• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Running 6mm Dasher or 6mm GT in an AXSR

• Thread starter Deleted member 115591
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 115591

Was wondering if I can get some input/guidance from someone with experience... Read through a few threads that touched on this question, but with no definetive answer.

Currently in the process of purchasing an AXSR with 308 bolt and 308 magazine. I want to try shooting 6mm Dasher in this rifle and was wondering if anyone have experience running the dasher from magazine in the AXSR? If the dasher cannot be ran from the AXSR 308 magazine, would a magazine conversion kit work?

If the dasher cannot be ran from the AXSR (with or without magazine conversion kits), I was thinking maybe I can go with a 6mm GT? Has anyone been running 6mm GT from AXSR magazine? Any issuess or concerns?

Would really appreciate any information!

This isn't a dasher. It's a 6br just for reference for you. This is the position they release from the feed lips in. I don't think the 6br case is far enough forward to enter the chamber when it's released. That's part of why the 6gt was designed. To be long enough to be entering the chamber as it's released from the magazine. If that makes sense.

20230114_140427.jpg

Thank you Jbuck88, that photo really helps explain what the issue is with short 6mm cartridges.

Do you know if the 6GT have any similar issues in the AXSR?

I just burnt out my 6.5 CM Barrel, and put on a prefit from proof for 6 Dasher. With no magazine kit, I couldn't get rounds to feed. I tried installing an HRD kit, but it needs to be modified to fit in an AXSR mag. After modifying, they feed fractionally better, but I'm talking about maybe being able to cycle 2 rounds cleanly.

I'm going to call Mile High on Monday and speak to Adam (the Gunsmith) and see if he knows or has any modifications he can make to the mags to get it to feed better. Otherwise it may be back to 6.5 CM for me.

Here is a side by side of 6.5 CM (Left) and Dasher (Right). They look similar, but the Dasher nosedives when you try to feed.
Mag Comparison.JPG

I just burnt out my 6.5 CM Barrel, and put on a prefit from proof for 6 Dasher. With no magazine kit, I couldn't get rounds to feed. I tried installing an HRD kit, but it needs to be modified to fit in an AXSR mag. After modifying, they feed fractionally better, but I'm talking about maybe being able to cycle 2 rounds cleanly.

I'm going to call Mile High on Monday and speak to Adam (the Gunsmith) and see if he knows or has any modifications he can make to the mags to get it to feed better. Otherwise it may be back to 6.5 CM for me.

Here is a side by side of 6.5 CM (Left) and Dasher (Right). They look similar, but the Dasher nosedives when you try to feed.
Mind sharing what you find out from Mile High? Also, would you be able to ask him whether or not the same issue will exist for the 6gt?

So I went to Mile High and spoke to Adam.

Long story short, it’s not possible to run Dasher or any of the short 6mms in the AXSR reliably. We used the HRD kit, modified the feed lips, and still got less than 50% of the rounds to feed.

The issue is how far back and how short the feed lips are. There is a moment when you’re cycling a round where that round is literally just free floating inside the action, and there is nothing guiding it, which causes it to not feed.

They took my Proof prefit (unfired) and sent it back to proof to be rechambered in 6mm Creedmoor. He said they sent all of their Proof Dashers for the AXSR back to do the same thing.

Reactions: TylerN
This is good to know. I’m going to do a 6.5 x 47 for my AXSR once I can find a .308 bolt. I wonder when we’ll see those?

My 308 bolt showed up for my AXSR. I have a 6.5 barrel but want to do a 6br or dasher.

Sounding like these will have to be single fed for the most part? Is this still the case? Really isn’t a bit deal for just plinking for me.