• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Ruger Mark I sadness

Maddyn

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2010
Pac NW, WA
Talk about how not to treat a gun... so my cousin got a Ruger Mark I when our Grandma passed away, in good condition, accurate as all get out. When he went off to the mission field he gave it to an uncle to hold on to, (who I thought would have taken better care of it) But seems it got left in the leather holster and set somewhere a dog could piss on it. So Cousin comes back and wants to go shooting and the gun is pretty heavily pitted on one end of the gun. He started working on refinishing it, stripped the bluing and got most of the rust off.

8670.jpg

8672.jpg

I have the gun now and am going to try and clean it up better, but I'm wondering if there's anything that can help with the pitting? It's purely cosmetic, gun still functions and fires, but it does look like crap. I was planning on going over it with some sandpaper and work up to buffing compound before re-bluing. Any suggestions?

Re: Ruger Mark I sadness

Do not bother reblueing it. It will look like dog shit....instead of piss
smile.gif
Strip it down and sand/media blast it. I would then duracoat it my self. It won't look original, but it goes on thick and should go a long way towards filling in the pitting. Also, I have never tried, but you may be able to put a coat of duracoat on, let it dry, then sand it and coat again thereby filling the pits.

Blast it bare,apply and smooth out JB weld, sand smooth then use a paint type finish on it. Duracoat, moly resin or the sort.

Once metal is gone you either have to weld it up or machine down to clean up to replace.

Depends how much you want to put into it.

My smith would weld-fill it in and re-blue it and it would look new again without any jbweld or bondo falling off in the future...

Do it right....for sentimental reasons obviously, new 22/45 is only $300 but that pistol is probably worth $300,000 to you.

Blast it and park it, then moly resin over that.

Might send it in to Ruger, I sent in an old Blackhawk that got lost in the river for a year, and it came back like new for $75, that was about 10 years ago, but it's worth a shot.

It's looking like I'm going to go the duracoat route, just blast it, park it, fill and duracoat color of choice... do a little polish work on the bolt and call it good. Thanks for the ideas and pointers, I'll have to get some pics up when I get it done