• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Rugged Surge 762

Whit1721

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2019
Minnesota
I currently have a Surge 762 awaiting release and wondering if anybody has any experience with it in a precision setup.
I bought it more for a 300 blackout AR and a 308 bolt gun that’s not really set up for precision, more for hunting. Now I have a Bergara in 6.5CR and wondering how well it’s going to work. I know it’s more on the heavier side but as long as poi remains consistent and groups well who cares as the rifle already is fairly heavy.

The surge is a great suppressor. I love mine and I own quite a few cans. Accurate ordnance tests all their rifles with Rugged suppressors and I trust accurate ordnance with my rifle and a few of my prefits for my AI’s.

I also own a dead air nomad and while it is a good can my surge of better.

I have the following cans.
Thunder Beast Ultra 9
Rugged Surge
Rugged Razor
Rugged Odsidian .45
Rugged Oculus .22
Dead Air Nomad

A few surefire cans I don’t shoot anymore.

I used to own
SilencerCo omega
SilencerCo sparrow II
The omega was sold and replaced my the Nomad

The Rugged Surge is my favorite can. It’s super quiet and it’s built like a tank. I use it on all my rifles, bolt or semi auto.

I run the rugged cans on my semi’s because they are really low back pressure and Blowback is minimal.

I've had the Surge 7.62 since its release and have QD brakes on all my guns. I run it on my 300blk sbr in K config, 5.56, precision rifles. Dont wish I had any other can. I have the Surge 7.62, Obsidian 45 and Oculus 22. Top notch quality, amazing CS and awesome no questions asked warranty.

I hope this answers your precision bolt gun accuracy worries....

100yd 5 shot group to zero with Surge 7.62 before taking to distance

300yd

636yd 6BR

Last edited:
The surge is a great suppressor. I love mine and I own quite a few cans. Accurate ordnance tests all their rifles with Rugged suppressors and I trust accurate ordnance with my rifle and a few of my prefits for my AI’s.

I also own a dead air nomad and while it is a good can my surge of better.

I have the following cans.
Thunder Beast Ultra 9
Rugged Surge
Rugged Razor
Rugged Odsidian .45
Rugged Oculus .22
Dead Air Nomad

A few surefire cans I don’t shoot anymore.

I used to own
SilencerCo omega
SilencerCo sparrow II
The omega was sold and replaced my the Nomad

The Rugged Surge is my favorite can. It’s super quiet and it’s built like a tank. I use it on all my rifles, bolt or semi auto.

I run the rugged cans on my semi’s because they are really low back pressure and Blowback is minimal.
I have the obsidian 45 waiting as well for a 45acp AR that I built. I’m looking at the oculus next, how do you like it?
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've had the Surge 7.62 since its release and have QD brakes on all my guns. I run it on my 300blk sbr in K config, 5.56, precision rifles. Dont wish I had any other can. I have the Surge 7.62, Obsidian 45 and Oculus 22. Top notch quality, amazing CS and awesome no questions asked warranty.

I hope this answers your precision bolt gun accuracy worries....

100yd 5 shot group to zero with Surge 7.62 before taking to distance

300yd

636yd 6BR

That more than answers my questions! Thank you. That’s some great shooting, nice work!
How do you like the oculus? Looking at that one next. Going to be using it on mainly a custom 10/22, a pistol and maybe a 17 Mach 4 if it would handle the pressure

My oculus has only had about 200 rds through it. I’ve used it on a ruger mk3 with tac sol upper. It’s been super quite for me. Cleaning was simple. No functioning problems.

I’ve used it on my custom 10/22 which is a tac sol receiver and PWS carbon fiber tensioned barrel. Just messing around it has been shooting pretty accurate with a cheap red dot. I need to get glass to take it to distance but I have other projects.

I don’t run it in the short configuration at all though. Out of all the .22 cans I’ve owned this one has been my favorite. Maybe I will finish my 77/22 that I started a few years back and use it there or just buy a tikka t1X.

I too have a Rugged Surge in “jail”. Bought from my buddy who is a dealer. I got to shoot it quite a bit when I bought it, before it went to jail. Excellent can, VERY quiet. Good mounting system.

I am currently shooting another company’s suppressor, but look forward to the Surge.

The only Rugged I currently have is an Oculus and it's probably my favorite rimfire can.

