• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Ruger's coming out with a 22/45 with rails and a

Re: Ruger's coming out with a 22/45 with rails and a

If the bottom rail is removable or they make one without it I will be happy.

So, time for a little Ruger 101. Whereas I think it is great that Ruger might be now taking 5 years to finally listen to its customers rather than the normal "never," there are some good points and some concerning points about what I read here. First, the good news, Ruger is planing on still making 22/45 pistols.

Now for the bad news...

That is not a factory run, at least not yet.

The chamber work starting with the new generation Marks is too sloppy. How "too sloppy?" The kind of too sloppy that only a high volume firing person that never cleaned their pistol would love. And there is more...That same sloppiness makes suppression a problem because of back pop. Back pop is already a problem in quality suppression of their current Mark pistols and making the barrels even shorter is just going to make it worse. And there is more. Threading the barrel without even an attempt to make the thread protector look "blind" is going to lead to holster wear and a lot of tossed parts and even more aftermarket spuds. And there is more, Here we see a typical rail "add on" to the top, no integrated rail. What that means is that anybody can already provide themselves with that rail position. And there is more, the lower rail is not integrate either, right...anybody can provide themselves with that already as well. What would it take to make a run of lower receiver with integrated rail? Wanting to stop the endless makers of aftermarket products that do this all so much better. And there is more...if this rig retains their loaded chamber receiver cuts and goofy spring loaded "flag", well two steps backwards remains. And there is more...if this model can't drop its own mag because of the chamber indicator like all the current runs, well another two steps backwards. And there is more...if the chamber indicator and the no-drop mags still mean that a lifetime of clips no longer work in the new models...well keep your eye out for NIB old models and get them threaded and rail mounted.

And I like the Ruger 22/45 a lot.

RT51, is there anything about suppression that you do not know? Thanks, I always enjoy reading your posts.

Much...too much, but I, like you, try to keep after it. I like Ruger's .22s and this one pisses me off. How the execs can look at the remarkable work, the beautiful work being done by others on their own platform and consider THIS their response. Well, I add it to the list...I just do not know...

Ruger should be forced to sit through a Marketing lecture by Pac Lite execs and be given a formal written exam at the conclussion.

Hey RT51, here's my situation. I have a couple of 22 cans and a P22 for a host. I want a better pistol. If your were starting from this point what would you buy? What's the best host that is easily found? Buy a cheap Ruger and put a Tac Sol upper on it? Obviously I need guidance because I thought this 22/45 looked like a good way to go. I appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

You have a .22 and a can. The P22 has been disappointing and you want a better pistol for your can.

A few questions first.

Barrel length:

1. Do you want the pistol barrel length to be short so that every .22 round you send down it will be subsonic and therefor with a good can, your pistol is now as quiet as possible?

2. Do you want the pistol barrel length to be standard length so that when you want to shoot HV rounds they can go super sonic, recognizing that your pistol will only be very quiet by shooting subsonics?

as is the norm......Ruger = behind the curve. I enjoy my Ruger 22 pistols but all that is left of them are some internals and a grip frame. They missed the boat on this platform years ago...and the 10/22. Imagine the money they could have made offering the right set ups from the factory or at least the aftermarket accessories. Guess what they want you to do if you call them to buy a barrel for a 10/22 ?.....send your gun to them because only a competant Ruger factory gunsmith can put on the barrel and tighten 2 screws....homey please!! Pretty representative of Ruger in general....and I own several SA pistols, Mark II/III's, a 77/22, a 10/22 and a 77/17 so I am not a Ruger basher.

The P22 has been okay but it's not very accurate. Barrel length doesn't matter because I shoot subs mainly. As long as it will cycle the subs reliably. The Walther has done that very well with CCI subs, I'll give it that. It's just a poor example of a firearm, IMO. Cheap feeling. Hell, I just want another gun. How's that?
grin.gif

So, here we go...buckle up.

Please do not mention any suppressor brand names, it is not about product....yet.

That Walther P22, that remarkable little pistol with its 3.4" barrel? That pistol cannot take a standard velocity .22 to supersonic. Perhaps, perhaps, with the right HV, it might be able to go supersonic. But not likely with what you are using. Add to that that the Walther p22 chamber is also sloppy, making that pistol too loud with pop and you have a real issue.

When you shoot subs in your Walther P22 you are:

1. Using subs to only reduce the gas your blast can is dealing with and dealing with potentially poorly. There is no SS crack in your pistol!

2. Reducing the rear pop because the pressure has dropped...a lot.

Now that is a lot to chew on. I'm basically telling you that your not dealing with SS crack, your dealing with potentially loud .22 cans. So you may, if you bought those a while, AND WANT TO KEEP THEM, and really only want very quite performance, you may want to only shoot subs and:

1. By buying your next host with a very short barrel, you will not have to pay for subs or deal with the unplated bullets and filthy powder.

2. Be able to buy cheap (hopefully still plated bullets) standard or even HV .22 and still only be subsonic.

Before you do ANYTHING with your wallet.

Find somebody with a 6" .22 pistol and mount your can:

1. shoot standard loads through your current can.

2. Use the same pistol and shoot some subs.

Find somebody with a 4" or less barrel and mount your can.

1. shoot standard loads through your current can.

2. Use the same pistol and shoot some subs through your can.

See if you like the sound.

If you do, you may like the host you tried.
If you do, you have a can worth keeping for your next host.
If you do, you do not need to consider integrals.

If you do not. you may need to get a new blast can.
If you do not, you may want to consider an integral.

There is more, but you should test some platforms with your cans first.

I like early Ruger Marks.
I really like Berretta 86 Cheetahs, but they are costly and need to be set-up.
I like integrals because of of their barrel harmonics doe accuracy and overall quiet.

Im a Long time Ruger fan but I'm picky of the Rugers I own. M77's, 77/22 mag and 77/17 and MK 2/3 and 22/45 pistols. No centerfire auto pistols. No 10/22's.
I have a newer model 22/45 with PAC- Lite 4" upper and PAC- Lite upper rail. I shoot it with a can. If it weren't for the PAC- Lite mods it too wouldn't get any use. This new Ruger is a cheap attempt by them to compete with the aftermarket. They act as though the purchasers of their product are ignorant and see this as a product as good as the aftermarket replacement parts. Most people buying this particular design with threaded barrel are smart enough to know quality. I would still spend more money to upgrade with quality parts than buy factory when it's not the same quality. The only reason I bought the 22/45 was for the frame. I replaced everything else.

My 6" S&W 422 usually shoots bulk Federal 36gr supersonic (some rounds are quiet, some are transitional, many are loud).
I'm using a Spectre.
I normally shoot CCI Standards, which I also run in my M-41.
Jim Clark offers a Picatinny, threaded Team Challenger barrel for S&W M-41s, at about the price of a MKIII. Standard is 5 1/2".

Wish S&W still made the 422.
BTW, RT51, my supressed P22 is very quiet. I have not experienced the back pop issue. I shoot Wolf standard thru it and some CCI sub sonic.