• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Running help please

bjordan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2010
Siler City, NC
I'm 5'11" and weigh 195, have lost 30 pounds since January. My goal weight is 180. I Lost the weight by eating smaller portions and doing away with soda's and tea. I started running in May, I typically run 2-3 times a week. I started off running on a 1/5th mile track. I couldn't even run one lap for the longest time. I've gradually been able to run farther and have ran 3 miles twice now. I'd like to work up to be able to run a full marathon. I plan to run a 5k in September. I don't know any runners and don't know if I'm going about it right. Do I need to try and keep increasing my distance or should I stay at say 3 miles for a while and work on increasing my speed? Basically I'm a beginner runner and want to make sure I'm doing the proper things to get better. I've been using ENDOMONDO running app on my droid for info. If theres any better free apps I'm all ears too. My distance last night was 3.01 miles in 28:48 with an average pace of 9.34 min per mile. My individual mile times are as folllows: 1-9:16 2-9:54 3-9:37. Any and all info is appreciated.

Re: Running help please

Many people injure themselves training for a marathon. Don't worry about your timed-miles or your speed.

I know people who like this training program and have done it:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html

But in my opinion there's simply no need to run more than 7 miles at a time.

Here's my opinion as a 5'11" 180lb intermediate runner with numerous 5K/10K/10M, half-dozen half marathons (1:48 PR), and the 2011 Chicago Marathon (4:45, it was f'in hot!) under my belt...its worth exactly what you paid for it.

Endurance is more important than speed. If you build your endurance first, speed comes MUCH easier. If you go too fast, too early, you become prone to injury which will slow your physical progress and stunt you physiologically...I know this from experience!

You are currently on pace to run 5k in sub-30 minutes; that's a good time for a beginner. After another month of training, you could probably shave a minute or two more off that time before your race.

I would recommend running 3-4 times per week, with one day off between runs. Have your base run be 3 miles, but one run per week (Saturday or Sunday) add one mile each week. So your one-week mileage would be 10mi the first week (3+3+4), then 11 the next week (3+3+5), etc. Don't worry about speed on the long runs, just do the distance. Don't do the long run before your 5K, and give yourself an extra rest day before the race.

After your 5K, if you're still interested in a full marathon, sign up for a half marathon and train for it while running shorter distance races as part of the training. After you run the half, if you're still interested in the full, sign up for it and give yourself at least 16 (preferably 24) weeks to train).

There's some good info here...good luck!
http://www.runnersworld.com/topic/0,7122,s6-238-520-0-0,00.html

i've been training for the tough mudder for the last 2-3 months, 8- 10 miles

my advice, take it slowly, dont overtrain, I couldnt run 3-4 times a week...my legs were in agony , shin splints, etc. and thats with 2-3 different type of shoes.

I can run 6-8 miles, 9 min/mile now, but I havnt reach my goal.

my recommendation is diet and supplements :

http://www.hammernutrition.com/

Thanks for all the replies, guess I'll keep doing about what I've been doing, adding more distance when capable.

Google the Tabata protocol and work that into your plan. Contrary to popularly held opinion, endurance is the easiest adaption to acquire when compared to strength and speed.

...and no endurance is not more important than strength and speed... they don't award medals to athletes who had the easiest most comfortable effort in the competition (good endurance). Medals go to the fastest strongest athletes who have figured how to titrate in just enough endurance. It's all a balance and endurance can be added in once you have a base of strength and speed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and no endurance is not more important than strength and speed... they don't award medals to athletes who had the easiest most comfortable effort in the competition (good endurance).</div></div>

That's all well in good in competition, but the only person OP is competing with as a brand new runner his himself.

Short-burst interval training at <span style="text-decoration: underline">this point</span> in his running development could easily prove more harmful than beneficial. Besides, from what I see on "tabataprotocol.com" it offers no benefits for a runner that a traditional interval program of fartleks and tempo runs wouldn't provide.

There's plenty of folks out there that believe "power" is more important for one's base than "endurance" (Crossfit, for example), but when it comes to distance running, one is definitely more beneficial to have than the other.

But, like many things, there are dozens of ways to get to the same end goal and a technique or plan that works for one person won't necessarily work for another...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Google the Tabata protocol and work that into your plan. Contrary to popularly held opinion, endurance is the easiest adaption to acquire when compared to strength and speed.

