• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ruggedness of Athlon

Adkhunter3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2020
    Earth
    Was thinking of switching from my Nightforce SHV to a Athlon Midas Tac on my hunting rig to shave .5 pound off it. My only question is how rugged is the Athlon Midas Tac?

Good choice. I can tell you the Midas TAC took the recoil from a Barrett 50 with no issues including being blown off the rifle and still holding zero.

You're going the wrong direction with that change. JMHO

For dialing in long range applications, I don't trust anything made in China. You have a freaking Nightforce...why would you go to an Athlon? Half a pound....hit the gym
    Hitting the gym isn’t a problem. Thanks for your valuable input.
    Edit: And after just reading through that NF thread where they screwed that guy over I’m not going to run out an buy any new NF anytime soon.

Last edited:
    Could you point us to the thread where Nightforce screwed someone over?
    I don’t remember the title of the thread, hopefully someone else will chime in. It was a pretty long thread. Guy isolated the problem to the scope after testing a bunch of different variables. NF wouldn’t fix the issue. He had to get a lawyer. Guess they ended up having him sign a non disclosure agreement to cover their ass.

Could you point us to the thread where Nightforce screwed someone over?
    Pretty sure he’s referring to this

I love my Athlon and love my NF. NF has the record of holding up, Athlon does not.

Take that for what it’s worth. Reliability is worth more to me than .5 lbs

Reactions: Adkhunter3
    Hitting the gym isn’t a problem. Thanks for your valuable input.
    Edit: And after just reading through that NF thread where they screwed that guy over I’m not going to run out an buy any new NF anytime soon.
    Not saying you should run out and buy a new one - your SHV is a good scope.

I am saying if you are going to buy a new scope, I wouldn't pay Japanese money and buy a Chinese scope. If you are looking at the Midas Tac, I'll mention that an SWFA HD 5-20 is Japanese made, crazy reliable, costs the same and weighs the same as the Midas tac.

But a half pound on a rifle is almost nothing IMHO. I'd drill out my stock, cut down my barrel, etc. before I'd buy a Chinese scope for a rifle I cared about and that was going to be lugged around and potentially beat up.

JMHO - worth what you paid for it. Reliability is my #1 priority, so I don't really even consider Chinese long range precision scopes - life is too short for that.

Last edited:
    Not saying you should run out and buy a new one - your SHV is a good scope.

I am saying if you are going to buy a new scope, I wouldn't pay Japanese money and buy a Chinese scope. If you are looking at the Midas Tac, I'll mention that an SWFA HD 5-20 is Japanese made, crazy reliable, and weighs the same as the Midas tac.
    Agree. Well put.
    But a half pound on a rifle is almost nothing IMHO. I'd drill out my stock, cut down my barrel, etc. before I'd buy a Chinese scope for a rifle I cared about and that was going to be lugged around and potentially beat up.

JMHO - worth what you paid for it. Reliability is my #1 priority, so I don't really even consider Chinese long range precision scopes - life is too short for that.

Pretty sure he’s referring to this

Damn well that changes some things for my future purchases. That’s disappointing.

I don't plan on buying any optics made in China moving forward for a number of reasons

1. I'm tired of tracking issues
    2. I'm tired of chasing accuracy issues that were the scope
    3. My eyes are not getting better every year
    4. My targets aren't generally getting closer
    5. Politics

I have scopes from various regions around the globe and I just don't like any of my Chinese scopes now that I've looked through German, Japanese, and American scopes. I've spent enough on ammo and mounts chasing my Chinese scopes that I could've bought some better scopes from the beginning.

So to answer your question, I would say the only athlon I would go to from a NF would be a Cronus because it's Japanese all the others are Chinese. If you want lighter go check out a vortex razor lht or leupold mk6hd or something like that. You don't want to go from a solid reliable optic to something you may question for 8 oz.

Reactions: patriot07
    Good choice. I can tell you the Midas TAC took the recoil from a Barrett 50 with no issues including being blown off the rifle and still holding zero.

Good news!

Through the magic of human ingenuity, a miraculous product called scope rings have been invented so you no longer have to struggle with the challenges of scopes being blown off of rifles.

Own both brands and the Athlon scope that I have, the reticle shifted and black spots appeared. Never had an issue with NF. I wouldn’t trade a NF for an Athlon.

I don’t know what kind of hunting you do and how rugged your application needs to be, but I would imagine one good drop or bang up against something and you might experience something similar to what I have with an Athlon. The reliability isn’t comparable in my opinion. I sure wouldn’t want to miss that shot on a hunt because I switched a NF to an Athlon.

I've seen a mate drop a 10.5kg/23lbs PRS rig onto a concrete slab from barricade height (A. we were dry firing, B. no one made a joke)
    It crashed straight down onto a NightForce ATACR 7-35 (hence no one made a smart comment, owner went very quiet).
    That NF is still functioning perfectly.

PS. it actually ended up costing me a bomb, I bought one based on that event (amongst other considerations)

I've seen a mate drop a 10.5kg/23lbs PRS rig onto a concrete slab from barricade height (A. we were dry firing, B. no one made a joke)
    It crashed straight down onto a NightForce ATACR 7-35 (hence no one made a smart comment, owner went very quiet).
    That NF is still functioning perfectly.

PS. it actually ended up costing me a bomb, I bought one based on that event (amongst other considerations)
    I too saw this from a tank trap. Fell right off and landed on a 7-35. Nothing happened but battle worn scars on the turret lol. He just stood there and looked at his brand new scope laying on the ground afraid to pick it up.

everything was fine though.