• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rugged (outdoor) smartphone recommendations

threetrees

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Tirol
i need a new phone. given my usual work and hobbies, it needs to stand temperatures down to about -15 deg C but not really above 30 deg C. Should be able to keep up with being drained in rain and/or water/rivers/lakes.

my old cell could stand these event, if followed by a quick disassembly and drying on the oven.

given that the new one will very likely be a smart phone (otherwise i might opt for a sonim), what do you guys use/recommend?

the two options i currently look at are:

- samsung galaxy xcover
- sony ericsson xperia active

with the samsung being in the lead a tiny bit ...

oh. due to me being with direct powersupply for up to a week, i'd prefer a longlasting unit. so ... 1+ week without recharging is kind of necessary

Re: rugged (outdoor) smartphone recommendations

Motorola makes a contractor flip phone that is ruged and water resistent, cannot remember the name but AT&T sells them. I use to have one befor my Blackberry.

Motorola Boulder is the phone you are thinking of ao. I had one for a couple years and it stood up to a lot of punishment: immersion, humidity, constant drops, bumps and abrasion. All of it here in Florida in the construction industry!

I upgraded to the Casio GzOne Commando Smart phone once it came out as it too is rated for DOD quality abuse and has so far lived up to it's advertising. I have dropped it dozens of times, swam with it in my pocket a couple times (unintentionally) and left it on the dash of the truck a few times where the temp had to hit at least 115 degrees.

I have not been in the deep cold with it so I can't speak to that but I can say that I waited until such a durable smart phone became available before I took the plunge.

http://www.casiogzone.com/commando/

My Casio Commando, Android based phone is pretty tough. I just recently washed the dirt off of it while I was in the shower. It is solar radiation resistant to milspec standards, water resistant and vibration proof so it can handle being locked into My Ram Mount on My motorcycle.

The only drawback is it's a generation behind as far as the android capabilities are concerned. Smaller cpu, and slower processing speed than the latest greatest phones. Battery life isn't that great either.

casio commando is interesting, sadly not available in my area (europe)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">casio commando is interesting, sadly not available in my area (europe) </div></div>

That is sad.

What about these?

Alpinehorn.jpg

PAD1474.jpg

hardly used anymore but pretty failsafe. you might argue that it's even encrypted
wink.gif

note: i'd prefer android running in the background.