• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Mk II

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    I just recently received this pistol after my Grandfather's passing back in June. He had a modest collection but this one caught my eye so I expressed my interest in keeping it in the family. When I was a kid my Dad and I would go up to my Grandfather's house and shoot .22's in the backyard. Sometimes my Grandfather would bring out his Ruger SingleSix too but mainly it was just Dad and I. When I received the pistol it had seen better days, it was rusty and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a looonnnng time. This isn't surprising, my Grandfather was a little "care free" when it came to firearms, a couple of walls, a clock, and the floor pan of a truck can attest to that. After a couple of hours with some CLP, toothbrushes, OOOO steel wool, and elbow grease I managed to get it looking as you see in the photos. None the less I thought that this could be a fun project to breath some new life into the pistol so that eventually my daughter can enjoy it too.

IMG_4265.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

IMG_4268.jpg

Currently on the drawing board is to reblue the pistol, lack of maintenance has really taken it's toll on the finish. I've never tried to do this myself so I'm going to practice on an old .410 shotgun that I have first. I'll probably replace the stock plastic grips with something better but haven't decided yet. I do have my eye on some Cocobolo grips that I saw at Brownells though. Other than that I plan to drop it into a nice TripleK holster that I found perusing the internet this past week.

s7_223529_999_01.jpg

Looking forward to getting this one started.

Re: Ruger Mk II

I know DuraCoat will work but I think re-bluing it will look better and if I muck it up then DC it is. On another note I went and shot it this afternoon and it's a good shooter, it ate everything I fed it like it should. I can't say the same for the Sig Mosquito that's still sitting in the box upstairs though. I did realize that I'll need one or two extra magazines though.

Contact Ruger about a reblue, I have heard they are extremely reasonably priced and gun will come back like new.
    Nice looking pistol by the way, everybody needs some character, should be a blast to shoot.

Funny you guys should mention that, I just talked to them today to get an RMA to send it back. It's only $110 for a complete rebluing with return shipping and a two week turn around so I figured why not.