I have a Mask HD, a Spectre II and Optimus Micro as well. My Oculus is currently doing duty on a Riger Mk3, but I've tested it for accuracy on my Vudoo and I couldn't shoot a difference between it and the Mask. It seems pretty tough built though. Probably more robust than anything other than the Optimus micro, which is a bit heavier and you can shoot up to a 22-250 through. I've never shot it on the short configuration though, so I can' t speak to that. I like the interactions I've had with the company although I've never needed any kind of real customer support because the can has been super solid. It's real easy to disassemble and put back together as well.

Thank you everybody for the input and taking the time to post reply’s, I appreciate it. The surge and obsidian were submitted middle of December so hopefully another month or two

The Surge is also my favorite suppressor I own.
For every coyote I thump, the last thing they hear is the mellow tone of
my Surge saying hello.

Thank you everybody for the input and taking the time to post reply’s, I appreciate it. The surge and obsidian were submitted middle of December so hopefully another month or two

So... is your Rugged Surge out of jail yet? I'm waiting on my first can (also a Rugged Surge) and I think I'm getting closer. I called yesterday and I was finally told that it is with an examiner. I've been calling every few weeks for the past few months and this is the first time I'm hearing that... fingers crossed I'm getting closer. Anyway... curious if you've received and shot yours and what you think. Be sure to post an update when you do!

I've got a Surge. It was the first can I bought. My only complaint is, the son of a bitch is a TANK! I typically run it in the 7.5" configuration just to cut down on weight.

It's the only can I have so I have nothing to compare it to. I've got a bunch of adapters, though so it sees use on multiple rifles, from 223 up to 6.5 Creed.

So... is your Rugged Surge out of jail yet? I'm waiting on my first can (also a Rugged Surge) and I think I'm getting closer. I called yesterday and I was finally told that it is with an examiner. I've been calling every few weeks for the past few months and this is the first time I'm hearing that... fingers crossed I'm getting closer. Anyway... curious if you've received and shot yours and what you think. Be sure to post an update when you do!
I just called today and it is with an examiner now, hopefully soon.
Coming up on a year, it has painful to watch all the individual approvals come through from this summer already. Wish they would speed up trusts

I've got a Surge. It was the first can I bought. My only complaint is, the son of a bitch is a TANK! I typically run it in the 7.5" configuration just to cut down on weight.

It's the only can I have so I have nothing to compare it to. I've got a bunch of adapters, though so it sees use on multiple rifles, from 223 up to 6.5 Creed.
I bought mine during Rugged’s promotion and got all the adapters so mine will see use on a few different rigs as well

I see PVA is now making a self timing adapter for the Surge too.

I'm thinking I may need one or two.

I just called today and it is with an examiner now, hopefully soon.
Coming up on a year, it has painful to watch all the individual approvals come through from this summer already. Wish they would speed up trusts

Cool. Well, let us know when you get it and can give a range report. I shot a 5x5 (5 groups of 5) last week so I have something to compare to when shooting suppressed. Not exactly scientific given likely differences in atmospherics but I'll be able to tell a general trend on the affect on accuracy. I'm kinda flinchy (not horrible... just typically pull 1 in 5 shots because of flinch)... so I'm hoping my groups will tighten up when shooting suppressed. We'll see!

I've been shooting a Surge 7.62 for years since they came out and had PVA make the QD brake. I was tired of timing Rugged brakes with peel washers. Especially for reviews when constantly switching barrels.

In regards to accuracy, hows sub 0.25moa at 636yd on 6BR? Accuracy is excellent, some calibers show a POI shift which is normal.

I've been shooting a Surge 7.62 for years since they came out and had PVA make the QD brake. I was tired of timing Rugged brakes with peel washers. Especially for reviews when constantly switching barrels.

In regards to accuracy, hows sub 0.25moa at 636yd on 6BR? Accuracy is excellent, some calibers show a POI shift which is normal.

Sounds pretty dang good to me. Do you think the POI shift is more directly related to barrel contour or is it something that is more rifle specific?

Sounds pretty dang good to me. Do you think the POI shift is more directly related to barrel contour or is it something that is more rifle specific?

I doubt it because I run all HV or straight blank barrels. Youre changing harmonics hanging that big can on the end of your barrel. Like a barrel tuner. Usually POI shift is 1"-2" low

Uh... yeah, that doesn't suck! Nice shooting. My average is .4MOA for a 5 shot group due to me pulling at least one every damn time. I think I can squeeze that in another 0.1.... will report back... hopefully soon! Approaching 1 yr in jail.

