• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Rule of Thumb - Target Constants

Lasuras66

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2012
Kentucky
Hey everyone,

I have been wondering what some constants are when it comes to target size pertaining to "in the field" work that a scout sniper might use, specifically pertaining to humans. What I mean by this is height or width of the head, torso, full body, etc. I would like to use this on full size targets is the only reason I am asking. A large clothing store recently went out of business, and I came into a rather decent supply of manikins
laugh.gif
I thought, "What a great target!"

Anyhow, I will post a few of what I think would be a good constant to use. I encourage you all to post what you might think some constants would be to use, or maybe even some constants on other types of targets that aren't pre-made paper targets that have been setup by the shooter.

My constants:

Full Body - 6 foot? Not really up to date on the average male's height. Differs by region I suppose.
Head - 9in. height
Torso - 36in. height

Not really sure on the width, because that could be a wide window depending upon the specific person I would think.

Re: Rule of Thumb - Target Constants

I am on my phone so searching is a pain but I know there is a thread with tons of constants... If you search should be able to find otherwise maybe someone will link it.

Problem one with milling people is the size differentials, there really is no such thing as a constant. Average numbers will get you close, but only at ranges that are not a real problem anyway.

Problem two, and far more of an issue that one, PEOPLE MOVE! Unless the current subject is tied to a post, you are going to find it REAL difficult to get a good mil reading. Bottom line, mil readings on people are a waste of time and energy.

Concentrate instead on common mass produced objects. For example, I've got sizes for things like traffic signs and vehicle wheelbases, common construction materials, military vehicles, weapons (like mortar tube lengths) and so forth. These are often available to range, move less (unless being carried or driven at the time) and are very consistent in size with good clean reticle points for measurement.

Thats why I like good maps for ranging. There is really no such thing is average, meaning how do you know if your target is average.

Like hunting, you don't see many stop signs or man made objects where I hunt. It is a high or low average deer.

Maps are handy. Lots of times a Laser Range finder just wont work.

Chances are the distance from one ridge to another wont change.

Within the last few months, someone posted an extensive list of various targets for ranging and some average measurements associated with them. I recall looking through it, but unfortunately I don't remember which forum it was in or who posted it. Sorry. But at least you know it's here somewhere. Maybe the SH Google Search engine? Not sure how to find it otherwise.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

Impact also offers target pages with common objects and sizes

+1 to the impact target pages, they are quite nice. You might reference an epidemiology textbook or report for averages in the region you'd be working, or otherwise use other constants you can observe. Beverage cans are great for this, in that a 12oz can is 4.75" x 2.5", and are exported/produced liberally. Same goes for bricks (2.5" height) and Cinder Blocks (7.5"). As Cory stated, ranging a moving target, with rough estimates of dimensions, is fairly impractical and inaccurate at appreciable distances where you need to actually dial in accurate corrections.
In more direct response, average male height is 5' 9" to 5' 10" in the US.