• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ruger Precision Rimfire

How has your Ruger Precision performed?

• Awful- better off using this gun as a canoe paddle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JaoeyP

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
I'm curious from those who have owned the Ruger Precision Rimfire what your results with the rifle have been. Please only respond if you have been an actual owner (do not respond because you shot your buddy's gun).

Reactions: BlastersAreCool
Mine has been great. I can shoot consistent groups of 5 between .2 and .5 moa at 50 yards. Once you figure out which ammo the gun likes to shoot, the flyers go away and the groups close in. The only issue we've had is the magazine wiggle front to back that can on occasion cause misalignment and stop the bullet from chambering properly. We resolved that by using 10 round mags and tossing the 15 round mag in the bag for backup. The bolt isn't buttery smooth when cycled either but it's acceptable. In the end I just have to remember that we're talking about a $400 gun. I get out of it what I would expect from a gun at this price point. Sure, Annie's or Voodo's will have better build quality, tighter tolerances and consistently tighter groups out of the box but they're also 4 to 5 times more expensive. For what it cost me, I'm pleased with what the gun gives me.

For what it's worth, I tighten my action screws to 30in lbs. That seems to be the sweet spot for mine. I shoot SK Pistol Match out to 200 yards without issue. It's a great bullet for the price per round. Considerably less than Eley Tenex or RWS R-50 but just as accurate for me.

Reactions: Stan628
Got mine strictly for prs style shooting and even though it would punch little holes, it was way too hold sensitive for what I wanted.

I was ringing a 10" plate at 400 yards with mine no problem using Federal UM22. Can't beat this rifle for the price.

My factory barrel was quite accurate but had occasional fliers. 50 yard groups were regularly .5-.75” for 10 shot groups, 100 yards it would throw a good 1-1.25” group, 5 shot, and then 2-3”. No real rhyme or reason.

I picked up the green mountain 16” barrel hoping it might be a bit more consistent. I’ve only got about 300 rounds thru the GM barrel but so far it is more consistent. 50 yards is still .5-.75 and 100 yard groups averaging 1.5” but consistently, no more odd large groups. 200 yards is still running 2+ MOA. Clay pigeons or 4” gong are no problem at 200 and a 9x12 plate at 300 no problem.

I put a vertical grip on mine and find it more consistent. While it’s no vudoo it is very good considering the price tag. I’m really liking forward to the timney trigger upgrade.

Attachments

• EE7F513C-B7A5-4390-9568-65F67794D1D0.jpeg
    EE7F513C-B7A5-4390-9568-65F67794D1D0.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 42
  • 0E1DFCD9-91F7-49A8-BB98-DD4404D7A7B0.jpeg
    0E1DFCD9-91F7-49A8-BB98-DD4404D7A7B0.jpeg
    377.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 0F5F09F0-9C5E-4C45-983D-39CE27D79893.jpeg
    0F5F09F0-9C5E-4C45-983D-39CE27D79893.jpeg
    437.3 KB · Views: 39
  • D8417B6F-CCC5-48D3-8795-C60BCA3C4087.jpeg
    D8417B6F-CCC5-48D3-8795-C60BCA3C4087.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 39
I put a vertical grip on mine and find it more consistent. While it’s no vudoo it is very good considering the price tag. I’m really liking forward to the timney trigger upgrade.

FYI: Have been beta testing the Timney trigger on my RPRR having gone through 850 rounds to date. It performs like what one has come to expects from Timney. Before I dropped this trigger in I had set my factory trigger where it breaks at 12 oz and have really liked it, especially at this light setting. When I got the Timney trigger I found it was pre set at 1lb 6 oz, so I varied the pulls ( ranging from 9 oz to 2 lbs) with some dry firing to see how it all felt. Because I like the light settings most, I did my firing at 9 oz and it has a must better feel than the factory trigger in that it is really smoother with a more predicable break and is very consistent. Giving the nature of the RPRR for doing best in being held very lightly or with free recoil, this trigger allows a pull that minimizes trigger pull input, which I find helps me a lot with proper pull and therefore better accuracy. As good as I feel the factory trigger is, the Timney is a very nice improvement. You'll love it!

Mine shoots pretty good but I am having extraction problems. 2 or three pieces of brass from every magazine of 15 will end up loose in the chamber.

I'm having trouble with flyers. 2-4 shots will be nearly touching at 50 yds and then 1-2 will be off by quite a bit. Sometimes more than an inch or two. It's pretty frustrating because I know it has a ton of potential. I'll have to try some more ammo and see if it likes anything that I haven't used.

I had the same issue with fliers. Seemed like one group would be 1/2” and the next throw two fliers out to 1.25-1.5”

I ended up getting a Green mountain barrel. Seems more consistent but the factory barrel would throw tighter groups from time to time.

Also interested in how the rugers have been doing. Anyone achieving 1moa or better at 100y consistently?

My first one has had no issues reguardless of magazine or ammo. But, it won’t shoot better than 1” at 50 no matter the ammo used. My second one I just got will not extract any ammo. So waiting on a barrel for the first one. Waiting on calming down to work on the second one. Don’t regret either. Ordering one in 17 HMR next week!

Is Timney publicly saying (before SHOT) when the RPRR trigger will be available for sale?
Is there a date beta-testing and reviews must be completed by?

Last edited:
Though I'm beta testing one of their triggers, I don't get any communication other than a request to fill out their review. So. . . have not hear a peep (anywhere) as to a target date for release. Maybe on my next trip to the range, I'll stop by their facility and see if I can find out anything.

Reactions: Subwrx300
I'm having trouble with flyers. 2-4 shots will be nearly touching at 50 yds and then 1-2 will be off by quite a bit. Sometimes more than an inch or two. It's pretty frustrating because I know it has a ton of potential. I'll have to try some more ammo and see if it likes anything that I haven't used.
Have you checked to make sure the action is resting in the stock as it should? Lots of guys with flyer issues have been able to fix them by using aluminum tape or bedding compound to bed the rear tang of the action to the stock. Not something I feel like you should have to do with a brand new gun in a stock shipped from the factory, but if that's what's causing the issue it's a pretty easy fix.

Have you checked to make sure the action is resting in the stock as it should? Lots of guys with flyer issues have been able to fix them by using aluminum tape or bedding compound to bed the rear tang of the action to the stock. Not something I feel like you should have to do with a brand new gun in a stock shipped from the factory, but if that's what's causing the issue it's a pretty easy fix.

I've seen some people doing that and have thought of doing that myself. I'm not sure what to look for when making sure the action is resting in the stock like it should be. Am I just looking for a gap where they both meet up?

I aluminum bedded my action as well BUT it was switching to a normal BX-10 with the spring loosened up that eliminated the flyers. They fit the chassis much tighter.

I aluminum bedded my action as well BUT it was switching to a normal BX-10 with the spring loosened up that eliminated the flyers. They fit the chassis much tighter.
How did you loosen up the spring? Just ordered three bx-10 mags and would like to get everything out of them I can.

Bx10’s work much better by far. Fit much better. Get rid of the 15rounders. Using the bx10’s with the alum tape block bedding helped me a lot and I enjoy my rpr so far... still wish the rifle had a stronger ejection tho