...and no endurance is not more important than strength and speed... they don't award medals to athletes who had the easiest most comfortable effort in the competition (good endurance). Medals go to the fastest strongest athletes who have figured how to titrate in just enough endurance. It's all a balance and endurance can be added in once you have a base of strength and speed. </div></div>

Spoken like a non-runner with no experience.

You are probably racing most of your runs. The bulk of your runs should be at a conversational, very easy pace. If you have to walk, you are running to fast. Slow down, whatever you need to do to lengthen your run. Once you have endurance and aerobic base, you can work in speed. Contrary to what the know-nothings will preach, slow running DOES make you faster, in fact much faster than over-working yourself with fast running you are not ready for.

But what do I know, I went from barely being able to run 2 miles continuously in junior high to doing 10K in under 31min (sub-5min mile pace) by my mid-20s. By doing a ton (100+ mpw regularly) of mostly easy running with 2-3 real workouts per week.

Go to www.runningahead.com, sit back, and learn.

Medals go to athletes who typically run more miles than most mortals would dare consider, most of them at a comparatively easy pace. It's knowing when to run hard, how often, and how much, that wins medals. Not running hard all the time.

Oh, and the marathon? Seriously forget about it for now. People put WAY too much focus on the marathon. This coming from someone who spent 4 years trying to get into the olympic trials. Focus on the 5K and 10K. A couple years down the road when you are faster and more experienced, start thinking of the marathon. Really, it's over-hyped. You are no less of a runner for not having done one. Wait until you are ready.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

...pretty arrogant assertion given you don't know who I am.

Long SLOW distance makes you FAST huh? Exactly how does long slow distance make you fast?

whiskey,

If you want to know how it works go and try it, if it doesnt work for you then you know it's BS. But I think ATH knows what he is talking about and I also agree with his advice. Some of my fastest races have come a week after some of my longest runs.

I've done both and I have an opinion on what works. I spent 20 yrs doing long slow distance (15 to 20 hrs a week) and then I learned a more efficient way to train. I want to hear his logic.

I'm a new runner myself - been running very consistently for @ 14 months now.

Here are a couple of things that have helped me:

- Speak to lots of folks who run - esp those that have similar body types and are in a similar age group that have been running a long time.

- Take note of the things they say that are common

- Take note of all of their injuries and how they fixed them. HINT: virtually everything is related to a lack of flexibility.

- Try not to exceed an increase of more than 10% per week

- Listen to your body

- That said - pain is part of it, and learning to shut your mind off and push through is important. Know the difference between pain and damage.

- Vary your training. From what I have gathered, if you run 3 days a week, one day should be a mid milage, mid range pace; second day, a shorter run that is designed to strictly be about speed. (That may mean, start out fast and stay fast through entire run, or intervals - start out medium and at the half way point pick up the pace and add 50 / 100 yrd sprints, recovery is on the jog, then pick up the pace, then sprint... repeat); and on the 3rd and final day - a long run that is at a pace that allows you to push the distance a bit (whatever that is for you).

- Good shoes and good socks. Again speak to others that are built like you and see when most are retiring their shoes. They build them for folks that are more like 140#, so based on your body weight, terrain, weather, etc - you may not see as many miles out of a pair. At my weight (220#) I get @ 275 miles out of them before they have noticeably less cushion.

- Get some good gear (coat / tights / hats / clear safety glasses etc) when winter comes. Rain / snow sucks to run in, but with good gear it makes it bearable.

Good luck

Try to get out moving for a minimum of 30-45 minutes at least every other day. If you want to lose weight, it's ideal to go longer and more frequently.

Don't neglect recovery days though so your body can repair and rebuild. You might also want to look into cross training like an exercise bike to give your body a break from the impact of running.

Don't worry a lot about pace so much as establishing a regular routine. It's perfectly fine to walk or run-walk, especially in the early months.

A key component can also be diet alteration, and getting rid of all junk food, including most processed foods, and ensuring you get good nutritional value from the things you do consume.

14% body fat is actually on the healthy end, and it may be difficult to lose fat beyond that. Exercise is also likely to put on muscle, so though your body shape might change and get more toned, you may or may not see a lot of actual weight loss.

Those who establish a good sustainable exercise routine and overhaul their diet tend to average a loss of about 5 sustainable pounds per month.

