• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger RPR Hangin With AI ????

I have had two RPR's and they both shot lights out I still have one. The bolt lugs gouged on the first one and had to go back, the bolt is soft.
The second one the stock would not lock open without some user intervention.
While it is a good shooter the quality is just not there. Its Corvette vs Ferrari.

Ruger RPR Hangin AI ???? If that is what have to tell your self to be happy with what you can afford then by all means go ahead.

The way I see it, as far as what Jake wants by reading his post, is having a rifle that he can do his own work on and doesn't cost a bunch. That and so he can use the extra money on better glass. It's obvious he likes projects and needs something to turn wrenches on. The RPR is already in hand so the money is gone.

That's fine, to each his own. I don't think there is a disagreement about the quality of AI vs the RPR. There might be a question of which might work more reliably longer, that's to be expected if comparing the two.

I remember the old RPR thread that there were plenty that didn't shoot to the standards of most custom rifles, along with other problems. Fixes came and a next generation RPR, still it's a mass produced rifle. If bought new and it doesn't shoot well just send it back or buy a nice prefit. Replace the rear stock with a PRS, etc, etc, but once you start down this road it's getting up into the custom rifle realm of costs.

Then we're back to the custom vs AI discussion in so many threads.

Reactions: bigjake83
If I’m not mistaken doesn’t the rpr use the American action? (Please correct me if I’m wrong) I have personally seen 3 American actions fail. Not catastrophic by any means just fail to do what it was supposed to.

Guys.......

View attachment 6880665

Who gives a crap what gun you shoot. You have a $13k setup that you like to pull out and stroke? So you can peacock around the line? Good for you..... you have an AI and don’t tell anyone and just shoot it? Good for you. Your RPR shoots really fuggin good? And it pisses off the AI Guy? Good for you.....

I would rather have the $12k in my 401k than stroke it at the range. I love AI, yes I could buy one, but I shoot the RPR because that’s what I want. So your AI runs better in the sand and dust? Good for you. You want a cookie?

Buy all the guns

Shoot all the guns

Us guys that shoot anything laugh and rolleyes at the dick waving fan boys. But please carry on, it makes for good entertainment.

Ruger RPR Hangin AI ???? If that is what have to tell your self to be happy with what you can afford then by all means go ahead.

This is what happens when you reply to a thread based on the title without reading the post ;)

If I’m not mistaken doesn’t the rpr use the American action? (Please correct me if I’m wrong) I have personally seen 3 American actions fail. Not catastrophic by any means just fail to do what it was supposed to.

Just curious fail how?

Business or pleasure? That's what it comes down to in my opinion. I got my RPR as my first fancy long range rifle. Amazingly accurate, but no joy, no magic. Got an AI/AT, and the clouds parted. Of course also exceptionally accurate, but pure pleasure to shoot. Don't think it's measurable in a purely objective fashion, but definitely a real thing. I have shot a lot of rifles for a long time and the nearest thing I can compare it to is the happy feeling I get firing an original Winchester 71 compared to firing replica Browning 71. The latter is in most cases more accurate than the original, but shooting the original 71 actually makes me smile.
This old coot's opinion, take it for what it's worth.:geek:

Well Jake, I've read through the whole thread ; . . . quite amusing to me. :)

Just to clear up some things first, yes I will be reloading but for now I'll just stock up on fire formed brass and conduct barrel break in.

(1) what store bought ammo is shooting the best overall with the new GEN 2 6.5 Creedmoor ???

Though I shoot a .308 RPR (that shoots REALLY well), I've talked to a few at the ranges who have the 6.5's and I've seen and hear a lot of good things about the 140 ELD's (whether factor or hand loaded).

(2) have most the kinks been worked out now that Rugers not rushing these rifles..( crooked barrels/ Muzzle Brakes, shitty barrel work)

Yeah, I think they have for the most part with the Gen2's. I only wish they just did a little to improve the fit and finish on the bolt. Always gotta remember we're dealing with factory production and there a plenty that come of the line in not so good of shape as intended. But Ruger has been pretty good about taking care of business (especially with their RPR).

(3) with the OEM Barrel would a few treatments of JB Bore past be a good idea??

I would say a definite yes, particularly if you do it right. I fire lapped my RPR factory barrel with Tubb's Final Finish kit and it did made a substantial improvement (about 30%) and well worth the price.

(4) what's the verdict on the new 147ELDs??

I've heard a lot more about the 140's than the 147's, so I've really can't make a decent comment here.

(5) with all my Precision rifles I use the Redding Competition Neck Sizing Die kit, I'm assuming thats what everyone else is using??

Those are good dies, of course . . . but I have and like the Forster dies much better (especially in a Forster press). I love the consistent concentricity I can get.

I'm putting an order in soon for the 130 Hybrids and 140s but I really want to see what the new 147 can do past 1000.

Once I start reloading I'll be using Lapua Small primer brass with CCI BR4 Primers and H4350.

I'm going to give the OEM Barrel and stock a chance before replacing. But I did already call up Timney and ordered a RPR to my specs. 1st Stage 8oz - 2nd stage 13oz

Let us know how you're experience and opinion and which loads are working best for you.

Good luck and happy shooting!