• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger mini-14...why is it not accurate?

tuckybill

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2007
Kentucky
I've always wanted one but EVERY person I talk to says they won't hit a barn door. Is there something in the design? Ruger is selling a "match" one with a laminated stock. I'm not looking for MOA but 2 inches at 100 yards would be nice. Has anyone tried out the match mini 14 with the laminated stock and harmonic tuner?

Re: Ruger mini-14...why is it not accurate?

I have never seen a "Match" version, but Ruger does make a "Target" version that is similar to what you are describing. With quality ammo and assuming the shooter does his/her part, the Ruger Mini-14 "Target" rifle will achieve MOA accuracy (some have gotten sub-MOA accuracy, but you can expect MOA or so).

As for the standard Mini-14...there are a wealth of reasons that they have a reputation for poor accuracy. Some reasons relate to the quality of ammo used in them, the quality of the shooter pulling the trigger, and other reasons relate to poor quality of the build/components used/etc.

Mid-1980s, my only real experience with one was a friend's stainless model with something similar to a Weaver K-4 on top.

First guy I ever knew who had rifle ammo in bulk in a .50-caliber ammo can.

It shot 1-1.3 MOA every time either one of us benched it, with those not so special 55-gr SP reloads. The stock fit tight enough and the trigger sucked. He tried to reduce it by drilling one spring hole deeper and broke the drill bit...but some after-hours time with the EDM machine there at BYU fixed that. He had GOOD friends.

Those were some fun times.

Anyway, the two more credible reasons I've heard for the more typical 3-5 MOA un-performance of the Mini-14 are occasional bore restriction from the clamp-on gas port/fixed piston, and an unfortunate barrel whip harmonic made worse by how light the barrel is in the first place. Bad combination.

Several over-priced remedies have been developed and sold to "fix" the Mini, but no one I personally know has ever tried one. Notably, one of the first Soldier of Fortune 3-gun matches was won by a guy shooting a *rebarreled* Mini-14.

I've owned a Mini 14 GB and my brother owned a Mini 30. Several friends own Mini 14's an none ever shot any better than a WASR 10. I understand the new ones with the new style barrels are better.

Over the years I have owned about a mixed half dozen mini 14's and mini 30's. I have always had a love hate relationship with itthis rifle. When it first came out it was a good bullet hose gun at half the cost of an AR platform. I have had some tat after a litle honing and a glass bedding job similiar to what we were doing on m1-A's that would shoot about 1.5 inches at 100 yards. The last mini 14 i had was very unpredicable, one day it would shoot 1.5 moa, the next week with the same ammo 4 moa. My understanding is that the main reaso they shot poorly was the lightwieght barrel. the new maodel mini 14's hav a slightly beefier barrel. Ruger made the barel thicker in some places to act as a harmonic balance of sort. I have the new mni 14 and with ok ammo it is shooting a solid 2 moa consistantly.

I like the rifle because it is handy and fairly light(the new ones are a little heavier and feel very solid) the rifle is easy for my daughters to shoot and they love it, I like it because on the sound it makes as it cycles, it is a rifle of iron and wood and in this day of plastic everything I like the feel.

I have a series #187 SS Ranch Rifle that shot 3-4" before mods using XM-193 ammo. I found a forum about 6 months ago that has ALOT of Mini 14/30 info (perfectunion.com). I did ALL the suggested mods (cheaply) as I am a machinist/fabricator. Can't say what had the most effect as I did them all at once. Trigger job (sweet at 2.5 lbs with an over travel stop), Bedded action (like an M1A), floated gas block to stock fore end, Lap and retorque gas block with smaller bushing orifice (.040"), 1911 recoil bushings at both ends of OP Rod, barrel strut made of .625" titanium rod clamped to bottom of barrel with UTG clamps. It now will shoot just over 1" at 100 yds with a Leupold 3-9x40 Rifleman off a Harris and a bag. Just had the barrel threaded (by a gunsmith) and re-crowned (can add more weight at the end to help ANY barrel whip still present and the crown probably NEEDED a touch-up). It shoots tighter than any of my friends ARs. Best Regards!! Joe

My dealer says he's never seen one that wasn't improved by a flash suppressor. Something about changed harmonics.

I own a new mini 14 Target. With the better ammo it is a little more accurate, nothing I would use for comp but a good rifle for coyote hunting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mid-1980s, my only real experience with one was a friend's stainless model with something similar to a Weaver K-4 on top.

First guy I ever knew who had rifle ammo in bulk in a .50-caliber ammo can.

It shot 1-1.3 MOA every time either one of us benched it, with those not so special 55-gr SP reloads. The stock fit tight enough and the trigger sucked. He tried to reduce it by drilling one spring hole deeper and broke the drill bit...but some after-hours time with the EDM machine there at BYU fixed that. He had GOOD friends.

Those were some fun times.

Anyway, the two more credible reasons I've heard for the more typical 3-5 MOA un-performance of the Mini-14 are occasional bore restriction from the clamp-on gas port/fixed piston, and an unfortunate barrel whip harmonic made worse by how light the barrel is in the first place. Bad combination.

