• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ruger gunsite scout rifle

KHOOKS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2008
Central Alabama
Does anyone have one of these rifles? If so can you post a small review of it. I have a friend thats wanting to buy one and was wondering about the good and bad of said rifle.

Thanks,
Ken

Re: ruger gunsite scout rifle

The good:
It is a well designed scout rifle with many good features.

The bad:
It is a ruger.

Your friend would be better off with an AR10.

Good or bad depends on what you want and like. I have one, and all four of us (my wife, sons, and I) really enjoy shooting it. Right now I'm running the iron sights without a can, and a 1x dot site with the can. Without a can, it is a very easy handling rifle. With the can it is a bit front-heavy, but still manageable. With no magnification I haven't shot for accuracy, but we seem to have little trouble hitting what we're shooting at. The ultimate plan is to put the longer rail (XS Sight Systems) on it, use the irons with no can, and something like a Vortex HS with the can for longish-range (maybe 600 yards). It doesn't replace my two heavy .308s for 1,000-yard plus shooting, and we have .270s for deer rifles, but it is good for bolt action practice, is handy to have in the truck, and is, as noted above, fun.

The factory 10-round magazine is long, so I switched to an Alpha. I haven't tried the new polymer mags.

I like mine fwiw. It handles well, and takes the same magazines as my 308. The trigger is plenty good enough for what I do with it. It seems to kill deer just as dead as my other 308, but it is much lighter lol. I usually run a suppressor on it and it not too front heavy.

The stock looks pretty nice, especially if you like laminate, and the spacer setup is handy for me since I have orangutan arms.

If you/he can get a good deal that you are comfortable with, I would say go for it.

It's one of the few Ruger's i've heard good reviews for.
However, the Scout concept only took off here on Oz because we can't have self-loaders. If you can get a semi-auto, that'd be a much better choice for the type of application the Scout rifle is designed for.

Let me add some more info on use of said weapon. He's looking at getting one for hunting and plinking. He's not a shooter like most of us. Not looking for a CQB rifle but a good easy to use in the brush type weapon in .308. He has been hunting with a TC Encore in .300wm. He just really like the looks of the Ruger. He nknows I shoot alot and asks me about this and that at times and I try to give him good info on things. Keep the info coming he and I thank you guys.

1st post... Howdy

I got mine about a month ago and I really like it. I'm kinda like your buddy, in that I liked the looks of it. That's what initially piqued my interest in this gun.Thought it would make for a great hunting and plinking rifle... and so far, it has.

I can say that the 10rd AI mags aren't a good fit in this gun. Kept having feeding issues and they do not fit tight in the mag well, so I replaced it with Rugers 5rd polymer mag and this solved a number of issues (i.e. feeds better, looks better... yes that matters to me, and handles better. And they're cheap too!!!

The only other changes I made is the XS Sight rail and a Leupold VXR 3x90-40 scope. This gun is a lot of fun to shoot, very little recoil and is reliable. I'm not sure that I really subscribe to the Scout rifle philosophy, but I do like cool, fun guns and this is one of them.

They have their place... just that place will never be in my safe... not my thing.

I've shot two. Brush gun? Thumbs up. Not a precision piece by any stretch though, but good close/mid-range.

I never got Cooper's infatuation with a bolt/"kinda"-accurate "scout rifle."

I looked at it and ended up going with the Savage Scout instead. Mine uses the alternate chambering, 7.62x39; the Scout being the only rifle I could find in the Savage line with that bolt face. Otherwise I got nothing (zero, nada) against the Rugers.

Honestly, I got it more for the bolt face than for the Scout configuration and changed the mounts to something conventional right off the bat.

But having a Scout with a red dot that digests cheapo Combloc .30cal is not such a terrible option. My rifle shoots that Zombie Fodder at right around 2MOA or just a smidge bigger. Not great. but not bad for that sort of thing, either.

The seriously lighter recoil is a plus, as it is probably going to end up in smaller hands than mine.

The rifle has a 20.5" 1:10" .308 bore, and is being load developed using handloaded 110gr V-Max loads as a project to see if an inexpensive FV200/FV250 rifle can result from all the fun and games.

If successful, I intend it to serve as my granddaughter's FV gun. Early stages, factory ammo manages 1-2MOA at 100yd and handloads match that with some potential for better. The rifle itself is built well enough (AccuStock, AccuTrigger) to deliver decent accuracy.

Greg

Reactions: S_R

I really like the Ruger Scout!

But I would make a few small minor changes though...

First I would cut off the forward mount.

Then throw away the plastic DBM.

Then replace the stock with a good quality synthetic.

Then remove the flash hider.

Then replace the barrel with a 18.5 or 20".

Should be ok then.

TC

Top Cat

you forgot the hideous bolt knob too
grin.gif

FWIW:

I shot one last month. It belonged to a guide who was retired military. He had a burris scout scope on it and burris tactical rings.

He also had used a dremel tool and installed a shot piece of rail that he used to mount a light. He had one magazine full of ball in it loaded with 147 grain ball.

It was a SWEET bad guy / bad animal tool--a general purpose rifle. To be used for Human (meth heads) or Animal (wolves/mountain lion) predators in the Eastern Oregon "outback".

Perfect gun for that use.

BMT

I shot one at a demo shoot last year. It is a decent rifle for the money.

It is short, handy, and has manageable recoil.

The two things I didn't like about it were the small fore end, and the strange feeling, and sounding receiver.

I love the Scout Rifle concept, and i think the Ruger scout rifle is a good example of what a Scout Rifle is supposed to be. HOWEVER, I really think (and this may be a little too bold) that if Col. Cooper were alive today, he would probably agree that a light, carbine-length .308 AR with a 1-whatever variable scope is the ideal multi-purpose rifle. Technology and tactics have come a long way. I view this setup as the modern Scout Rifle, as it accomplishes the same thing.

I like mine. I wanted a rifle to shoot without a scope just for fun and you can run different optics configs as well. Cool gun.

Regards