• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ruger M77 trigger

jhamilt

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2012
Hey guys beeen hanging out doing a lot of reading but have a quick question. I have an old style ruger m77 in 270 that I want to lighten the trigger weight on a little. I looked at a timney for it but first I wanted to see if I could get by with the factory trigger. Is there any good videos that deal with doing trigger work? I found a site that basically tells you how to do it but nervous about doing any stoning without any experiance to guide me.

Also, midway has a sear listed thats ready to drop in but its listed as a 2 lb sear, I'm wanting to get to about 3.5 lbs as its primarily a hunting rifle. they have a few springs listed as well but the heaviest they have is a 2.5 lb. How would be best to go about getting the weight I'm looking for? right now the timney is a little out of the budget. as it is I figure worst case I screw up the sear and order a new factory one until I get the money for a timney. I just like to tinker and would like to learn a little trigger work, but at the same time do so safely.

Re: Ruger M77 trigger

It is the tang saftey model, according to the ruger website it was made in 87. I have adjusted the trigger back a good bit but its still a touch heavier than I would like, but much better than it has been. It was so heavy when shooting prone with a sling I was pulling the sight off the target. hard to develop loads when you cant call your shots lol. Its probably around 4.5-5 lbs now, where before it was easily 8-10 lbs.

I have installed a bunch of Dayton Traisters over the years with many satisfied folks. Give them a look see.

Well looks like I spoke too soon, just played around with it for about 10 more minutes and got it to the point it feels bueatiful. nice and crisp with no overtravel, and the weight feels just about perfect.

oh yeah, thanks to those who replied and helped this noob out. I used to call it good enough as long as I could stay minute of deer at 150 but now I'm wanting to see what this thing is really capable of. Oh yeah, and the reason I couldnt afford a drop in trigger was I just spent all my play money on brass prep tools for reloading and a new recoil pad, cant wait till the big brown truck gets here.