastic trigger guard " mine is some alloy, my knife would not cut or scratch it. My serial number is 705. Maybe Ruger changed this at the time of production ???

BUT the proof will be in the shooting, which will commence tomorrow morning.

I guess I am not sure where the Scout Rifle falls in the tactical scheme of things. Mine will ride on the Polaris Ranger as I fill my feeders thru the winter. Our DNR ( Dept. of Natural Resources ) thoughtfully live trapped problem bears from all over WV and turned them lose on 81,000 acres that join my farm. Being problem bears they have no fear of humans and think we grocery shop for them. They are always around.

I do have a lot of problems with trespassers and poachers during whitetail season. By nature these are armed confrontations, the Scout will come in handy here also.

This will be my " go to " rifle for the next year, we'll see how it goes.

Would I be any better served by a rifle costing 3 to 5K ? I don't really see how at this point.

I'll let everyone know how it shoots.....................JJ

PS.......after further examination I took a file and hit the trigger guard a stroke and it is indeed a polymer of some type, but it is very dense and does not look or feel like " Plastic ". Sorry for the mistake........................JJ+

Re: Ruger GS Scout Rifle......I Like Mine

After looking at Skunkworks rifles, and they are fine rifles, what I have is a Chevy and they are a Corvette. But a Chevy still gets the job done. Is style worth another 3K ?...................JJ

Ruger gets a lot of hate from this site, but it is a "tactical" shooting sight. Lots of people living up in Alaska run rugers for a hunting / camp gun, especially now that they have the RCM series cartidges, because of the CRF design. Ruger makes a fine hunting rig, and you can always rebarrel if your barrel is crap just like any other gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ruger gets a lot of hate from this site, but it is a "tactical" shooting sight. Lots of people living up in Alaska run rugers for a hunting / camp gun, especially now that they have the RCM series cartidges, because of the CRF design. Ruger makes a fine hunting rig, and you can always rebarrel if your barrel is crap just like any other gun. </div></div>

The hate you speak of has little to do with the product they sell. I believe it has more to do with the fact that Bill Ruger sided with the Clinton adimistation during the 94 gun ban. Even though Bill has passed and the company is under new management that clearly doesn't follow the same philosophy, those that were around don't easily forget.

Congrats on your new rifle.I have a hard time with this "hate for Ruger" thing. More research will show that not only was Bill Ruger saying stoo-pid things to keep his company alive, he was not alone. Remember S&W with their smart gun technology, directly in cahoots with The Clinton Administration? When all the stuff with Ruger went down, I wrote a letter to the them, stating my displeasure with their behaviour. I personally own SEVERAL Ruger firearms, both long gun and handgun, including my 1st new firearm, as an 8 yr. old boy, a 10/22. So I naturally felt betrayed and let it be known. Basically, I was made to look like a fool from their response. The information I rec'd showed me that Ruger was not alone, but had "signed onto", along with almost every other firearms manufacturer a list that allowed their survival by kissing the Clinton Administrations ass. The NRA obviously has forgiven them as well because Ruger has been winning at least one 'Golden Bulls-eye' award every yr. for a while now. There are plenty of things going on in this country to bash. A manufacturer of reliable AMERICAN MADE Firearms should not be one of them, based on sins from long ago....

Well I got up this morning a little early. To find enough flat ground to go 400 yrds I shoot at a local airport. I have to get there as the sun is coming up to avoid wind isues as its on a cut off mountain top.

I cleaned the Ruger Scout rifle ( hereafter referred to as RSR ) last night, and took off this morning.

I started with open sights @ 25 yrds. No suprises there, groups were good and centered.

I moved to 75 yrds again with open sights. I fired 3 five shot groups with Federal 308 150 gr. SP ( blue box ) My group average was 1.85.

I moved back to 100 yrds and again fired 3 five shot groups, open sights, same Fed. 150 gr. SP load. It came in at 2.75 in a nice round group with no fliers. The center of the group was about 2 inches high and 1 inch left. I will wait until I have a load developed before I adjust the sights. The group size is right where it should be for my 50 year old bifocaled eyes..........sorry its the best I can do with any rifle.

Now I got my took kit out and mounted a Leupold VX 3 1.5x5 Illum. Ret. Long story short I got the RSR on target at 200 yrds and obtained the following 3 five shot group average...........

Fed 150 gr. SP Blue Box.........2.6

American Eagle 150 FMJ..........3.2

Federal Fusion 150 gr...........2.8

Federal GMM 168 gr..............2.2

Handload W/ Sierra 150 gr.Pro Hunter........2.1

So is the Ruger a 1000 yrd screamer rifle.....no. Am I happy so far.....hell yes
smile.gif

I plan on loading up some Barnes Triple Shock and if the rifle Gods smile on me it will be near MOA.

I think also the Sierra load needs some tweaking. But so far so good..........................JJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a hard time with this "hate for Ruger" thing. </div></div>

People like to bitch. In every forum that I have been to reading about this rifle, at least one person has mentioned Bill Sr's "10 round mag" thing.

I am looking forward to this review. I am debating right nwo between this rifle, and the 6.8 Mini. Hmm...

Re: Ruger GS Scout Rifle......Range Report Added

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ_Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A far as the " Plastic trigger guard " mine is some alloy, my knife would not cut or scratch it. My serial number is 705. Maybe Ruger changed this at the time of production ???

