• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Hawkeye Long range; Accuracy

Jmccracken1214

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Went out yesterday to shoot 10 rounds to get an average velocity with current temps for my load since I have a match this Saturday.
    Didn’t plan on shooting a group, aiming at the red dot at 100, first 4 shots on the right. Bottom impact is cold bore, hole above it is the next 3 rounds. 0.289 center to center.
    The left side is me shooting the next 6 relatively quickly to empty the mag and get the data before dark.

this factory barrel continues to impress me. The last group I shot was at 300 yards with this rifle and it put 5 in a 1/2” hole.

FA1231F0-2E6F-4813-AA45-4657B1AF5ACD.jpeg

1B93C6ED-5235-4DC0-A2D2-DB4646B2DAA6.jpeg

Since FN is no longer making the SPR, this will very likely be the next factory rifle I buy. I've been very impressed with what I've seen.

Since FN is no longer making the SPR, this will very likely be the next factory rifle I buy. I've been very impressed with what I've seen.
    My issues with the rifle have been this.
    Bolt handle.. factory is too small, and my gunsmith had to do some work to make it possible to fit aftermarket handles on there but he got it done and it made it a lot nicer.

the bolt... just being what it is, it’s not the smoothest action . When I first got it, and cycled it at home, I was a little bummed... but when I’m shooting, and run the bolt quick, i don’t notice anything and it’s smooth. Cycles through rounds very smooth and quick. Some of that is from having the bolt handle work done.

I like this rifle so much that I’m buying another for my next build. Going to get the long action in 300 so I can rebarrel to 7 saum

Is that the factory stock?

Also, I handled one of these rifles the only thing I didn't care for was the gritty action. Maybe it was just the rifle I looked at. Other than that they seem like good rifles.

Also, I handled one of these rifles the only thing I didn't care for was the gritty action. Maybe it was just the rifle I looked at. Other than that they seem like good rifles.
    Yes, I painted it with 2 sponges.
    My action has smoothed up since I got it. Took 100 rounds or so but it’s smoother than it was new, for sure.
    I also had it bedded

Also have the ruger hawkeye long rage in 6.5cr.

I didnt get a chance to take pics of the groups but ringing 10in steel at 800 was stupid easy (as it should be I guess).

Was using 140gr eld factory loads. Havent tried other cartridges yet.

Agree about the action. Wasnt the smoothest when I got it. I cleaned cycled it a couple hundred times and it has smoothed considerably.

The stock while simple is pretty nice and adjustable enough. Threw a magpul bipod on it and instant fun...

In all, I am happy with it.

20200403_214023.jpg

BTW, I suck at cutting foam. LoL.

Also have the ruger hawkeye long rage in 6.5cr.

I didnt get a chance to take pics of the groups but ringing 10in steel at 800 was stupid easy (as it should be I guess).

Was using 140gr eld factory loads. Havent tried other cartridges yet.

Agree about the action. Wasnt the smoothest when I got it. I cleaned cycled it a couple hundred times and it has smoothed considerably.

The stock while simple is pretty nice and adjustable enough. Threw a magpul bipod on it and instant fun...

In all, I am happy with it.

View attachment 7289925
    BTW, I suck at cutting foam. LoL.
    Good looking rifle and set up. You should consider rotating the foam 180 so the scope is toward the handle. This keeps the scope from being on the bottom when you have the case by the handle. Just a thought.

Good looking rifle and set up. You should consider rotating the foam 180 so the scope is toward the handle. This keeps the scope from being on the bottom when you have the case by the handle. Just a thought.

Good catch, the foam gets put in and out alot and likely in different orientations lol...

Gives me something to do after lunch. :)

Reactions: sierracharlie338
    My issues with the rifle have been this.
    Bolt handle.. factory is too small, and my gunsmith had to do some work to make it possible to fit aftermarket handles on there but he got it done and it made it a lot nicer.

the bolt... just being what it is, it’s not the smoothest action . When I first got it, and cycled it at home, I was a little bummed... but when I’m shooting, and run the bolt quick, i don’t notice anything and it’s smooth. Cycles through rounds very smooth and quick. Some of that is from having the bolt handle work done.