Several over-priced remedies have been developed and sold to "fix" the Mini, but no one I personally know has ever tried one. Notably, one of the first Soldier of Fortune 3-gun matches was won by a guy shooting a *rebarreled* Mini-14. </div></div>

It's interesting that you bring up this story, because my dad has an old Mini-14 that shoots very similar to what you describe. I have little experience with Mini-14's besides my dad's, and 2 ranch rifles. The 2 ranch rifles I shot couldn't shoot worth a F*@#. I was trying to sight in a scope and thought something was wrong with my shooting, then I realized it was the rifle. I couldn't believe how inconsistent the rifle was, because I had always shot my father's Mini. Then one day I went to help another friend sight in his Mini-14 ranch rifle, and it shot similar to the other one, not worth a damn. I don't know the the serial number, but I know it's before they were making ranch rifles.

The trigger on the thing is heavy, and pretty rough. It's had an aftermarket flash hider on it since before I was born. One of those "screw on" flash hiders that is held in place by an allen screw. Dad said it helped quite a bit in how it shot, and he's never taken it off since then. I can bench the rifle and with handloads it'll shoot right at 1" or just over that for 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Occasionally it'll print something a bit smaller than 1", like around .75" or so. 2 of the bullets will sometimes be touching each other, and the other is thrown out a bit. Dad's is just an old mini with the single blade front site. But still, if I focus on the sights and how I pull that awful trigger, it'll always put up something around 1" groups (sometimes a little larger). Obviously it's not something that you would compare to an AR or a "precision" rifle, but it's something my dad has had since before I was born. Apparently dad got one that was a "shooter" or special, because EVERYBODY says I'm a liar. It happens so often, that I don't even bring it up most of the time. The only reason I mention it here is because apparently someone else has had a similar experience. Other than the flash hider, the rifle has never been modified, and to be honest, I'm afraid to touch anything on it because it shoots the way it does, and that's apparently VERY rare. If any are interested, I'll find out tomorrow the first 3 on the number.

I have heard part of the accuracy problems with the older version was when they pressed on the front sight it would sometimes warp the barrel. Saying that it has always done what it was designed for. An inexpensive, reliable, self defense/ranch rifle good to about 200 yards.At even 4 or 6 MOA it will get the job done. I used them when I was a prison guard and they are a good rifle for that type of job. The cost has gotten out of hand however.

Bought mine in '86' for $300.00. Stainless, open sights, 1:10" twist so I never fired anything heavier than 55 grain ball ammo in it and have always been happy with its accuracy of 1.5-3 MOA.
Looking back, as its chambered in .223, I probably should be fair and try some high quality ammo suited to its chamber and twist rate.

I understand they get worse than that, but mine is satisfactory.

I too like the Garand like, wood and steel feel of the Mini-14.

i have owned 3 of them all were bought in the late 90's and it is what it says it is a ranch rifle it light weight great to have on the side of your horse or on the front of your 4 wheeler it reliable and if your shooting at any thing the size of a raccoon or larger at 100 yards open sights you can hit it. i don't think it was ever intended as a marksman rifle if that's what you are looking for than buy a rifle intended for that purpose.

why buy a rifle like a min 14 and try to turn it into something it is not or was never intended to be.

Got one of those "different" (?) models in the mid 80's, and it is a fun "spray and pray" toy to play with. Here's a pic that I stole:
800px-RugerMini14-F30GB004.jpg

I expect nothing from it, though the day I have to fix bayonet's and prepare to repel boarders/zombies, it will be splashed with buckets of water once in a while, to cool off the barrel. It does run, and it can be fun. Just don't expect anything from it.

Serious business requires serious equipment. That's in another lock-up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ekaphoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard part of the accuracy problems with the older version was when they pressed on the front sight it would sometimes warp the barrel. Saying that it has always done what it was designed for. An inexpensive, reliable, self defense/ranch rifle good to about 200 yards.At even 4 or 6 MOA it will get the job done. I used them when I was a prison guard and they are a good rifle for that type of job. The cost has gotten out of hand however. </div></div>i had one in the early 80's the barrel was crap and gas system/front end mounting to the stock also sights ...5 moa at best ,100 yds !ruger to me is a junk maker like Jennings,high point etc never again from me !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cz777</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ekaphoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard part of the accuracy problems with the older version was when they pressed on the front sight it would sometimes warp the barrel. Saying that it has always done what it was designed for. An inexpensive, reliable, self defense/ranch rifle good to about 200 yards.At even 4 or 6 MOA it will get the job done. I used them when I was a prison guard and they are a good rifle for that type of job. The cost has gotten out of hand however. </div></div>i had one in the early 80's the barrel was crap and gas system/front end mounting to the stock also sights ...5 moa at best ,100 yds !ruger to me is a junk maker like Jennings,high point etc never again from me ! </div></div>

Holy crap! In the same class as Jennings? Or Hi-Point? (And why is it <span style="color: #3366FF">Hi</span>-Point anyway, are they saying Hi?)

You seem bitter. Did someone from Ruger also crap on your lawn?

FWIW I have a 1990 (S/N 188-#####) standard version ranch rifle I bought used. The previous owner cut the factory 18 inch barrel down to 16 inch and re-crowned it, added an unusually long (about 4 inch) flash hider/front sight combo that was pinned on the under side and allen-screwed. It cut MOA from a little over 3 down to about 1.5 with Remington factory 45 grains. I have read elsewhere that shortening these barrels sometimes reduces the vibration issue, I suspect that worked on my rifle. I took off the flash hider and saw no change in accuracy.