• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger mini 14

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
Fellas i am not much on the AR 15 rifles but yet i feel the need to have a semi auto 223 for or if the zombies ever attack. I have always liked the ruger mini 14 but i know the accuracy sucks. I am benchrest shooter and accuracy is in my blood so i am not real sure what to think about getting a mini because of the lack of accuracy potential. I also understand the new rugers are better but i guess i need to know how much better they really are? Also how hard would it be to put a new custom barrel on a mini? I have my own lathe now and i think i could probably do this if its doable. Basically fellas i need to know what you guys know about the mini 14. can it be made to shoot, how well will it shoot out of the box and just whatever else you want to say about the mini 14. i am doing some homework here before i let go of any cash, so please feel free to help me out. thanks lee

Re: Ruger mini 14

Yes it can be made to shoot, for the money.
I have a uset to be mini with a 20inch long ,1x9 twist,douglas barrel,that is .900 in dia with no taper from the chamber to the business end for a lack of better term.Also has a tight azz .223 match chamber...Plillar bedded and a 2lb trigger.Extremely heavy rifle.
Done by ASI in Co,sev yrs past.
The newer tactical with the newer barrel and sights are a little better.
Right after my eyes healed from cataract surgery,I was shooting a 12 oz coke can at 100,150,and 200 yds consistant,off a backyd picknic table and sand bag rest .With one.
I love them and hate them at the same time.
And have wanted someone to pick the ball up and build a modified scaled down version of the M1A for yrs.in .223 etc.
and the magazine issue ,cost is still there.
People will tell you both yes and no,get and AR.
The latest ones ,are faily good ,and tech sights have a replacement rear sight.
Handy ,and loveable is how I felt about the tactical in the plain black stock.
And I have an older 182-series mini that will hit a squirrel at 100 yds ,first shot every time,it has a williams replacement rear peep sight installed,but after the second shot ,accuracey goes way way way off,barrel heat .
There is a you tube video someone put up on mini 14 barrel whip,slowed down showing what every mini shooter has exsperianced.
And I know the design guy is dead now,but he and Mr Ruger,for being superior designers of guns ,well,when I was younger I would have like to explain it to em personal.
Clark Custom used to do some mods but no longer do them.
ASI in Co.,is about the only place.
And I have yet to find any one to create or mill a Mini 14 reciever to be able to use M1A sights...
Ruger forum,perfectunion.com ,used to the place for this info.
So a tack driver, yeah for 2200.00 on your fire arm.Or much more depending.

The mini 14 has potential, but it will cost you some money to get it to shoot real good. I get 2-3 moa from mine with an accustrut(a device that attaches to the barrel), that's good enough for me, but if you are looking for a 1/2moa group, good luck. I think maybe 1 moa at the best.

These guys charge $800 to get your mini 14 to "sub moa" rifle(which is proabably a 1 moa rifle)... http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php

Yes, the new ones are better than the old ones, you are looking at 2 moa vs a 6 moa rifle. Mine was the older rifle, but with the Accustrut it became a 2-3 moa rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So a new model with an accu strut will be a 1moa right?? LOL!!! Thanks Lee </div></div>
No, the Accustrut only improves the older mini 14. But then again it will prevent the newer mini 14 barrel to barrel whip after it gets warmed up. The accustrut prevents vertical strings after warm up.
A mini 14 is at best a 2 moa rifle, unless you start spending some money on it. Mine will get consitent 3 moa groups. Which is good enough to hit a torso size target at 400 yards, I sure can't hit anything smaller than 18" at the distance tho.

Have you shot a mini 14?

Dollar for Dollar an AR will outshoot a mini 14. But if you want something different, its possible to make them very accurate. Now you have to decide how much novelty is worth.

I had a 183-series mini bought early 80's. When I first bought it I loved it and was enamored with Ruger firearms in general. They were rugged, no-nonsense, reliable firearms that took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. I didn't do much paper punching in those days and minute of milk jug accuracy was good enough. But as time went on I got a little more interested in accuracy and the sizzle in the relationship turned more into a fizzle. I reloaded endless numbers of rounds trying to find SOMEthing that would make it shoot better. I had to do my accuracy testing at 50 yds because some of the groups were so huge at 100 half the rounds missed the paper. This is no exageration.

The best 5 rd group I ever remember was 1.25" at 50 yds. I went on to the AR platform later but kept the mini around until very recently. I shot it some one day about a year ago and when I tore it down for cleaning before I put it up, I noticed some small stress cracks in the bolt. OK, no problem, sent it to Ruger expecting them to fit me a new bolt and send it back. Wrong. They sent me a email saying it would not be worth fixing. They offered me a new one at a "reasonable price" which was a little under dealer cost, or they could send me mine back with strict cautions not to fire it and they could not be responsible for anything if I did. After a while to think about it, I went ahead and got the new one and had my FFL dealer just sell it for me. The cost of this one was a good bit more than the $314 I gave for my original, but either way I was out that $314 gun because I had already searched hi and low for a bolt I could headspace myself.