I like this rifle so much that I’m buying another for my next build. Going to get the long action in 300 so I can rebarrel to 7 saum
    CRF actions can be a little more finicky to smooth out.

I have a model 70 that was a gift from my dad. It wasn't what I wanted it to be in terms of caliber/contour/etc.

So before I trued the action and installed another barrel, I took some lapping compound to the bolt, raceways, and polished every metal on metal on the bolt. I then trued the action's critical surfaces and installed another barrel. It's buttery smooth now.

Reactions: Dirty D
    Do they make it in .30-06?

It would be pretty cool if they did. And Ruger seems to listen to their customers. Maybe we should email Davidsons to see if they can get a special run made.

Otherwise, this could be my exscuse to finally get into the 300 Win Mag game.

Reactions: Bender
    why do guys always put their rifle in a case with the scope down? I want mine up, in the event of a carry drop.

I have in in .300 win mag and have been very impressed. Recoil is not bad, very accurate rifle. Working on load development, any one shooting the 225 grain eld? I have some RL 26 that I am use, any powder suggestions ?

Is there not a varmint model of the model 70 anymore? How does the new Hawkeye compare to say the Kimber police or tactical?

Personally, I think the LRH is the way to go, if a guy has to hump it any distance. Not so frigging heavy. Stainless instead of fast-rust blue job, no adjustable cheek, and a pred contour barrel.....

IMG_2520_zpsg0meyiqo.jpg

IMG_2519_zpsj5grehdq.jpg
    That looks like a modification of the Ruger Gunsite Rifle.

Does it have a trigger like the RPR?
    Yes in that it has a trigger but... no. Its not an rpr. Its a hawkeye aka an m77.

Edit: Long Range Hunter has a normal lc6, Long Range Target has a two stage but Im pretty sure its still a way different trigger than the rpr/american style.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: SDBguy95
    Does it have a trigger like the RPR?
    It has a two-stage trigger in it. The factory trigger is not bad at all. But I did put a rifle basics trigger in mine. It took a little getting used to because there is slight take up before the break. But it’s just how these triggers are. Still not bad and mine is around 10 ounces

The one I handled in stores was also kind of gritty and not a very smooth action. Not the kind of action that you can flick back with one finger like you can with many other rifles around or above this price point.

The one I handled in stores was also kind of gritty and not a very smooth action. Not the kind of action that you can flick back with one finger like you can with many other rifles around or above this price point.
    Not terribly surprising. CRF actions with a large extractor are typically not as nice from factory and do have grittier characteristics, esp. if they're uncoated stainless.

My SS M70 took some work to get right, but is now buttery smooth after taking the time to do it right.

The trigger in my Hawkeye long range seems to have shorter travel then rpr trigger and is set lower out of the factory. Cleaner break, I do not see a need to change it. I don't mind the rpr trigger but the Hawkeye I really like.

The trigger in my Hawkeye long range seems to have shorter travel then rpr trigger and is set lower out of the factory. Cleaner break, I do not see a need to change it. I don't mind the rpr trigger but the Hawkeye I really like.

You've got me interested in this gun. Is the bottom metal made of metal or polymer? How much has the action smoothed out?

why do guys always put their rifle in a case with the scope down? I want mine up, in the event of a carry drop.
    I doesn't make a difference. As long as there is foam more than an inch thick around the scope, the case won't touch the scope, and the rifle is supported by the foam along the barrel and scope. The foam dissipates the spike in force from a drop. A rifle on it's bipod getting knocked over on the ground will generate more sudden force that a case being carried by it's handle being dropped.

You've got me interested in this gun. Is the bottom metal made of metal or polymer? How much has the action smoothed out?
    The bottom metal is metal. Prior to purchasing this rifle I looked at it in different stores. In one store the action was pretty rough, in another store it was much smoother. I purchased the one that felt smoother (they had 3 in stock at the store I purchased from and all 3 felt the same, fairly smooth for a factory rifle). After working the action and shooting it did smooth out quite a bit more. Its a little smoother then my RPR that I had longer. The RPR is maybe a little quicker to cycle because of the shorter bolt lift and being 6mm creedmoor. Over all I am pleased with the rifle for the price.

Reactions: peashooter1