• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Ruger Super Redhawk 44 magnum

scout67

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2008
Bonham, TX
Looking for helpful information about some of the following:
1. Best distance to sight in scope
2. Favorite loads for hunting
3. Favorite loads for target shooting
I just got this gun and I am new to large handguns.
It has a 9 1/2" barrel and Leupold 4X scope.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Ruger Super Redhawk 44 magnum

50yds, georgia arms 240gr "deerstoppers". That's what I ran in mine and its fun but manageable.

With a 4x I found that 3" high at 100 yards put me on out to 180 yards. I prefer cast bullets but to each his own. For white tail the 260 grain LBT WFN works with full penetration from any angle. For the really big stuff...elk and moose, the 300 grain WFN does the trick. Just remember that penetration rather than expansion is the idea with hunting handguns. JD Jones killed most everything with pistols. His one piece of advice that I remember most, is to place your shot so that the bullet enters or exits the chest between the front legs. That gives the most chance of cutting the heart or great vessels. I found that 296 or H110 were the best powders. Use a magnum primer because in the pistol those are fairly slow powders.

I hadn't even considered beyond 100 yds. I was thinking between 50 and 100. This will be mainly for a backup while hunting with rifle or crossbow. Thanks for the info, I will check into locating some bullets. Other info would be welcome.

There are a lot of options with a 44, since you can load the equivalent of 44 special loads, too. I suggest you shoot it a bit to see what you are comfortable with and can shoot well. A deer isn't very hard to kill provided you can hit it where you want to. I'm shooting some bulk 210-grain SJHP's over 25.5 grains of H110 with magnum primers now, and it is working well, although I haven't shot groups yet. As you get into hotter loads you may find that it becomes difficult to avoid anticipating the recoil and you may start to pull shots. Good luck and have fun!

Look into Garrett Cartridges. They specialize in .44 mag and 45-70 rounds only. Your Super Redhawk is one of the few revolvers that will handle the extra length to their cartridges. They make some spectacular rounds...not cheap, but very good. I shoot the 330 gr hardcast...its a beast.

Thanks everyone, I plan to check into all of this and do a variety of loads. And see what works best for me. So far, I have been shooting some factory 44 mag rounds. I have been very surprised with how little recoil there is. Looking forward to loading some other loads and see how they do. Does anyone else have this same pistol. Some first hand experience with the same gun would be wonderful. Thank you all again.

I've got the same pistol, but in a much shorter barrel, maybe 4" or so. I carry it when hog hunting up in East Texas to stop anything bad in the woods...meth heads included, if needed. Since I only use it on the biggest hogs, I only carry the Garrett 330 gr. hardcast loads, but for practice, I use the cheapest factory loads in .44 Special....much more pleasant to shoot. Love the trigger. Obviously, if you are going to be hunting thin skinned game, you don't need the Garrett loads, but if your going after hogs, I highly recommend them. Never had one walk away from one of the 330 gr hardcast. Have seen them get knocked down and get right back up and run off after being hit with factory hollow/soft points. They are expensive, but worth it. I won't use anything less than a .44 mag on hogs anymore. Too many horror stories with other calibers..including .357 mag. when up close and personal with a mad hog.

1. I sight mine in at 100 yards. I figure any big game animal between the muzzle and 125 is meat with that sight-in.
2. I like a 320 grain hard cast bullet with a large meplat (flat on the nose) for both hunting and hiking in bear country. I load them on top of a max charge of Lil'Gun or Winchester 296 and light them with magnum primers. For jacketed slugs, the 240 grain Hornady XTP (for deer-size game), 270 grain Speer DeepCurl, or the 300 grain Hornady XTP (the latter two for hogs) have given me yeoman service.
3. For target shooting, try a 240 grain cast semi-wadcutters over 5.5 of Titegroup...about 900 fps and they land on top of each other at 25 yards (from a bench, of course).

My Super Redhawk wears a 2-7 X 32mm scope and prints into about 2" at 100 yards with Hornady XTPs.

I would take a look at Double Tap ammo. I run their 320 grain hardcast bullets for woods protection in a sw m629 mountain gun and it shoots well.

Also, they're reasonably priced.

Thanks everyone. I had been thinking about 240 gr. But we do have some hogs and bears have been seen getting closer and closer. Last ones that I heard about were about 60 to 70 miles east of where I hunt. So perhaps I should think about some 300+ gr. I will check into bullets and loads for those as well.

My SRH is sighted dead on at 100 yards using 240gr XTP's and H-110 with CCI LP mag primers.

1016091544a.jpg

1016091544c.jpg

The orange circle is 3" in diameter.
240HP-XTP44mag-1.jpg

Thanks Steve, sounds good. How many ft/sec are you shooting? If it is sighted in at 100yds, how high is it shooting at 25, 50, and 75 yds? I appreciate the info. Good looking set up. I have a front rest just like yours. I hope to be doing as well soon.

I currently do not have a chrono, so I am relying upon Hodgdon's Reloading Data Center Data.

My normal hunting load is Hornady 240gr HP-XTP's over 24.0gr of H-110 sighted dead on at 100 yards. According to Hodgdon's website 24.0gr of H110 shows a mv of 1522fps.

Using PointBlank's Ballistic Program with all the data entered I would be +.53" at 25yds, +1.53" at 50, +1.37 at 75 and dead on at 100yds.

I took this doe 2 years ago(?) at 75yds.

100_6962.jpg

Thanks again Steve. Sounds like this load is working good for you. I was thinking about sighting mine at 75 yds but I may just follow your lead and go out to 100 yds. Thanks for all the information.

My SRH likes the lighter bullets pushed fast. or 240 leads at 44 special speeds.
180 xtp's over h110 28.5 grains CCI mag primers, 1680 fps and 3.5 inch groups at a hundred.

It's best accuracy has been with a Oregon Trails 240 swc at 735 fps. 2 3/8" @

Watch your ring mounts, I shoot a lot and my top strap started to pull up on the
front ring, right side. I mounted a weaver rail with larger washers and drilled and
tapped. The stainless is very soft stuff. The other thing that helped a lot on the trigger was to shim the hammer on both sides as it keeps the sear surface straight.

Never had a problem with the scope mounts. They are factory Ruger and have been on the gun since I bought it, many moons ago.

I cannot begin to tell you how many rounds of 240-300gr bullets I have put down range, but its a lot! I've tried the 180-200gr bullets, but I've had better accuracy with the 240-300gr bullets.

Yea , mine were fine for about 3000 rounds, then I lost zero all at once and that
was the problem. The weight of the scope and how violent the rounds are I am
sure comes into play.

Thanks Bigwheeler, I will check my scope mounts. I don't shoot a pistol that much. I am fairly certain that I will never shoot 3000 rounds thru this gun, but I wish that I had that much spare time. Too many irons in the fire I suppose.