• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle 18083 - Modifications? PRS GEN3?

Samuel Whittemore

in memory
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2018
    So I'll be picking up my new Ruger Precision Rifle (300 PRC) on / about the 13th. I bought a bunch of upgrades --mostly cosmetic from Anarchy Outdoors. Bolt shroud, bolt handle and knob, mag release, safety, Catalyst Arms Fast Track Arca Rail Handguard Anarchy also has a magnum titanium firing pin (that fits this model) coming in the next 2 weeks I plan on getting....

But now, my question, I'm wondering too about that Magpul PRS GEN3 Precision-Adjustable Stock. Is it THAT much better than the factory to shell out another $250. for a hunk of plastic?

I'll be hand loading according to Gavin's YT video. Any other upgrades recommended?

I recently installed one on my RPR. A few considerations:

1. The LOP is LONG. I'm 6' 5" and it doesn't bother me. But many have complained. There is a fix I've read about but I think it's...involved. I actually have my LOP a little extended on mine for comfort but I'm an ent.
    2. I have lots of rounds on both stocks now. My issue with the factory stock is that it sometimes comes loose, especially if you carry it on a pack or in a case or slings, barricades, etc. Particularly after you adjust it or if you ever disassemble it, it's not as secure.
    3. The PRS is definitely more solid, etc. I like the adjustments better and the sling placement and usage.
    4. You really don't give anything up besides money and some shorter possible LOP (unless you modify). You gain (IMO) durability, ease of adjustment, "solidness", and it's Magpul.

Edit: if you sale shop you can get a PRS for closer to 200. I think I paid like 190 shipped.

Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
    I recently installed one on my RPR. A few considerations:

1. The LOP is LONG. I'm 6' 5" and it doesn't bother me. But many have complained. There is a fix I've read about but I think it's...involved. I actually have my LOP a little extended on mine for comfort but I'm an ent.
    2. I have lots of rounds on both stocks now. My issue with the factory stock is that it sometimes comes loose, especially if you carry it on a pack or in a case or slings, barricades, etc. Particularly after you adjust it or if you ever disassemble it, it's not as secure.
    3. The PRS is definitely more solid, etc. I like the adjustments better and the sling placement and usage.
    4. You really don't give anything up besides money and some shorter possible LOP (unless you modify). You gain (IMO) durability, ease of adjustment, "solidness", and it's Magpul.

Edit: if you sale shop you can get a PRS for closer to 200. I think I paid like 190 shipped.

Thanks for the great feedback. I'm 6'1... I'll have to measure my LOP and then check out how to modify it if nec.

does no one run XLR or MDT on the Ruger? Is it not possible since its just an AR style connection

I know I’ve seen XLR stocks on an RPR before. Also consider the new B5 systems precision stock. It is an AR buffer tube (I have even put my RPR stock on am AR just to do it.) it has a weird little tubular piece under it but if you’re swapping stocks I don’t think you need it anymore