• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ruger precision rimfire barrel replacement.

MaRAs77

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2019
I'm looking to upgrade the barrel in my rprf. Looking at Green mountain, E.R.Shaw and Lilja. Three vastly different price points. It looks like the shaw barrel is worth the money but is the Lilja work twice as much? Any experience out there? Also, I hear a lot of people talking about buying the green mountain barrels, but no review on the results. My personal part experience with green mountain had been ok but just wondering if the extra $50-$75 for the shaw results in a better barrel.
Thanks in advance.

It went from an average decent shooter to lights out. I have been so happy with this thing I cant say enough good about it I dont ahout competition or nrl. I do enjoy shooting groups. And this one does that very very well. I have shot sk rifle match, std plus, norma match, lapua center x, even aquila competition. A s it either shoots in the same hole or cuts it. Is a Vudoo, no. Is it an anschutz no. But to sit there and a d shoot groups I can cover with a half a dime. I am pretty darn happy.

Reactions: tinman52
Im going to revive an old thread, but I have been contiplating a new barrel, and I have a chance at a Shaw 18" barrel for under $200, should I jump on that or live with my roughly MOA accuracy at 50 and 2.5" groups or worse at 100?

Im going to revive an old thread, but I have been contiplating a new barrel, and I have a chance at a Shaw 18" barrel for under $200, should I jump on that or live with my roughly MOA accuracy at 50 and 2.5" groups or worse at 100?
That's always the question, will it be worth it. I don't know the answer because it's still on my mine too.

Reactions: srbecker58
That's always the question, will it be worth it. I don't know the answer because it's still on my mine too.
I did it lol. I dont have patience. I did enough research to know they improve accuracy, but how much is the question. Each rifle is different. For $185 though, I just couldnt pass it up. Brand new from Optics Planet!

I also did the foil bedding. Ill shoot this weekend with just the foil bedding and maybe playing with torque settings. At least that will give me a baseline of before and after bedding and allow me to compare once I get the new barrel.

How did I do?

20210119_193956.jpg

20210119_193953.jpg

20210119_193456.jpg

20210119_193451.jpg

I also did the foil bedding. Ill shoot this weekend with just the foil bedding and maybe playing with torque settings. At least that will give me a baseline of before and after bedding and allow me to compare once I get the new barrel.

How did I do?

View attachment 7532704
View attachment 7532705

View attachment 7532707
View attachment 7532708
In your second picture, do you see those two "tabs" on either side of the chassis opposite of where the rear action bolt hole is? Cut some thin shims of tape and put them on the outside edge of those tabs. The tabs fit into recesses that are milled into the rear of the barrel and are the closest thing your going to find to a recoil lug on the rifle.

So you mean these things and put the shims where the squiggly lines are?

View attachment 7532881
Exactly!
You'll notice that those two "tabs" fit into some slots on the back of the barreled action. Put some tape on the edges of the tabs where you have put your squiggly lines so the fit between the tabs and their corresponding slots are semi-tight. The tabs and slots are for aligning the barrel in the chassis, but I thought they sort of act as recoil lugs.

Well, a slight hiccup in my plans and my great "deal" on my Shaw barrel. I purchased an ER Shaw barrel from Optics Planet for $195 plus a coupon that brought it down to $187. Well after 3 days of "processing" they cancelled my order stating that my item is illegal to ship. What a joke! Regardless of state, since when is shipping a barrel or any other non-regulated item illegal? They ship AR Parts to me all the time, so how is a bolt action barrel any worse that the numerous AR parts and scopes they have sent to me. Regardless, I am hoping they fix it, but if not, Im back to shopping.
frown.gif

On a side note, still plan to shoot Sunday with the bedding job, so we shall see if there is any difference. I really was looking forward to that Shaw barrel after reading so many good things about it.

My new barrel from Shaw instead of Optics Planet is expected to be delivered tomorrow somehow!

1. If thats the case, do I not even waste the ammo testing the bedding job before the barrel install and just install the barrel and head to the range? What would you do? Test barrel and bedding job together or test them on separate outings?

2. For those of you that run ER Shaw barrels or any aftermarket barrel for that matter, do you run a muzzle break or no? Is there any benefit to doing so? Is there any downside? What do you recommend?

3. What do you use for a barrel break in procedure? When should I start shooting groups vs breaking in?

Any updates on the Shaw barrels? I have been on the fence about getting one, I'm just over MOA at 100 yards with the factory barrel after bedding. I wanted to see if people have been seeing improvements over their bedded factory barrels here.

My new barrel from Shaw instead of Optics Planet is expected to be delivered tomorrow somehow!

1. If thats the case, do I not even waste the ammo testing the bedding job before the barrel install and just install the barrel and head to the range? What would you do? Test barrel and bedding job together or test them on separate outings?

2. For those of you that run ER Shaw barrels or any aftermarket barrel for that matter, do you run a muzzle break or no? Is there any benefit to doing so? Is there any downside? What do you recommend?

