• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

ruger M77

actioncraft17

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2012
I was wondering if any of you guys have built a custom rifle off of the ruger M77 action thank you

Re: ruger M77

Almost no one builds off a Ruger action.

You MIGHT find one or two smiths in the entire country that will, maybe they like the challenge.

Not worth the time or money.

It's a fine hunting rifle, and if you happen to have one of the tactical models or varmint rigs they're good shooters.As far as building a custom off one I think the biggest issue against it would be lack of a detachable magazine system.

nice action but the action is very very hard steel. Gunsmiths dont like to work on them for that reason.

But there are some very good smiths out there that have turned out some great shooting rugers.

I have one for a hunting rifle and its really accurate in it stock configuration.

I've got the varmint version and am happy with it. Changed the trigger and went with a thumbhole stock and it shoots well. The way the ring mounts are cut in the receiver does limit your options for mounting a scope.

I have a older tang safety mk77 in 257 roberts.. Redone by hart rifle barrels in NY. It is very accurate and fun to shoot. Hart heavy barrel with a small taper to it,in SS still in factory walnut stock that was glassed, opened by hart for the barrel installed.
Wish it were a diff twist as I have to shoot 100 grain or less out of it. Absolutely loves the 75 gr v max and 85 gr nos bal tips.

that is what this rifle is its the older tang saftey M77 the reason for asking is because the barrel is in ruff shape with pitting and what not not so much really looking for a complete custom but maybe a rebarrel and maybe make a shooter out of it instead of gettin rid of it

Ken Farrell makes a nice 20 moa rail for the m77. You will need to drill the receiver for attachment.
Rob

Iv got an M77 in 30-06 I'm shooting 125gr and shooting sub moa groups at 200 and busting eggs evry shot at 300 I ts just a factory riffle except for a bell and carlson stock and the factory adjustible trigger is set to 2lbs

A rifle doesn`t have to have a detach mag box to be a nice rifle. Rugers can make very nice and dependable rifles. I have shot them in custom rigs out to 1100yds in a 240RV Magnum(243-270WSM). Also, in a lightweight 6mm Ackley Deer hunting rig, very accurate. I highly recommend em.

I just checked the ER Shaw site.
They will rebarrel your Ruger for you.

They do not advertise "match grade" barrels, but their barrels are certainly as good or better than a factory tube and are very reasonably priced.

I have an M-77V in .308 that will hang with any of the Rem. 700's on this site. Trigger sucked so I replaced it with a Timney. 1/2 MOA or better all day long with 175 SMK's.

Bought a well used, but still in decent condition 270 Win Ruger 77 Tang Safety featherweight rifle for $210. With an $80 dollar A&B F54 contour 7mm barrel blank, a $40-50 Rifle Basix trigger sear, a Boyd's $30 clearance unifit stock had Ruger redone. Barrel blank was chambered to 7x57 mauser and installed by a retired machinist who's worked on rifles as a hobby/sideline for over 40 years. Gent charged me about $50 for his work.

Jeeez, wish my other 20 or so scoped rifles shot as accurate as my Ruger.