• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger no. 1

I’d sell you my #1 but it’s .375H&H, which isn’t quite straight walled. Almost….
After picking up the 510 Whisper No.1 from a Hide member last month, this thread made me wonder about just how these straight walled rules/laws are written? (the 510 having a tiny shoulder on the outside, but being straight walled internally)

Reactions: hseII
After picking up the 510 Whisper No.1 from a Hide member last month, this thread made me wonder about just how these straight walled rules/laws are written? (the 510 having a tiny shoulder on the outside, but being straight walled internally)
I would think that would still qualify, your saying the brass is just thicker?

Thick brass with a tiny shoulder turned into it for headspace. Cut down 416 Rigby/338LM brass.

(In reality it’s a irrelevant to me because I don’t hunt one of those states, just wondering as an “intellectual exercise”)

It gets to me sometimes disassembling some really nice factory rifles but making into something nicer makes it alright .@Deets check out that scope base on this Ruger .
Thanks @SpeedyR

That is in fact an EGW base, although it did require some machining to fit, perhaps a difference in older #1's vs newer ones. With that being said, the base has done fine so far and I've had zero accuracy issues. These #1's aren't known to be particularly consistent, but I got extraordinarily lucky with mine and it was a hammer right out of the box. I did change out to an LPVO with a flip top turret and I love the setup. (You can click for full size image)

Thanks @SpeedyR

That is in fact an EGW base, although it did require some machining to fit, perhaps a difference in older #1's vs newer ones. With that being said, the base has done fine so far and I've had zero accuracy issues. These #1's aren't known to be particularly consistent, but I got extraordinarily lucky with mine and it was a hammer right out of the box. I did change out to an LPVO with a flip top turret and I love the setup. (You can click for full size image)
Great looking setup you have me looking for a blued one now !

Reactions: hseII and Burdy
Great looking setup you have me looking for a blued one now !
Well, that one is actually cerakoted. I had it done in the same color/hardness ratio as the suppressor.

My scope rings should be in tomorrow. Maybe this weekend I’ll get to see how it really shoots. Wasn’t bad with iron sights at 80 yards. But hard to tell how it’s really shooting without a scope.

AR15 riser scope mount on Ruger #1 270 20210326_152729.jpg

I made a scope rail for a #1 out of a Tapco ar15 riser [anodized aluminum weaver rail]

Reactions: Easy_E
My scope rings should be in tomorrow. Maybe this weekend I’ll get to see how it really shoots. Wasn’t bad with iron sights at 80 yards. But hard to tell how it’s really shooting without a scope.
Please share when you get it together.

That was one of my bucket list guns since I owned a Liberty Model and had to sell it. Finally got another.

I wish I still had my first deer rifle. My father had the Ruger No. 1 California Highway Patrol in .38 Spl that he rechambered to 357 Maximum.

Reactions: TorF
I think they feel lighter than they are. When I finally weighed my .243 RSI after owning it for 30+ years, I was surprised at the number.

CEA3A889-B17D-4DEC-A73B-BADE116251FC_1.jpeg

361AC815-D238-4AB1-A559-EDB275B5D6E3.jpeg
I love those RSIs

I think they feel lighter than they are. When I finally weighed my .243 RSI after owning it for 30+ years, I was surprised at the number.

CEA3A889-B17D-4DEC-A73B-BADE116251FC_1.jpeg

361AC815-D238-4AB1-A559-EDB275B5D6E3.jpeg

I think they just balance and point really well and it makes them feel lighter than they are. Even my tropical model in 450-400NE feels nice and not overly heavy.

The scope rail on this rifle is canted to the left. Enough you can see it plain as day. Also the rings don’t sit in the rail perfectly true to each other.

I put the scope in and snugged it, but haven’t torqued it yet.

