• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision 338 LM

JoeMinVail

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2021
Vail AZ
Hello All,
I just got a Ruger Precision in 338 LM. I scoped it initailly with a "Walmart " Nikon and played around with it. I like it better than my 300 Win Mag deer rifle. Much easier to control. Then I got a Osprey 4-40x scope. I really like the glass in that scope. It is better than some of the Big Name scopes I have seen. It is firsty focal plane. I dont like that it has only +- 35MOA of internal adjustment but the Ruger has a 20 MOA rail built in and I understand that I can get a 40 MOA rail if I need it. I got a Osprey 20-60 spotting scope, here agian the glass is cleaner on that one than on the Big Name scope I was looking at. I got a Sig Kilo range finder. I also printed off some pages for a shooting log, I have read how important that is.

Now the hope is that I can start ringing gongs at 1000 yards. Then move out from there. First I am going to find the best handload I can with these ELD bullets. The factory rounds I fired with the other scope were ELD Match and ELD-X in 275 and 285 grains, It seems that those bullets will give me a good starting point. I still have some reloading stuff on order, this is definately a handloader's round. So when I start reaching out there I will have some questions for you fellas, been lurking for a while.

Good Shooting

But also with only 35 MOA adjustment, you’re going to run into issues with firing different ranges with a cartridge like that. Fortunately you can change the rail on top I believe.

Reactions: Howland
I've got the same rifle but it's two years ago so it might be Gen2. My rail is 30 MOA and I anticipated trouble with a scope with only 56 MOA vertical travel but I managed a 200yds zero. Pretty much bottomed out. That leaves almost the whole travel for vertical adjustment.

When you start reloading, first item on the must have list is the Giraud comparator. One end does headspace measurement on the shoulder, flip it around and the other measures to the ogive.

I find the trigger is good but I'm comparing it to hunting rifles and a few budget ARs. The manual has instructions to lighten it. I did by quite a bit.

What kind of groups are you getting ? How’s the trigger?
Actually the trigger is ok on this one. Might lighten it a bit but after some more range time. StI’ll waiting on the reloading stuff to arrive. Factory groups were ok, not great but the low powered Nikon was not helping. so I am going to start fresh

Hello All,
I just got a Ruger Precision in 338 LM. I scoped it initailly with a "Walmart " Nikon and played around with it. I like it better than my 300 Win Mag deer rifle. Much easier to control. Then I got a Osprey 4-40x scope. I really like the glass in that scope. It is better than some of the Big Name scopes I have seen. It is firsty focal plane. I dont like that it has only +- 35MOA of internal adjustment but the Ruger has a 20 MOA rail built in and I understand that I can get a 40 MOA rail if I need it. I got a Osprey 20-60 spotting scope, here agian the glass is cleaner on that one than on the Big Name scope I was looking at. I got a Sig Kilo range finder. I also printed off some pages for a shooting log, I have read how important that is.

Now the hope is that I can start ringing gongs at 1000 yards. Then move out from there. First I am going to find the best handload I can with these ELD bullets. The factory rounds I fired with the other scope were ELD Match and ELD-X in 275 and 285 grains, It seems that those bullets will give me a good starting point. I still have some reloading stuff on order, this is definately a handloader's round. So when I start reaching out there I will have some questions for you fellas, been lurking for a while.

Good Shooting
Hey when you do get to reloading it hit me up. I have a load that shoots lights out in two different Ruger 33LM’s. 285 eld-m’s. Bith rifles we have tried it in we’re .2 moa at 2,920 FPS in one and 2,935 FPS avg in the other.

Reactions: Jscb1b
Hey when you do get to reloading it hit me up. I have a load that shoots lights out in two different Ruger 33LM’s. 285 eld-m’s. Bith rifles we have tried it in we’re .2 moa at 2,920 FPS in one and 2,935 FPS avg in the other.
I’ve heard the 285 ELDs are almost a perfect choice for the RPR 338

I'd love to get that accuracy at those velocities with the 285 ELD-M out of my RPR. Please share your recipe. I've used H1000 and Retumbo so far. Groups start opening up and point of impact starts wandering before I see signs of pressure.