• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Mk ll handguns

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
I hope this is the right place to put this, so, here it goes.
My Old Lady put a Ruger Mk ll that was torn down to the last pin, spring,etc together for a friend of mine.
I had tried but could not find a good enough diagram to get it done and had put it on the back burner.
While I was gone elk hunting she got it out and found what she needed to put it back together. I was duly impressed upon my returned home.
She took it out and fired it and fell in love with it.
Since it does not belong to us and is a family thing, I want to get one for my Old Lady to replace it.
It is a stainless target model with 5 1/2 bbl.
I have looked around and found that there are many models of Mkll and am wondering what to get her.
The Mk lll has some good things and some bad so I don't know if I should buy her a new one or keep looking around for a Mk ll.
Should I go for a slab side, bull bbl. long bbl. stainless or blue?
So many things to think of, but I do want to get her something. She deserves it since she can't keep this one.
I would apprciate your advice as I know little about these pieces and the more I look the more confused I become.
Thank you, Regards, FM

Re: Ruger Mk ll handguns

The MkII's are getting harder to find. Most don't like the saftey "features" of the MkIII's, thus higher prises on the
MkII's As far as what to get her, Stay with the target model.
Blued or Stainless, both are good. Stainless being easier to
clean and keep looking nice. The 5 1/2" barrel handels very well
the longer slab side might not balance as well for her, but they are very nice also. What it will come down to is what you can find for sale and at a good price.

The Mark II Target, 5.5 inch barrel, stainless steel is one fine gun. I bought mine second hand at a gun shop, and the only thing that I've ever had to do to it is replace the ejector mechanism (very inexpensive fix). It's extremely handsome as well. I earned the NRA/Winchester rating of "distinguished expert" in the handgun category with this pistol. I've seen the Mark III, and I strongly prefer the Mark II. I would highly recommend this handgun to you.

Cordially,
Blanco

I like the 22/45's a little better than the rest. I like the looks, side mag release. I know you can replace parts that keep the pistol from firing w/o a mag in.

I had been away from rim fire for several years when I decided to get another Ruger and bought the MKIII. Within a month I converted it to a MKII due to the magazine disconnect saftey and the loaded chamber indicator.

The mag disconnect added to a heavier trigger pull and also added additionla assembly/disassembly steps. The loaded chamber indicator got gummed up and caused reliability problems.

I do like that the MKIII drilled and tapped rail mount is ready to go out of the box which made mounting a red dot simple.

As for which one to buy, I have always been a fanof the 5.5 bull barrel for the balance.

Thank you all for your input.
I think I would rather buy a Mk ll and avoid the OSHA triggers and loaded chamber indicator.
It would be nice to have the magazine release button but other things considered I don't want to do modifications to make it reliable.
I will look for something and am now cosidering going to blued as the Squaw has skin reactions to nickle as used in the stainless steel.
When she re-assemled this piece she got a small sliver in her thumb and it is now swelled up bad.
I got the sliver out I think, but why handle something that makes you sick?
As much as she loves to shoot this piece and I do understand that her fondness for it since she re-assembled it I think she would be better off with something blued,
Again, thank you for your input.
Regards, FM

Buy her THAT pistol. $$$ will get it done.... So get on it!

Ruger MkII's are the way to go. I have a MkIII but am considering trading it in for a MkII if I can find one.

The MKII stainless target model with the 5 1/2" bull barrel was my first pistol purchase when I turned 21. Still have it today and it goes out with me on just about every range trip. Had the grip section of the bolt break off way back when and they replaced the bolt for me (the old ones were a 2 part deal with the grip section welded on.....they have since changed it to a one piece part). Also had the front 1/4" section of the firing pin break off recently. I just paid the $3.50 or so for a replacement.

I like them enough that I bought 4 additional MKIIs over the years......3 just like the first, except blued (would have gotten stainless, but these were local used buys), and a 6" tapered barrel version with the fixed sights (hardly ever shoot this one). As far as picking one for the wife. If it isn't going to be a suprise or anything like that, I'de let her hold some of the different variations and see what balances the best for her. I like stainless, but the blued ones have held up fine too. The MKIIIs have the nice mag release, but I hate that gashing hole down the side for the loaded chamber indicator and I'm not crazy about the mag disconnect feature either. Takedown is a little more involved with the mag disconnect as well......you have to have the mag in to drop the hammer. Fun guns either way.

I've got a MK II Gov't Target, blued with the 6 7/8" barrel. It is an absolute shooter.

I've also got a MK III threaded version. I can't bring myself to messing with the Gov't Target, it shoots too well to risk it.

Sir,
Any woman who can put that thing together should be choosing her own pistol.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sir,
Any woman who can put that thing together should be choosing her own pistol.
smile.gif
</div></div>
Maybe she has expressed her love and he is trying to give her a surprise gift.
My thought would be that she needs to "hang out her shingle" and offer a cleaning service for all us poor bastards that HATE cleaning the Mk II.

I thank you all for your input.
To have an Old Lady that takes a basket job on and completes it is something else. This pistol had been torn down to the last pin and spring, the two reciever halves seperated, it could go no further.
I had tried to do it and could not find good enough diagrams to finish. The thing has been ongoing for a couole of years.
To say I am proud of her would be an understatment.
I agree, she should pick out her own pistol, and I hope it is blued as she has problems with her skin with just the tiniest sliver from reassembly with stainless causing a swelled up thumb.
I think now that she really has the handle on tear down and re-assembly as she showed me that in about 15 minutes last night.
When she took this on it was just a puzzle to her in a couple of plastic bags, torn down to the last pin and spring.

