• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Ruger Precision Scope Base Holes Misaligned?

sam1700

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2008
Alice, TX
guys,

I just picked up a Ruger Precision Rifle from someone here on the Hide. Ordered some new rings for it and finally got out to zero it yesterday. It was shooting way off to the right. I maxed out my windage and it was still about 15-18 inches to the right. I am using some Burris XTR signature rings for some extra elevation (I used the inserts to add 15 MOA of elevation on top of the 20 MOA Ruger base). I rotated those inserts in the rings to add 15 MOA of windage and that got me pretty close to zeroed.

I have used this scope for the last several years on my Remington 788 and this was never an issue. The scope is an old Wonders Tactical 4-14. I bought it when they first came out. I think its a gen 1. I don't know if any of you remember these scopes. They were cheap and I think went bankrupt not long after they were first introduced. I lucked out with a decent WOTAC scope that tracks consistently, although its not true MOA.

All that to say, I don't think its the scope. I think something is misaligned. My question is, how can I check/measure the scope base other than just eyeballing it?

I appreciate any and all responses.

Did you happen to try it without the ring inserts? If those were misaligned or mismarked it could throw you way off. I'd start there. You don't even have to shoot the rifle, bore sighting should tell you if that's the answer.

Did you happen to try it without the ring inserts? If those were misaligned or mismarked it could throw you way off. I'd start there. You don't even have to shoot the rifle, bore sighting should tell you if that's the answer.
I guess inserts probably mean the rings are oversized for the scope tube. In this case you could swap rings or scopes if you have something available for comparison. Never used ring inserts so thinking aloud here.

Apnea,
You’re right, the rings have to be used with the inserts. It comes with several different inserts including a zero MOA insert. I was using the inserts to get 15 MOA of extra elevation and that was nearly spot on. When I adjusted those inserts to get 15 MOA OF extra windage it nearly corrected the windage issue. But keep in mind my windage turret was also maxes out.

I was thinking about putting in the zero MOA inserts and bore sighting it to see if it was still off. In theory, I should be able to rotate the zero MOA inserts and not see any change in POI.

Apnea,
You’re right, the rings have to be used with the inserts. It comes with several different inserts including a zero MOA insert. I was using the inserts to get 15 MOA of extra elevation and that was nearly spot on. When I adjusted those inserts to get 15 MOA OF extra windage it nearly corrected the windage issue. But keep in mind my windage turret was also maxes out.

I was thinking about putting in the zero MOA inserts and bore sighting it to see if it was still off. In theory, I should be able to rotate the zero MOA inserts and not see any change in POI.
Yeah, that's what I would do first, easiest variable to check. You could have a rifle action with messed up holes, but before you send it to Ruger, you're still going to check all the other variables first.

Did the seller claim the rifle shot well or was it a "haven't really shot it" situation?

Apnea,

Seller claimed he only fired 10 rounds through it when zeroing the rifle.

If it comes to needing to send it back to Ruger do you think they will give me a hard time since I bought it used from someone?

Seems like the haven't really shot it situation. Anyways , due your best to eliminate all variables in your control. Sucks but buying used sometimes is buying someone else's problem. The risk we take. Been there done that. Hopefully Ruger would stand behind there product if it's a craftsmanship defect. Interested in the outcome , best of luck.

so tonight I put the zero MOA inserts in the rear ring and checked it. Eyeballing it I could tell the scope was slightly out of alignment. So, I removed the scope and rings and checked the base. The rear screw was not tight. I removed the screws and the base. I put the placed the base back on without the screws and could tell that the rear of the base had been slightly skewed towards the bolt handle before. I put the screws back in and made sure to hold it firmly in place with my hand while i torqued the screws. I had to guess on the torque specs. I torqued them to 30 in/lbs. If that seems insufficient or too much somebody let me know. It felt good to me. I remounted the scope still with the zero inserts and bore sighted it. I was able to get the bore and reticle aligned with about 8-9 MOA of windage left over which is a whole lot more than before. It appears that maybe the holes in the action for the base might be slightly out of line.

I replaced the zero MOA inserts with the 20 MOA inserts for the extra windage. Looks like I might be back in business. With Easter weekend and family in town I will have to wait until monday to retry zeroing at 100.

If all goes well I will run it like its set up currently. Thanks Blackedout and Apnea for your input.