• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger precision 22

HotRod53

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
Fairfield IL.
Well I go pick up my rifle next saturday cant wait kinda like a kid waiting for 1xmas to come. I was thinking id spend around 250.$ on a scope im thinking vortex crossfire2 like a 4x12 with adjustable ao but still trying to deside but I do know it will be a vortex iv had very good luck with vortex scopes customer service is perfct with them. I habe another ? to ask i will be shooting alot a 50 yards or less and sometimes out to around 100 yards do I need to change the 30moa scope base to 0moa or will I be all right with the 30moa base?

You don't need 30moa to shoot 100yds and it could cause problems if you try to zero at 50 or less. A lot depends on the scope reticle and the amount of elevation the scope has. I would go with a 0moa base and Burris signature rings and start with the 0 moa inserts. you can always add moa with these rings if needed.

I've got the Burris XTR Signature rings on the 0 MOA rail. The combination of inserts and ring spacing has me at approximately 18 MOA. No problem getting a 50 yard zero with my Vortex DB 6-24.

I’ve got a Vortex Venom with the 30MOA base and I can zero at 50.

I have a Athlon Argos on the 30moa and had zero problems zeroing at 50. Also have the same rifle built for my wife with arken and no problem at a 50yd zero also on the 30 base.

I don't have a ruger but my CZ with a 30MOA rail and a vortex diamondback tactical will zero at 25 yards. If you stretch it out past 100 you will want some drop in the mounts. .22's are a different animal as the ranges are closer than most centerfire scopes. Parallax is another major factor when considering a rimfire scope

I have a SWFA 3-15x on a 30 MOA rail and had no problem obtaining a 50m zero.

If your scope lacks the elevation adjustment required to do this, I would suggest that maybe it's not the correct scope for long-range rimfire use.

Reactions: kmckinnon
Friends don't let friends buy Ruger rifles.
The Ruger "Precision" Rimfire is only named that due to it's resemblance of it's larger cousin, the Ruger Precision Rifle. The word "precision" should not be taken literally.

However, if Ruger decides to take my advice and produce a takedown variant of their bolt action American Rimfire, I'm all over that rifle like a fat kid on cake.

Reactions: 502Chevelle
Well I go pick up my rifle next saturday cant wait kinda like a kid waiting for 1xmas to come. I was thinking id spend around 250.$ on a scope im thinking vortex crossfire2 like a 4x12 with adjustable ao but still trying to deside but I do know it will be a vortex iv had very good luck with vortex scopes customer service is perfct with them. I habe another ? to ask i will be shooting alot a 50 yards or less and sometimes out to around 100 yards do I need to change the 30moa scope base to 0moa or will I be all right with the 30moa base?
I would keep the 30moa base, and get Burris XTR Signature rings or Burris signature ZEE rings, you can add or take off MOA with the rings. you can set your scope for max adjust. I would set it up for long range. You may not shoot it now, but you will be setup for it. IMO
Mark

My 2 cents,........If I read the specs right , the crossfire II 4-12x50 has only 50 MOA of internal elevation adjustment. That could give you issues with a 30 moa base if you want to zero at 50 yds or below. ( Rule of thumb is that MOA of rail should not exceed 1/2 the available elevation adjustment in the scope) You could buy a 0/15 MOA rail and/or Burris rings and inserts but I'd say just put that extra $50 into your scope budget and get something with 60+ MOA of internal adjustment. You'll get a better scope overall AND the ability to grow with the rifle ( vs a Band-Aid ). Athlon Talos /Argos and Vortex Diamondback Tactical come to mind in the $300 range but there are others.

Last edited:
Give the 30 MOA mount a try. I believe you will be fine but who knows. I ran an ancient Nikon Monarch 4-16 on my RPRR while I waited for its final scope. I had zero issue getting a 25 and 50 yard zero. I don't know how much internal travel the scope has but I don't think much considering it's a 1" tube.

Edit to add. Google says it has 40 MOA of travel.