I will let her pick out her own pistol and gladly buy it for her.
Would it not be nice if all of our Squaws were to be able to have tis talent?
Regards, FM

Sorry I lost my trane of thought.
The bow wows were raising hell and I lost the mouse.
That said, I do appreciate everything you have had to say and will probably be looking for a heavy weight bbl, in either stainless,[least deiriable] or blued.
I want to thank all of you for helping me out on this.
I had no idea as to how many variations there are out there, and hope you all keep chiming in on this.
All that said, I agree with someone who said,"If she can assemble a gun from parts, she should pick out what she wants." or there abouts.
I could not agree more, so she may come back with a hand cannon or something I don't like.
It is up to her, but I would bet on her buying a nice MK ll and giving whoever sells it to her a run for his money.
I am fortunate to have an Old Lady who is smart enough to do things on her own and make me really proud of her.
I love her and wish all of you could have something like this, even after 42 years with the same Old Growler.
Regards, FM
PS It has been 44 years of hell let loose, I forgot how to count.

rth 1800 you are correct in saying that if she is able to put it together she should pick out her own.
shoot 4 fun, you are more along the lines of my thinking.
She put this basket case together and loves it; since it belongs to my friend and she knows this, and it must be returned to him, I would like to buy her something comparable as a gift, she would not have to wait for Christmas if I found a piece to present to her.
She has shot about 700 rds since the re-assembly and is quite good with it.
I just want to get her something better or as good for a gift.
I have decided that a MK lll is not the answer or I would have gone out and bought her a new one. Too much OSHA stuff.
I guess I will wait and let her find what she wants at a gun show.
Thank you all for your input. Regards, FM
PS She showed me AGAIN how easy it is to tear down and clean last night. I wish she could keep what she has but that is not in the books.

One thing to keep in mind is the grip angle is different from the mark ii to the 22/45

When I hold a mark ii (or a glock) it points at the ceiling.

I prefer the 22/45
I will do upgrades later to take off the mag safety and do the slingshot mod.

I have a Mk3 22/45 - bought the Volquartsen kit and my smith, one of the absolute best, saw how screwed up that magazine safety was so we put a MK2 accurizing kit in it, removed the mag safety and this is the absolute SWEETEST shooting pistol...

I used to hunt Ptarmagen up in Alaska with my gov model, 5.5" bull barrel, so now I have another and I intend to go grouse hunting soon with it!!

Go with the Mk3 22/45 - get the Mk2 accurizing kit and a good gunsmith

NOTE: The Mk3's are a PITA to get apart the first few times - be VERY careful!!!!!!!!! My frustration led me to replace a couple of items
smile.gif

I thank you all for your input.
It seems as though the Mk II are kind of the way to go without having some work done on a Mk III.
I will continue to hunt for a nice Mk II as my squaw deserves it.
I talked with my friend who owns the pistol today and he was thinking that since the Old Lady had "Got er Done." that maybe we should just figure out something for him to shoot and let it go at that.
I am all for that as the Squaw keeps bringing home these nice targets and would trade me in if she could keep the Mk II.
Nice thread, and I thank you all.
Regards, FM

I sorta "bad lucked" into my 5.5 stainless bull barrel Mk II. I had been eyeballing the Browning Buckmark.

Right now, if I had to buy a new 22 autoloader, it would be the Ruger, the Buckmark, a GSG 1911, or an EAA Witness in 9mm w/ the 22lr conversion kit. Tough choice all around...

I guess this is one more vote for hitting a large gunshow or well stocked shop and letting her fondle 'em all. If there is a range with rentals, or a range with somewhat organized rimfire matches, all the better....

Today I took the Old Lady, Squaw, Pantie 6, to Cabelas and let her look around.
That clerk earned his hour and a halfs pay and was very helpful.
She picked out a Beretta U22 Neos, with me promising to keep looking for a MK II, a promise I will keep.
It looks a little Buck Rogers or Star trek to me, but the price isn't too bad.
There was not a single Mk II in the store. Plenty of Mk IIIs, but she has decided it is a MkII only.
She has to wait for it as the store is in Neb. and we live 35 miles south in Colo. so a dealer friend has to get it for her.
It will do her good to wait as it isn't time for Santa yet.
Thank you all for your input.
Do any of you have any experience with these Berettas?
Regards, FM

I have the Ruger slab side and it is very accurate.
I also have the older Gov't mdl with a scope I use for squirrel hunting.
Try looking on Rimfirecentral.com classifieds for the MKII.
They go quick so ck often. Also gun shows and pawn shops are good places to look. A lot of guns appear at pawn shops at the end of hunting season and right before the holidays.

Coach

I've got a MKII competition slabside I might can be talked out of.
Just got it on trade and am deciding if I want to play with it(spend money upgrading) or pass it on.

Coach. I have thought about those things and thank you for the rimfirecentral idea.
I have been feeling around on there.
We have no pawn shops in our area, we are really remote, but do check them in the City when there.
She ordered one of those Berretta Neos and I hope it gets here before Christmas.
I WILL find her the Ruger sometime, just don't know when or how.
In the meantime, she has the one she put together to shoot and my friend isn't pushing to get it back.
She is now looking at all the variations out there and trying to decide what she really wants.
Long story short, never say,"I will get you what you want."
This is going to going on for a while and I hope she is satisfied with the Berreta and forgets about it but know in my heart I owe her one and will take my time finding the right Ruger.
Thank you all for your help on this matter. Good advice.
Regards, FM