• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Echo4Bravo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2013
North Central Arkansas
Looking pretty seriously at the Ruger LCP for the wife. It will be for keeping around the house while I work nights (not that I think it will do much good if they get past the 90lb German Shepherd or 70 lb Lab/pit mix). I personally haven't fired one nor do I know anyone who has one. Anyone have any experience good bad or indifferent? Thanks in advance!

I had one. It carried easily, but it was unreliable so I sold it for a S&W 442.

I have carried on daily for the last 4 years. Always shoots fine for me.

It's a Ruger . Nothing fancy but it works. I carry one everywhere and it never failed to go bang every time. Sometime its back up sometime its primary. Not my choice for home protection but a cool and effective CC choice. Get her 20 ga for the house more bang for the buck .

Went down this road before and failed miserably. I've found we tend to purchase smaller pistols for women, when they aren't really that conducive to accurate or enjoyable shooting for them. These smaller pistols have a lot of snap to them due to size and weight.

If it is for her at home, being able to conceal it really isn't an issue. I would suggest taking her to a large range that does gun rentals, and have her shoot a bunch of pistols until she finds one that she likes and feels comfortable with. If she picks it out and feels comfortable with it, you will be starting ahead of the curve.

Hope this helps you out in your endeavor.

Father in law has one. No reliability problems and very concealable but I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn while standing inside of it. Also practicing enough to be proficient wouldn't be pleasant.

If you're keeping it around the house i would look to something larger and more comfortable to shoot. If you or her plan on using it for concealed carry I would look at other pistols still.

Went down this road before and failed miserably. I've found we tend to purchase smaller pistols for women, when they aren't really that conducive to accurate or enjoyable shooting for them. These smaller pistols have a lot of snap to them due to size and weight.

If it is for her at home, being able to conceal it really isn't an issue. I would suggest taking her to a large range that does gun rentals, and have her shoot a bunch of pistols until she finds one that she likes and feels comfortable with. If she picks it out and feels comfortable with it, you will be starting ahead of the curve.

Hope this helps you out in your endeavor.

Victory is right on the money for this one. The smaller pistols are often more difficult for the untrained hands to control.
I have one of the LCPs, take it to the range for TRAINING because you need to know how it behaves or you will not be ready to use it. I don't take it to the range to have fun, I take my M&P 9mm to have fun. My wife couldn't operate the LCP effectively, but she could the full size 9mm. With some training however, the LCP can be adequately accurate, I can hit 8in plates all day at 10yrds with it.

I had one before it was stolen. Good little pistol. Never had a fail to feed issue. Surprisingly accurate out to 25 yds although I wouldn't recommend shooting at that distance to most.

But alas I must agree. A 20ga short barrel would be the logical choice.

Mine has been very reliable but it does have a lot of snap and is difficult to control follow up rounds on target. I carry it all the time because it's so small, but I'd not recommend it to someone that can't put a lot of rounds behind it to get used to it.

My wife also found it difficult to operate the slide since it's so small - just an FYI.

I bought one a couple of years ago and have been really impressed. No malfunctions and headshots are doable at 25 yds. Hang on to the thing and be smooth on the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If she wants a pistol, then look at the CZ83, Bersa Thunder or Glock 42. All are easier to shoot well than the ruger.

Personally, I'd be inclined to look towards the Mossberg 500 cruiser in 410, light weight, no recoil, low noise, kill you DRT.
With the modern defensive ammo made for the judge, they are VERY serious business, especially with the duplex loads.

If she wants a pistol, then look at the CZ83, Bersa Thunder or Glock 42. All are easier to shoot well than the ruger.

Personally, I'd be inclined to look towards the Mossberg 500 cruiser in 410, light weight, no recoil, low noise, kill you DRT.
With the modern defensive ammo made for the judge, they are VERY serious business, especially with the duplex loads.

You know my father in law also has one of those bersa thunders and it's not a bad shooting pistol. I haven't shot it enough to recommend it with a clear conscience but my experiences with it have all been positive.

I've got one, and carry when the only option is deep concealment. It's better than being unarmed but almost like a derringer...........a last resort. I don't find it enjoyable at all to shoot, my wife won't carry it. A Kahr PM9 is a much better weapon if you really want a small single stack pistol. If you really want her to be able to use it, as mentioned take her to a range where she can shoot several different handguns to see what is the best fit.

Don't post much but I lurk a lot. To quote someone much smarter than I am, "the pistol you have is better than the one you don't". I wouldn't consider the LCP much more than a get-off-me gun, and while it would not be my first choice for a gun fight, it is easy to carry even when wearing shorts. Shoots fine for what it is and has never failed to function. And I second the post about cleaning it frequently due to pocket lint...

I assume we all know this is a 3 year old thread ! but I'll play on the new / old hide transition as well start all over from Private status.

The LCP is not comfortable to shoot; its small hard grip beats the palm pretty good for only a .380.
A few examples of how I use these Elite Survival inside the pocket style holsters (3 different ones shown) for ease of draw, no lint and being soft they don't print in the front pocket and a grippy exterior keeps the holster fixed on the draw.

So what's the trick to post photos ? obviously not the same as on Scout. Apparently need to retain the to bracket

[IMG]"http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/veryeasy4me/IMG_2866_zps1soblbyv.jpg"

the photo bucket address, rather than delete it as on Scout forum. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1227.photobucket.com\/albums\/ee424\/veryeasy4me\/IMG_2866_zps1soblbyv.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1227.photobucket.com\/albums\/ee424\/veryeasy4me\/IMG_2865_zpskom4hnra.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
I had one and got rid of it. There's a lot of recoil in that little fucker and it may be hard for her to handle. I got rid of mine and went with a Glock 43. Same size and more reliable. Fires much better as well. If it's just for her at home and she won't be carrying it you can get away with a larger option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife went through taurus TCP, Ruger Lcp, s/w shield 40, ruger lc9 and FINALLY has settled on a Springfield XD-S. She shoots it well and carries it daily.

The smaller guns, she couldn't shoot accurately, but had to learn for herself. The 40 was too snappy, but she had to learn for herself...the LC9 had a crap trigger, but she had to learn for herself,,see a pattern here??:mad:

LCP is good, but not great (imho). The price is right, but the price is also right on a handful of more comfortable, reliable, .380s.

I'll always been a glock fan, 19, 21, 35, 43 and bought a G42 for my wife. Simple, reliable, extra parts/holsters/mags/etc available anywhere.

A .380 seems small, but a small framed .380 will kick decently in inexperienced hands. I haven't found anyone who dislikes a G42 yet, and you can get a +2 mag extender for 8+1. Some Google searches on the LCP though, and you'll quickly find a bunch of folks who find it less than desirable to shoot.

At minimum, maybe take the wife to the range, rent all of their .380s and let the wife decide what she's most comfortable shooting.

I have no doubt the LCP is easy to conceal and will go bang when you pull the trigger, but I strongly beleive there are better guns out there for the price.

My wife like her SW model 10 in her bedside drawer and the 870 in the closet.

I shot an acquaintance's LCP and wasn't impressed. I shoot pistols better than most people I know and I could not get that thing to give me any love. Could hit basketballs at ranges I could hit tennis balls with other pistols.