• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Ruger RSM 416 rigby versus CZ550 magnum

Nitrosteel

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2018
GA
Talking about a dangerous game rifle for buffalo and hippo.

Anyone have an opinion on these rifles? It appears that I could get a ruger with all of the “needed” features for less than $2k. To upgrade the factory cz (by American hunting rifles) would bring the total cost up to about $3.5k.

Is there something lacking with the (no longer made) Ruger that makes it less functional/reliable than the upgraded CZ?

Check out the ruger guide gun it looks like a nice compact rifle but I think you’d be stuck with the ruger calibers... I’ve been reading up on them lately and they seem pretty good but u always have to worry about ammo availability

Hi
I had the ruger safari rifle in .458lott, hell of a gun, had my smith thread it for a brake, made a massive difference to accuracy, 500gn barnes @2400fps would give 3 shot goups of one hole at 100 yards, thats all it needed , no bedding or trigger work , ruger made an excellent rifle

Thank you for the input. Went on my second plains game hunt in Africa last month and am really wanting to go back for hippo and buffalo next. I love the looks of the ruger.

I’ve come to really like the Ruger Alaska Guide gun (mine is in .375). My only real complaint is the factory trigger, which is heavy and a bit gritty. The ergonomics of it, though, are nice. It’s quick and comfortable to shoulder and get on target. By comparison, I find the CZ to be heavier and as you point out, it requires a lot of work and $$ to upgrade.

I don't know about the more modern Rugers but the early ones had weak extractors. Jumped the rim at times on dirty or corroded ammo. Like all plunger ejectors ( if they still have that) they can rust into place when hunting in jungle (hot, humid environment) ,when the action gets wet on a river crossing or you get an over pressure load. They can also get wet and freeze to place. I have had all this happen. It is fairly unlikely to happen on a short hunt.

I started shooting a Ruger rifle in 1967 and wore out several barrels on a couple of them. My thought today is that a Ruger is made to a price point to appear to have the features of a rough and tumble rifle. It is not a rough and tumble rifle.

I am also critical of a Win Pre '64 model 70 as it can jump the extractor over the case rim. Had that happen as well. Once the extractor collar stretches it needs to be replaced. It also handles escaping gas very poorly. Basically blows it back in your face. Had that happen. (Great action otherwise, I like them.)

There is a reason the '98 Mauser has stood the test of time for a rough use dangerous game rifle. Even if it has never won a war. :)

Thank you for the input on this. I am still in the info gathering stage. Looks like Botswana opened up their elephant hunting this week (not that I’m going)...

Talking about a dangerous game rifle for buffalo and hippo.

Anyone have an opinion on these rifles? It appears that I could get a ruger with all of the “needed” features for less than $2k. To upgrade the factory cz (by American hunting rifles) would bring the total cost up to about $3.5k.

Is there something lacking with the (no longer made) Ruger that makes it less functional/reliable than the upgraded CZ?
I have owned both of the rifles that you are looking at, I've had 5 of the ruger's in .375 and .416 and 3 of the CZ's in .375 and .416.
The ruger definitely looks sweet, with the quarter rib and Circassian walnut stock, but If I wanted a solid and reliable rifle for dangerous game, I'd go with the CZ 550 Safari. It is very hard to beat and can be had for around $1,200. If money's not a big concern, I've had a few Dakota 76"s in .375 and .416 and they are incredible.