I really need to pick up one of those pva brakes for my 6.5 before my can is released, @padom does it seem to improve on recoil reduction vs the factory rugged brakes?

I really need to pick up one of those pva brakes for my 6.5 before my can is released, @padom does it seem to improve on recoil reduction vs the factory rugged brakes?

Yea it improves. But I only wanted it so I could install a brake in 2min vs fucking with peel washers. The recoil reduction was a bonus.

Both my surge and obsidian were approved! Now the wait for the stamp! Any recommendations on a cover?
I will also be looking at the PVA brake as well, I have the rugged ones installed already and will see how well the work but if the PVA is better I won’t hesitate to order it

@padom, when you orders yours, did you give them measurements or just what suppressor it’s for? I’m going to order one and not sure what to put in the notes on the order page

I run the Insulator on my Surge. Love it
Here the 6.5 and 30cal self timing QD muzzle brakes

Those look great, will have to order one up.
@padom, I ordered the insulator from precision underground and don’t have a measurement in the long config to give them. Not sure when my stamps will come in and would like to get this cover coming. Would you know or be able to measure the length in the long config minus the locking collar?

You did cover my collar and Im not sure why you wouldnt. 9" with collar, 8" without
Perfect thanks. Some collars are tricky to cover because of their shape but this one looks like it will cover easily. I thought I remembered covering yours. Glad you are enjoying it and thanks for the shout out!

BTW the bag we came up with for you is very popular. I should have named it the PADOM instead of the 3d ELR!

Reactions: padom
Perfect thanks. Some collars are tricky to cover because of their shape but this one looks like it will cover easily. I thought I remembered covering yours. Glad you are enjoying it and thanks for the shout out!

BTW the bag we came up with for you is very popular. I should have named it the PADOM instead of the 3d ELR!

Haha no problem bud. Best bag out there. I have 10+ bags, they are all collecting dust. I use the PADOM almost every day.??

What is the measurement without the "adapt" module threaded on? I'm looking to get one for each configuration.

Finally able to bring home the surge and obsidian a week or so ago. Extremely impressed with the build qualities in both of them. I haven’t been able to get out with the 6.5 to try out the surge yet, just out in the backyard on an AR in 300 blackout. Also shot the obsidian on a 45acp AR. Both sounded great! Now I know why people say once you shoot suppressed you won’t go back.
A big thank you to @Precision Underground for the cover for the surge, fit was perfect and quality of materials and workmanship second to none! Will be ordering some more in the future.

@padom I'm looking at getting all the rugged cans you listed above, the obsidian and oculus is serviceable but the rugged is not. How have you addressed cleaning it or has it even become an issue, I know with high power rifle cans the carbon is supposed to get blown out during use but have read reports of a few ounces or more of carbon being trapped in the baffles making it louder and heavier. Just curious what's your take on this since you've had the can a good bit and put it through what I would assume is heavy use.

@padom I'm looking at getting all the rugged cans you listed above, the obsidian and oculus is serviceable but the rugged is not. How have you addressed cleaning it or has it even become an issue, I know with high power rifle cans the carbon is supposed to get blown out during use but have read reports of a few ounces or more of carbon being trapped in the baffles making it louder and heavier. Just curious what's your take on this since you've had the can a good bit and put it through what I would assume is heavy use.

You mean the Surge 7.62? Nothing has been done to it, nothing needs to be done to it and it shoots tiny little groups. I don't clean any of my cans.

You mean the Surge 7.62? Nothing has been done to it, nothing needs to be done to it and it shoots tiny little groups. I don't clean any of my cans.
Yes, the surge. Do you use the pva surge self timing mount by switching it from barrel to barrel or have multiple of the mounts? Could you ballpark a round count for the surge?Thanks

Yes, the surge. Do you use the pva surge self timing mount by switching it from barrel to barrel or have multiple of the mounts? Could you ballpark a round count for the surge?Thanks

Yes, I have both Surge and PVA QD brakes on 20-30 rifles. Both bolt guns and AR's. Round count is over 10,000

Hey padom- how do you like the PVA brake? Is the recoil noticeably better than the Rugged brake? I have the Surge 762 but need another brake for a host rifle. Thoughts on the PVA brake?

Hey padom- how do you like the PVA brake? Is the recoil noticeably better than the Rugged brake? I have the Surge 762 but need another brake for a host rifle. Thoughts on the PVA brake?

Yes recoil is excellent but even more awesome is the self timing feature vs the damn peel washers when installing the rugged break.