• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger gunsite+ rws gunsmithing= bad a$$ shorty

a1-equipment

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2007
Salem VA
Started out life as a left handed ruger gunsite after a few groups figured out hate the scout mount and 1.5" groups just will not due love a short fast bolt action for hunting out to 300 yards. Fix was to send it to Robert at rws. Installed new brux 1-10 16" barrel .75" at the muzzle, true action, pillar and glass bed, tube trigger to 3.5 lbs.
Robert did great work as always. Scope is leupold mark 4 1.5-5 power Spr retical. Group is fggm 168 off of Harris bipods and a rear bag. my goal was to get a shorty 16" close to .5 moa and this was the 3rd group fired from it I think rws made it happen

1695A0B4-678D-4B91-95E6-88AE6796916B-3736-00000B0D1A1085A9_zps62ecc00a.jpg

8F989805-3C22-426E-8319-F502A83FB1DD-3736-00000B0D12F20815_zps3790c200.jpg

Why would you want that? Didn't Gunsmoke already make a $10,00.00 game changer with a trigger job out of one of these? Joking aside nice rifle.

Nice setup other than the bolt is on the wrong side. Robert has a 700 action of mine that's getting worked over and a 16.5" barrel installed on it.

Man I hate seeing a thread on this...... I have 16" Scout, that I really like. Like you, I took the pic scout mount off, and cleaned it up a bit. Added a can, light scope, love this rifle.

But...... I keep having this urge to make it....... different.

The Good Idea Fairy keeps whispering" wouldn't it be cool as a 243, or maybe a 6.5 Creedmoor? Maybe a switch-barrel?"

Damn voices in my head...... I think they don't like me.....

Nice rifle you go there though!

Looks great--you forgot the McMillan stock though!

I must have got lucky, both of mine are moa. I am still debating the Scout scope, thought I would put on the 45-70 if I don't like it on the GSR.

I predict Ruger will offer these in other calibers.

I don't know if I just got lucky but my GSR shoots factory ammo sub moa with how I have it set up now. She's very accurate. My 155TMK hand loads do even better.
Supp GSR.JPG
GSR Group.jpg

Is everyone just adding the XS rail to their GSR to use traditional rings? I meeded 20moa unimounts for my scope

Reactions: TheChief
Is everyone just adding the XS rail to their GSR to use traditional rings? I meeded 20moa unimounts for my scope
Yup, thats why I added it. I really didn't wanna use a scout scope for it, not with the excellent LPVO's available now. This rifle isn't a long range rifle so I didnt' wanna use any built in cant in either the rings or base. If I can't dial it with the amount of adjustment my scope has in it then its too far out for this rifle anyways. My hand load is a 155TMK at 2650fps. Even out of this 16" rifle its supersonic past a grand. I'm happy with this setup.