</div></div>

Maybe there's hope yet. If the bottom metal is indeed "metal", that's a big step in making the Ruger a possible build choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: praharin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a hard time with this "hate for Ruger" thing. </div></div>

People like to bitch. In every forum that I have been to reading about this rifle, at least one person has mentioned Bill Sr's "10 round mag" thing.

I am looking forward to this review. I am debating right nwo between this rifle, and the 6.8 Mini. Hmm... </div></div>

Get both!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Fletcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Get both! </div></div>

Are you offering me a gift?

Congratulations and thanks for this post/review. I am really happy to hear about the bottom metal being metal. That was a deal breaker for me. I guess I will now have to buy one.

Have you checked to see IF your barrel is free floated completely??

Mine was NOT .... So I opened mine up to float it..

It may just help shrink your groups a little..

Matt.

I have one of these on order, ought to make a nice truck gun. Plan on the Leopold scout scope and a paracord sling, keep us posted on the accuracy and any problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Even though Bill has passed and the company is under new management that clearly doesn't follow the same philosophy, those that were around don't easily forget. </div></div>

I wonder if you drive a Jap ricebox. I would rather push my truck sideways down the road before I give Japs my money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Even though Bill has passed and the company is under new management that clearly doesn't follow the same philosophy, those that were around don't easily forget. </div></div>

I wonder if you drive a Jap ricebox. I would rather push my truck sideways down the road before I give Japs my money.</div></div>

Huh??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I wonder if you drive a Jap ricebox. I would rather push my truck sideways down the road before I give Japs my money. </div></div>

Very classy

I wonder if you drive a Jap ricebox. I would rather push my truck sideways down the road before I give Japs my money. </div></div>

I'm not sure how what I drive has any relevance, but most of my time spent driving is done in a Freightliner.

You have fun pushing and don't hurt yourself.
crazy.gif

Am I really reading this?

Another downhill thread brought back from the dead...

My point was made because soon after the war, Japanese imports were shunned by those who wouldn't just up and forgive the Japs in WWII.

My folks' company turned away any business that drove up in a Jap car, and one guy got turned down so many times by us AND others, he came back in a Ford and told us how surprised he was that no one wanted his business.

Nowadays, the street trash love Jap cars. That's a shame. There are less and less of us that support American Fords and Deeres

Looks like a bunch of non-military, import-loving folks in this forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point was made because soon after the war, Japanese imports were shunned by those who wouldn't just up and forgive the Japs in WWII.

My folks' company turned away any business that drove up in a Jap car, and one guy got turned down so many times by us AND others, he came back in a Ford and told us how surprised he was that no one wanted his business.

Nowadays, the street trash love Jap cars. That's a shame. There are less and less of us that support American Fords and Deeres

Looks like a bunch of non-military, import-loving folks in this forum. </div></div>
sick.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point was made because soon after the war, Japanese imports were shunned by those who wouldn't just up and forgive the Japs in WWII.

Looks like a bunch of non-military, import-loving folks in this forum.</div></div>

So your parents passed on their hate of asians to you, touching story.

Still not sure what the hell your racism has to do with RADcustom's post.

I'm curious, do you buy things from companies based in the UK? What is the length of the statute of limitations concerning countries we've gone to war against?

Looks like a bunch of non-military, import-loving folks in this forum. </div></div>

Once again, this is the “edited” result. Wisdom in dem dar words.

KS-
as a veteran I can say you show the worst in what America produces. I know a few Arizona folks, some scathingly bigotted and some quite open minded. Thinking you are a fine example of the former.

Sad thing is most Ford pickups have Japanese designed transmissions in them! Those sneaky sons of nippon have infiltrated our most beloved symbols of the New American West!

Damn them! Damn them ALLLLLLL!!!!!!!

You know KSwift, Arizona was part of the Confederate States of America!

That means your Fords and Deeres come from the North!! You're buying from the enemy, don't you stand for anything?

1271211459430.jpg

I was about to mention that American vehicles are typically made in Asian countries and Asian vehicles are oddly enough made here in America. Now how do you feel? Does that toyota you despised now actually have a bit more meaning to you because it was put together by an American and your beloved Ford or Chevy wasn't? Odd how these things work out isn't it? Now I'm a firm believer that nothing tops a German made car. That being said I am not racially biased. I'm sorry you had the sad childhood that you did. But think back to the war between the south and the north (not Korea lol). We were families fighting and killing each other during the day, then we'd come together and have dinner with the same people we just got done shooting at. Does this seem right to you? No, it shouldn't but neither is keeping a grudge against anyone we've ever been in war against. You are one of the people that give America as a whole a bad reputation amongst other countries. Do you really want to be hated? I don't and I honestly don't care if you do or not. But please refrain from insulting the members of this site as a whole. There are a large many people here who are/were military or like me who will be soon. Watch what you say dude.

wow popcorn and soon beer in hand, this has almost nothing to do with firearms but very entertaining. especially since the mods are involved getem jason and hugh

I'm done.... but I would like to know the answer to when I can start buying products made by the Brits again. I feel treasonous with all my AI stuff around.

ThatsRacist2.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm done.... but I would like to know the answer to when I can start buying products made by the Brits again. I feel treasonous with all my AI stuff around.</div></div>

you stinkin redcoat get outta our country and take your aiae and aiaw with you. Or you can leave them with me and i will hold them for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm done.... but I would like to know the answer to when I can start buying products made by the Brits again. I feel treasonous with all my AI stuff around.</div></div>

you stinkin redcoat get outta our country and take your aiae and aiaw with you. Or you can leave them with me and i will hold them for you. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure he is AE free. He's an AW guy all the way now.
smile.gif