• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire QC-old versus new

copterdrvr

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2012
Lafayette, Looziana
I picked up a new RPR this last December and wanting to learn all the idiosyncrasies of my new toy, I read all 30 pages of the RPR thread-it really is a treasure trove of info for a new owner.

I disassembled the rifle and during the cleanup process it became apparent that there has been a significant improvement in the product quality. As an example, I compared the pictures in the big thread that detailed the bolt and bolt face of a RPR bolt and the finish of mine is FAR superior to the one pictured. I have not taped my action because the bedding block fits snugly and I have no intention of touching it or trying to remove it from the stock. I polished and radiused the forward edge of the bottom of the bolt that could drag on the bullet in the mag and ran some Bore Brite through the barrel and that's about it for mods. I did find a loose scope rail screw and strangely enough, the rear action screw was loose but I was taking the rifle apart anyway so...

I did replace the trigger with a Timney trigger and to be honest, after only backing out the spring on the factory trigger far enough to remove all spring tension for trigger pull, I'm not sure if the improved trigger pull of the Timney is worth 238 bucks-the factory trigger was by far, the best "factory adjustable trigger" I've come across in 55 years of shooting ..... I've only dry fired the Timney so far so I don't have any real trigger time with it yet.

I have two Kidd barrels and two Feddersen barrels on highly modified 10/22's and the rifles are great shooters. I have a borescope that gives hi res picture quality images of bores and I have to say that the Ruger barrel looked a good bit better than the Feddersen barrels and almost as good as the Kidd barrels. In fact, the Kidd barrels look a little better in the leade and the muzzle crown and that's it. I listed some groups in the big thread and the rifle shoots inside a half MOA at 50 yards with multiple brands of ammo.

ANYWAY, I am curious if any of the "newer" owners of the RPR had the same luck as I am having with my rifle and if most of the issues that are addressed in the big thread are associated with the earlier production rifles AND when did they finally get their S together????

IMG_2729.JPGIMG_2732.JPG

I guess the proof is in the shot groups...
I shot mine for the first time about a week ago. I was really surprised at the accuracy out of the box. Put about 200 rounds through it and am impressed. My son had some issues with his, had to bed the barrel and extraction problems. Turned out one 10 round mag he had was a problem. I didn't have any issues at all. The bolt needs to be worked in and the trigger lightened up, but otherwise im a happy camper. NRL22 coming up!

Queue Neskibay in 3, 2, 1...

I picked up a RPRR at a gun shop a couple of years ago and was unimpressed with the bolt. It was more of a fight than I wanted to both open and close the rifle. I bought a Kidd SuperGrade instead. If your experience is indicative of the current production RPRR's that's great news.

I've shot it around 300 times since then and the bolt cycles as it should-smooth but tight. If the bolt is "easy" to cycle, it's not going to have a tight lockup on this particular rifle...

The headspacing is accomplished by the back of the bolt handle impacting the back of the channel cut in the receiver and if it's loose, the headspace will be sloppy.

I picked up a new RPR this last December and wanting to learn all the idiosyncrasies of my new toy, I read all 30 pages of the RPR thread-it really is a treasure trove of info for a new owner.

I disassembled the rifle and during the cleanup process it became apparent that there has been a significant improvement in the product quality. As an example, I compared the pictures in the big thread that detailed the bolt and bolt face of a RPR bolt and the finish of mine is FAR superior to the one pictured. I have not taped my action because the bedding block fits snugly and I have no intention of touching it or trying to remove it from the stock. I polished and radiused the forward edge of the bottom of the bolt that could drag on the bullet in the mag and ran some Bore Brite through the barrel and that's about it for mods. I did find a loose scope rail screw and strangely enough, the rear action screw was loose but I was taking the rifle apart anyway so...

I did replace the trigger with a Timney trigger and to be honest, after only backing out the spring on the factory trigger far enough to remove all spring tension for trigger pull, I'm not sure if the improved trigger pull of the Timney is worth 238 bucks-the factory trigger was by far, the best "factory adjustable trigger" I've come across in 55 years of shooting ..... I've only dry fired the Timney so far so I don't have any real trigger time with it yet.

I have two Kidd barrels and two Feddersen barrels on highly modified 10/22's and the rifles are great shooters. I have a borescope that gives hi res picture quality images of bores and I have to say that the Ruger barrel looked a good bit better than the Feddersen barrels and almost as good as the Kidd barrels. In fact, the Kidd barrels look a little better in the leade and the muzzle crown and that's it. I listed some groups in the big thread and the rifle shoots inside a half MOA at 50 yards with multiple brands of ammo.

ANYWAY, I am curious if any of the "newer" owners of the RPR had the same luck as I am having with my rifle and if most of the issues that are addressed in the big thread are associated with the earlier production rifles AND when did they finally get their S together????

View attachment 7229808View attachment 7229812
Hi. Just got back into shooting after 30 years. Was torn between this and a CZ 457. Being on a little budget went with Ruger. I found nothing but positive reviews until I hit the pay button online with no refunds. Than out of nowhere all the negative reviews popped up and my heart hit the floor. I was basically stuck couldn’t return it so hoped for the best. Well after realizing i should’ve also got a better scope ( went with Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4/16/40 ) I went out yesterday. I purchased numerous kinds of ammo while I was waiting for rifle and than the 3 day wait. I started off with just cheap Norma Tac 22 just to get the feel coming back. I than switched to some SK match and some SK flat nose some Eley precision some RWS match and let me say. Maybe I got lucky even with Norma once I got scope sighted in I was impressed Than the premium ammo just seemed a little more consistent. I was at 50 yards bench bipod and rear sandbag and some no rear bag just my shoulder. This picture was with premium stuff, I was having such a blast can’t remember which one. But anyway been 30 years and this was third target in after about 90 min of shooting I am quite happy so far and again maybe Ruger improved or I just got a good one. Oh btw all the talk about bedding,whatever that is I guess something with magazine, I used a 10 round 10/22 one and it was very tight inside. I did try the bx-15 that came with rifle and it did have a lot of play but accuracy was about the same.
BEA56A75-0865-4F11-97B7-B24E9BCE826D.jpeg