Regardless of any super duper accuracy claims for the new ones, I can't see me ever owning another one when I can buy ANY part of an AR right here in town if I need it and even the Blackthorne kit guns I put together a few years ago are capable of MOA accuracy with the right reloads. I lost a lot of respect for Ruger in this latest exchange as well. They can't even replace a bolt in their own guns? come on.

If you're going to spend that kind of $ talked about here to accurize a Mini-14, and don't want an AR, get a SCAR. Sub-MOA out of the box, great ergonomics and handling, takes AR mags.

3moa just isnt accurate enough for me, no matter how i think of it. That really sucks to. I like the looks of a mini over the AR anyday. I also hate that poinggg noise that AR's make. sounds like something is going to break. I guess i just dont have much choice here. if i want a semi auto 223 that i can afford its looking like the AR is the only real way to go. i want to hunt coyotes as well so maybe a rock river predator pursuit will do? Lee

If writing in reference to my accuracy story, let me remind you mine was an OLD mini-not a recent build. I hear all the stories how they're not that way any more, but I'm soured on them now. The non-availability of many parts, the inherent inaccuracy that mine had, the fact that Ruger couldn't/wouldn't fix it--all added up to a no go no mo. I thought maybe they had changed their bolt design and had to tool up or something to build an old-style bolt, but when I got the new one I pulled the bolt and it looked identical to my old one. I boxed the new gun back up and put it up for sale.
The AR platform has accuracy built in apparently-even I can throw an upper together and pin it to a lower and shoot better groups than the mini EVER did. I now own 5 AR types.
The mini was good in one area though-it was as reliable a gun I ever held in my hands. You could count on it's ability to darken the sky with lead long as you could feed it. The only problem I ever had was magazine related (other than the broken bolt) since for years you could only buy aftermarket hicaps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3moa just isnt accurate enough for me, no matter how i think of it. That really sucks to. I like the looks of a mini over the AR anyday. I also hate that poinggg noise that AR's make. sounds like something is going to break. I guess i just dont have much choice here. if i want a semi auto 223 that i can afford its looking like the AR is the only real way to go. i want to hunt coyotes as well so maybe a rock river predator pursuit will do? Lee</div></div>

I have one of the new models . I stuck it in a houge overmold stock , put a military shooting sling on it and a slide buffer I can shoot about a 4-6 inch group at 100 yds with iron sights and barnes 62 grain tsx bullets . after deer season when I have time to tinker I am go to install an accu-strut. but really with my worn out eyes Im afraid this is going to be about as good as it gets unless I install a scope and that is getting away from why I purchased the rifle in the first place . I wanted a beat around no frills rifle that I can hit a deer or coyote with at 100-200 yds .
I also have 7 ar rifles so its not like I dont have other options I just wanted something different.

I've had a few Mini's over the years. They are no precision rifle but they aren't marketed as one either. I have a couple AR's right now and yes, dollar for dollar an AR will whip the Mini's ass all day and night long but............ I do have a soft spot for the little Mini. I'll buy another one soon as a "just to have" plinker. Wood stock / stainless Rancher with a simple scope and it'll be time to go play.

To bad they take so much to make shoot better.

I have a Mini14 I bought new in 1985 with the factory folding stock. It will go bang as well as any gun I own. Very reliable. For accuracy testing I take a Hula-Hoop and place it about 30 feet to my right on the ground. Then I shoot a ten shot group to 100 yards. Take the freshly fired upon target and compare it to the group of expelled brass in the Hula-Hoop. The brass generally wins. But it is fun to shoot!
Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ol Rob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Mini14 I bought new in 1985 with the factory folding stock. It will go bang as well as any gun I own. Very reliable. For accuracy testing I take a Hula-Hoop and place it about 30 feet to my right on the ground. Then I shoot a ten shot group to 100 yards. Take the freshly fired upon target and compare it to the group of expelled brass in the Hula-Hoop. The brass generally wins. But it is fun to shoot!
Rob </div></div>

THIS is absolute classic! Best description I ever heard on mini14 accuracy!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ol Rob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Mini14 I bought new in 1985 with the factory folding stock. It will go bang as well as any gun I own. Very reliable. For accuracy testing I take a Hula-Hoop and place it about 30 feet to my right on the ground. Then I shoot a ten shot group to 100 yards. Take the freshly fired upon target and compare it to the group of expelled brass in the Hula-Hoop. The brass generally wins. But it is fun to shoot!
Rob </div></div>

I couldn't help myself, I had to steal the Hula-Hoop quote for my sig-block.

you will be happy with the RR predator pursuit---mine is sub-MOA with almost any factory loads--the only thing a Mini-14 has going for it is the obvious aesthetic appeal---maybe they will revamp it and tap into the accuracy potential

A Mini-14 is not an anti-Zombie capable rifle. It goes beyond the accuracy issues. Off brand magazines are not reliable. Parts need to be procured from a single maker, Ruger. It's not a modular weapon.

The AR is a zombie capable platform for the opposite of all the above issue.