• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ruger Precision Rimfire Bolt problem

hogkiller#1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2018
Hello, I hope I'm posting in the correct place. Today we unboxed our second RPR, first one I bought in mid 2018. The one today I just bought for my grandsons 13th birthday. So the bolt is extremely tight when opening and closing (lifting and closing the bolt). It also seemed to be dragging a bit when sliding it back. I don't remember my first one being anywhere near as tight as this one. A friend of the family came over with his RPR a little while ago and he said his was never this tight. We took the bolt out and tried it in both the other two rifles it was still tight but not as bad, it didn't seem to be dragging in the other 2 rifles. I've worked it maybe 50 times and it might be getting better??? I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? We're going to the range tomorrow morning and my grandson will run 300 or more rounds through and hopefully it will loosen up.

Hello, I hope I'm posting in the correct place. Today we unboxed our second RPR, first one I bought in mid 2018. The one today I just bought for my grandsons 13th birthday. So the bolt is extremely tight when opening and closing (lifting and closing the bolt). It also seemed to be dragging a bit when sliding it back. I don't remember my first one being anywhere near as tight as this one. A friend of the family came over with his RPR a little while ago and he said his was never this tight. We took the bolt out and tried it in both the other two rifles it was still tight but not as bad, it didn't seem to be dragging in the other 2 rifles. I've worked it maybe 50 times and it might be getting better??? I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? We're going to the range tomorrow morning and my grandson will run 300 or more rounds through and hopefully it will loosen up.
Mine had to clearance plastic from the chassis for about 100 cycles. Till then little black shavings came off the chassis and you could feel the bolt drag, especially in long throw mode.

i Had a very similar problem with our 2nd rifle. I ended up after about 200 rounds and all kinds of issues just cleaning the hell out of the bolt then took 600 grit sandpaper and ran down that plastic back bone piece. I have done it now on both of the ones we have and it worked great. Also i found that for whatever reason both of mine run better with the tab off and in "long Stroke" mode .