3. What do you use for a barrel break in procedure? When should I start shooting groups vs breaking in?
@srbecker58
Did you get and install the Shaw barrel? In your opinion is it a worthwhile upgrade? I'm on the fence and watching for availability and pricing at Green Mountain and Lilja too.

I installed a Shaw match barrel on my RPRR quite some time ago now and have been very satisfied with the improved results. Recently fitted a tuner onto it to see what kind of improvement that might make. Last month after doing a little centerfire load tweaking, the day was very nice and calm; perfect for getting a tuner dialed in. Once I got it dialed in, this is what I was able to do trying to get head shots at 50 yds with a Weaver T-36 using Eley Club and shooting from a bench rest (the big hole being 20 shots I took in getting the scope and tuner dialed in):

Bug shots.jpg

I'd say the tuner help the Club ammo. :giggle:

@straightshooter1
Thanks for the feedback. Looks to me like Green Mountain might be the low end price point with Shaw at the mid point. That leaves premium makers like Lilja at the high end.

My stock barrel shoots OK for a production gun. I've gotten .4s and on occasion .3s at 50 yards with match ammo. But results have not been consistent. Some of that is certainly me! Some of it might be the rifle/barrel breaking in (just passed 500 rounds). At this point I'm waiting to get some more time/rounds on the gun while I continue to research and watch various vendors for availability.

The only advice I could give you is, leave that rifle like it is. Go out shoot it and have Fun. In the mean time save for a bergara or even a vudoo or rimx. But you’ll very happy with B14r, just needs a trigger. And if you leave the rprr like it is, someone may actually buy it from you when you’re ready. I have done the above and just regret selling the bergara…

Reactions: Gleedus
Sell the damn thing and get a Vudoo. I keep reading abput all the money being put in to making these things shoot when a much better rifle can be had . I speak from experience. I have even taken it to three gun shows and nobody was interested.

That's exactly what I did,had a rprr with a shaw barrel jyst didn't make any difference, i have built 2 kidd 1022s they are so so very tempermental, built a couple czs same thing all this in a 7-8 yr span.. switched to vudoo and all the accuracy issues went away....

When I bought my RPRR, I had no illusions for it being anywhere as good as something like a Vudoo or even being able to modify it to that level. If my financial resources could handle the purchase of a Vudoo or some other rifle at that level, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. At $365, the RPRR's price was the attraction for me. AND, I felt that with an improvement like some match barrel I could get a little improvement out of it. For $225, I was able to get the Shaw match barrel and that did make a difference. The only other initial change I did was installation a vertical grip ($60). That's $650, which is far less than the Vudoo. And of course, it just doesn't shoot as well as a Vudoo or any other high end rimfire. I felt it'd be foolish for me to think that my RPRR could be like a high end rifle at that price point. If I were going to seriously compete in rimfire tournaments, I wouldn't consider an RPRR. That fact that its nomenclature is "Precision Rifle" doesn't make it a high end competitive rifle. And I really don't think Ruger intended it to be; more like they intended it as a marketing ploy for a gun somewhere above basic, which seems to have worked quite well. But for the most part, the RPRR performs quite well for a rifle at that price point (once any ejection and feeding issues have been resolved ;) ). . . at least, mine does. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kmckinnon
I agree,thats why i did it,but i have a addiction where once I get it to a point of OK....this is all this rifle will do (accuracy wise) i move on to something else, i enjoy the building and load development part,then i sell it or put it in the safe.... Now that i have a couple vudoos,,,, which was paid from selling the RPRR and cz and one of the kidd 1022 ,now that i have it (vudoo) the accurizing part is over the dam thing just shoots anything i put in it,all sk, or lapua ammo nothing else,,, its almost not fun..... Don't do what i did and go down that rabbitt hole unless you like to tinker..... When i do a match its the vudoo when i want to play its the 1022 or the cz.....

I forgot to mention, a frund if mine runs the rprr all bone stock he put a barrel tuner on it and it came alive....

I forgot to mention, a frund if mine runs the rprr all bone stock he put a barrel tuner on it and it came alive....

Yeah, a barrel tuner definitely does help as I found when I recently mounted one on my RPRR. I managed to get good results from Eley Club that I've been using a lot of lately. Center-X has does really well without a tuner in the past, so I'm now curious how much better the tuner might help with my Center-X ammo.

PS: Unquestionably . . . I AM a tinkerer. Seems I'm always taking things apart and putting them back together to see how they work and often trying to find a way to make improvements. I guess that's why precision reloading has become such a primary hobby of mine. If I bought a Vudoo, I'd probably be tinkering with it too. :eek: ;)

I put a a.t.s. tuner in my vudoo to see how it would do at distance it was shooting 1.5-2 in groups at 240 yrds... But didnt help up close but then i put a t-rec muzzle brake on and it now shoots consistently 1in at 240 yrds. Made by k.d.e. customs he is a buddy of mine we spun one up for a rimfire wow what a difference.... Its self timing and made out of titanium but on the end its bronze,very dense and heavy its a tuner brake in one,,,NOT THAT YOU NEED A BRAKE ON A 22 also increased velocities by about 17 fps which i didnt care,never been a velocity whore....

