• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger rpr

762recon

pOg!!!
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2017
Hey guys have a buddy had the barrel cut to 18 an fluted on his ruger RPR 308. Rifle groups under a inch. He has been working up some loads and they are all grouping good in the inch or under but as he shoot 5 string shots letting the barrel cool a little the groups are moving to the left. The last 3 of 10 strings are 6 to 8 inches left they are grouping but way left any idea. Thanks

Josh

I would guess some type of stress was induced into the barrel in the cutting or fluting process and as it heats during firing it warps. Hopefully that’s not it.

This. I remember Frank’s podcast with Frank Green of Bartlein where he said he would only flute cut rifled barrels for this reason as they did not have the internal stresses of barrels rifled by other processes.

Thanks again guys, He called the smith that did the work he told him to bring it in.Hopefully get some answers. I told him get a proof carbon an put it one if he can find one hahhah should be in the for sale section but if anyone has has a 308 1/10 18in threaded 5/8-24 proof carbon pre cut for a ruger RPR let me know. Have a good one guys