• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ruger M77's

wjwill

Off road Junkie
Minuteman
Supporter+
Nov 28, 2007
East KY and Georgia
Why do gunsmiths not like working on Ruger M77's? I am looking for serious answers here. I really want to know why.

Wesley

Re: Ruger M77's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Wesley...

I am ultra new here, however, have you tried www.rugerforum.com?? I believe you will find your gunsmithing answers there. </div></div>

Thanx, But I would like some of the smiths here to explain why they don't like working on them.

I don't know, and I often find similar constraints on getting work done on Savages. I think it's maybe a tendency to stay with what they know best, and for a long time, M700's were pretty much all of the trade anyway. I expect this will ease over time.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know, and I often find similar constraints on getting work done on Savages. I think it's maybe a tendency to stay with what they know best, and for a long time, M700's were pretty much all of the trade anyway. I expect this will ease over time.

Greg </div></div>

I agree. I've seen and heard of some great M77's that shoot like the Dickens. People knock the k98 as a junker not worthy of doing anything with, yet they won matches for years and still continue to shoot well under MOA.

You have to find a 'smith that knows how to handle them and I suspect you'll have no problem getting it worked on. My dad's really good with Mausers and Mosin Nagants. He had a couple actions to mess with when he was learning, so he's intimately aware of how to deal with them.

He hasn't done more than 2 or 3 Rem 700's so he's not all that comfortable dealing with them. Not that he wouldn't do it, but he wouldn't take a match rifle and put a barrel on it for someone since he's not that confident with it.

My guess is that there isn't the "body of knowledge" that exists for the M700 or even the M70 platforms. I don't see anything instrinsically wrong with the M77MKII action but there isn't much aftermarket stuff and not many/if any have taken M77's to the winner's circle. If someone did, then I think you'd see more people look at the M77 as an option. The integral scope mount system, as good as it is for hunters, limits options for tactical/precision shooters and would need to be reworked.

I have a M77MKII in .338WM and it is honestly a sub-moa rifle but the M77 action is not my first choice to build on since no one seems to have the fixturing, desire, etc..

It is the "newest" of the bolt action designs. Perhaps, like the Savage, they will eventually catch on.

Ruger itself has made some very modest attempts at developing a precision rifle from the M77 but until they address some the deficits and make a serious attempt at marketing a genuine tactical/precision rifle, people are going to buy something else.

I have a Ruger 77 built by a respected 'smith. When I posted a picture of it, he immediately responded that I had the last Ruger that would come out of his shop.

He commented that the 77 has some curves and angles that are a pain to work with. Buffybuster made the comment about not having the "fixturing" and that could be a problem.

As a note, my rifle is a .5" gun all day long. Having said that, I believe the generous tolerances brought on by the investment casting process cause difficulties.

David

I have a M77 in 6.5x55 Swede, and its the most accurate factory gun I have ever shot. One day its going to need a rebarrelling, so I have though of this often.

Im sure there are some smiths here that willingly will tackle this type of action.

Well, my Ruger M77 shall be back in my hands this week. I sent it to Jim at Hart Barrels and he rebarreled it to a 308 from a 22-250. To me it seems he is the only Smith that has the balls to work on them.

The Ruger M77/gunsmith situation makes me think about those types that get to a certain point and don't progress any further in life. Like in the electrical field.... They get good at running cable tray and don't go past that on to terminating.

My experience with KM77VT MKII's is with factory .308 and .22-250's. They worked reliably and very accurately. The diagonal action screw concept appears to be effective, since bedding my two rifles achieved no change in accuracy in both instances. I no longer own either, as they were high ticket items which had a good resale value right about when I needed mortgage payments more than rifles. To some degree I miss them, but I'm in no position to acquire replacments right now. I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a M77 in 6.5x55 Swede, and its the most accurate factory gun I have ever shot. One day its going to need a rebarrelling, so I have though of this often.

Im sure there are some smiths here that willingly will tackle this type of action. </div></div>

Me, too! I bought one years ago. I was in local shop and told the owner I was interested in having one. He took this as a green light to order one. It is a delight. Mine is a sporter weight and has a nice piece of walnut on it that I refinished in tung oil. It is about as classy as they come.

If it's a factory barrel, it might pay to talk to Ruger. Most factory rifle makers have an offer to rebarrel in the original chambering for a reasonable price.

Greg