Attachments

• IMG_20210503_133405719.jpg
    IMG_20210503_133405719.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20210505_082543361.jpg
    IMG_20210505_082543361.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_20210121_155151719.jpg
    IMG_20210121_155151719.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 372
Reactions: Jackjam
I put a a.t.s. tuner in my vudoo to see how it would do at distance it was shooting 1.5-2 in groups at 240 yrds... But didnt help up close but then i put a t-rec muzzle brake on and it now shoots consistently 1in at 240 yrds. Made by k.d.e. customs he is a buddy of mine we spun one up for a rimfire wow what a difference.... Its self timing and made out of titanium but on the end its bronze,very dense and heavy its a tuner brake in one,,,NOT THAT YOU NEED A BRAKE ON A 22 also increased velocities by about 17 fps which i didnt care,never been a velocity whore....
That's a nice rig to be proud of, for sure.

I have the Harrel Rimfire Tuner. When I got it, It's actually larger than I expected (big and heavy and so I refer to my rig as my Blunderbuss ;) , but it's nice that I can easily mount a can to it.

Harrell Rimfire Tuner.jpg

RPRR with Harrell Tuner 2021-5-15.jpg

I have a harrel on a old Winchester 52 you have a nice pc as well,,, just shoot that rig for what it is and let the rough end drag... When you get bit by the bug hole bug step up to a vudoo.

@PPS LRPS.260 @straightshooter1
Thanks both you guys for your input. I've been digging through the Hide and found lots of info you've provided in previous/other chains, especially the 30 something pager dedicated to the RPRF.

While I'd love a Vudoo (who wouldn't?) that's not happening in my near future. I'm a retiree on a budget. I was shooting my AR until doing so as often as I wanted to became unreasonably expensive. That's the whole reason I started shooting 22LR. I started with a S&W M&P 15-22. I love it. My wife loves it more! So I needed another 22LR... my RPRF. I don't compete but enjoy shooting for groups and bullseyes at the 50 and 100 yards my local range provides. The RPRF has been a ball so far and when I can, I enjoy making incremental improvements (ergo my query about barrels).

However, should my AR be sold (I'm not one to keep safe queens) I might be able to purchase a better(?) rifle ala CZ, Tikka or Bergara. Still not Vudoo but most likely an improvement over the RPRF.

So thank you two again.

Reactions: straightshooter1
I don't know what I did really but your welcome, and yes my kids and wife love my s&w 15-22 now theres one i would like to go through,rebarrel re trigger... But dont know if it would help it ttyl

Do they make aftermarket parts for the s&w 15-22 I've seen a few things but nothing of major change

Do they make aftermarket parts for the s&w 15-22 I've seen a few things but nothing of major change
I have not made any significant changes. Externally I changed the butt stock, added an mlok qd sling mount to the handguard and a reflex sight up top. Internally I upgraded the extractor and its related parts with offerings from Tandemkross. I purchased a few more magazines when they were still reasonably priced. I have a McFadden Lightnin Grip magazine loader that is a very worthwhile accessory.

Saw this old thread and thought it was time to reply. The majority of the RPRR discussions, mods, fixes, and issues are all using the antiquated .22lr. THAT's the problem with the RPRR. I have the .17HMR version and can shoot thumbtacks @ 100 yards with just about any brand of 17 grn ammo. Stock barrel, stock, trigger, and receiver. No mods except for having it Cerakoted and sanded down the barrel to remove the blueing and painted with extreem high temp paint. Added a muzzle brake. Definately helped with the 'harmonics' and accuracy. I couldn't be more pleased w/this version. I'm just glad I wasn't suckered in by the hype of the .22lr version when it was first released. Have over 1000 rnds thru it and it's a keeper.

Saw this old thread and thought it was time to reply. The majority of the RPRR discussions, mods, fixes, and issues are all using the antiquated .22lr. THAT's the problem with the RPRR. I have the .17HMR version and can shoot thumbtacks @ 100 yards with just about any brand of 17 grn ammo. Stock barrel, stock, trigger, and receiver. No mods except for having it Cerakoted and sanded down the barrel to remove the blueing and painted with extreem high temp paint. Added a muzzle brake. Definately helped with the 'harmonics' and accuracy. I couldn't be more pleased w/this version. I'm just glad I wasn't suckered in by the hype of the .22lr version when it was first released. Have over 1000 rnds thru it and it's a keeper.
.17's aren't allowed in NRL22 or PRS rimfire which are among the reasons why most discussion is about the .22 LR version. Do post up some thumbtack sized 100 yard groups, everyone does like to see stuff that works well or better than expected.

The RPRimfire was designed as a entry level NRL22 / PRS 22 production rifle all of which at 22lr.