445A9A5C-D118-49D8-B976-C8DB509808B0.jpeg

9C2889BC-3FD5-4E11-BCD2-874F79A72920.jpeg

Started right, worked it over to center. Then last two shots went high and higher. So she’s cooling off now.

It’s definitely not lacking in the recoil department. Lol

D904CE6A-84D3-4321-B6BE-78C7624D00D8.jpeg

After cooling off, I flinched on the first shot and pulled it left. Next two felt good on my end. I’m sure the bipod mounted on the barrel is not helping me at all.

View attachment 8018246
After cooling off, I flinched on the first shot and pulled it left. Next two felt good on my end. I’m sure the bipod mounted on the barrel is not helping me at all.
No it's not. Put the forend on a bag. You are dealing with a rifle that will always have it's stock in contact with the barrel and you need to remove any inconsistencies in barrel to forend pressure.

Reactions: Deets
Will do, I’ll pull the forend and see what the surface contact looks like also.

I’ve wondered about how the swivel stud is mounted with a band around the barrel too. I understand why they did it that way, it’s just one more thing that influences the barrel.

I love the no1try shooting it off a rest ,and put it as close to the receiver as you can and see how she does ,my 45/70 no 1 with barns 250gr puts them right at a MOA good luck.

Reactions: Deets
Not the best picture. Ruger No.1V in 220 Swift rebarreled by the late Robert Gradous and finished a few months before he passed away. Kreiger 4 groove 26" 1-12 barrel. Scoipe mounts made by D'Arcy Echols. Kepplinger set trigger and Hicks Accurizer glass bedded in forend.

Ruger No. 1.JPG

Not the best picture. Ruger No.1V in 220 Swift rebarreled by the late Robert Gradous and finished a few months before he passed away. Kreiger 4 groove 26" 1-12 barrel. Scoipe mounts made by D'Arcy Echols. Kepplinger set trigger and Hicks Accurizer glass bedded in forend.

View attachment 8018545
Very nice!

I wouldn’t mind a heavier contour in 24” for this 45-70. I don’t mind the extra weight, I’m not hiking through mountains with it. Only have to go about 100 yards to one stand or 150 to the other stand from my back door.

Nice looks like your ready to go smoke a big buck ,i think you got a shooter there!

You guys are killing me. I have to break out my No1. It's one of my favorite rifles that I don't shoot much. I really don't have a much use for a 300 win mag here in upstate NY. I have other rifles to hunt with. Deer aren't that hard to kill, I usually hunt with my Rem 700 MTN rifle in 7x57, I also like the handiness of my Ruger 77 RSI in 308. This year there was a new addition to the collection. I built a 6mm-250 on a Zermatt Origin action in a Bell Carlson stock. Not much around here requires (my opinion) a magnum cartridge.
I've taken it to a couple gun shows in the past to try and trade for another No1 with sights of a more usable (to me) cartridge. I was thinking of a rebarrel, but it just sits in the back of the safe ready to pounce one day.

Mike

Reactions: vhntr1
I wish I still had my first deer rifle. My father had the Ruger No. 1 California Highway Patrol in .38 Spl that he rechambered to 357 Maximum.

The 357Max loaded long for a single shot is the perfect round for deer.
It's much easier to shoot than a 45-70.
My scoped 357max 10" Contender shot 4" 5-shot groups at 200m back in the Ihmsa days, last century.

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc
The 357Max in a single shot is the perfect round for deer.
It's much easier to shoot than a 45-70.
My scoped 357max 10" Contender shot 4" 5-shot groups at 200m back in the Ihmsa days, last century.
So essentially they need to make a 350 legend?

I live in Illinois and have been taking deer for 30 years with my Ithaca Deerslayer 12 gauge. That being said when I heard that Illinois was allowing straight wall cartridges I decided to go the budget route. I just ordered a single shot CVA Scout in 44 magnum, my shots are 150 yards max and in. I should be receiving it this week, I researched it extensively and it seems like it should do the job.

Reactions: hseII and Deets