And as far as a running "guide," it can be key to listen to your body more than anything. You also generally want to be more concerned with time you put in and regularity over anything else.

In the April '12 issue of Runners World there is an article on Danny Abeshire who is the owner of Newton shoes. He goes over his theory on how to actually run correctly and is worth your time to read it. You can get the article free on Newtons website. As far as distance and pace goes, don't push yourself so hard that you are not having fun with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: emilyee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't worry a lot about pace so much as establishing a regular routine. It's perfectly fine to walk or run-walk, especially in the early months.</div></div>
This has been what is helping me the most. I have been wanting to increase the distance I can run and I feel the biggest problem for me is I don't know how to pace myself. I was a 100 & 200M sprinter back in highschool, so going 100% was what I was used to. Now that I have my sights set on a triathlon, I have to learn how to slow down and just increase the distance as much as possible. I've been alternating my pace a lot and walking as frequently as needed to ensure I get all my miles in. So far it has been working out VERY well for me. As opposed to before I started doing this, I would get to 1-1.5 miles and my lungs would be burnt out. Now, when I get to that point, I just walk a 50, slow jog a 50, and just slowly build up the pace from there and go as long as I can go, then repeat the cycle until I have my target miles done. This is what has been helping me. It's nice to actually get a good long run in, The enorphins make it worth the effort.

I too am starting out in the running scene and ground zero. In fact I just got fitted for my new Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12 in size 11, 2E the other day.

As far as running and off days, I have always been primarily focused on weight and body weight training.

How well do you guys mix in a decent amount of running with a significant focus on weight training? Do I really need to pick one focus over the other?

I would like to avoid giving back all my strength gains that I've made the past few months after the baby decided to start sleeping through the night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Long SLOW distance makes you FAST huh? Exactly how does long slow distance make you fast? </div></div>

I'll listen to anyone who can run 500 miles in a month.

I'll second and third the recommendations of continue what you're doing and speed is the last thing you need to worry about. Long easy runs will help you more than anything else.

Last year I started 2011 running 20 miles a week and running 2-3 hard runs a week. Got injuried (IT Band) in March. Had to take 2 months off to get over it. Started back in May and decided to start back and train for a Marathon in Dec. After talking with a local running coach I went back and started with slow easy miles. Adding 1-2 miles a week after a couple weeks of 10 miles each. I didn't start any speed workouts or hard runs until Oct. Ended the year setting PRs in the 5k and 10k and finished my fiirst marathon in 3:31. If you do a slow climb in mileage you'll get to a point where a 5k or even a 10k seems like childs play. Thats when you can start really working the speed side of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plt228</div><div class="ubbcode-body">finished my first marathon in 3:31.</div></div>

Dude that's AWESOME...congrats!

congratulations on your transformation!

caveat: i did not read any of the advice offered thus far but think that there may be a chance the following advice was not offered and feel it is important to mention as it has kept me injury free for the last 1.5 years.

i will provide the following two links talking about the same idea of a landing on the ball of your foot(forefoot) as apposed to a heal strike that most shoes almost encourage you to do.

http://www.posetech.com/training/archives/000414.html
http://www.runningplanet.com/training/toe-ball-heel-foot-strike.html

during my research about changing my stride i stumbled across the barefoot movement. there are many that say you are naturally forced to run in a low impact and efficient manor and just need to try. try i did and i ran my ever barefoot jog on a treadmill for 3 miles. yes i got some decent blisters from refusing to quit but the important thing to take from this anecdotal story is how quickly i subconsciously changed my form to one that is much more efficient.

not having the weight of the shoes on the feet feels good as you think about how much easier i am making this jog by shedding those xx ounces every range of motion; it adds up.

Regarding training for a marathon, I would see if there are any running clubs in your area that offer scheduled training. They are generally structured to where you work up gradually to the full distance, and most provide water stops along the way.

Also nice as you start running the longer distances to have other people to run with. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Long SLOW distance makes you FAST huh? Exactly how does long slow distance make you fast? </div></div>

I don't have to know who you are, the fact that you would continue to make such a statement when anyone with any experience in distance running would disagree tells me what I need to know.

For starters, simply look up the training of any successful distance runner. Plenty of elites make their logs open. You will see that the vast majority of their miles are run at an easy pace. Why do you think this is?

I already gave some clues as to my credentials....sub-5 minute mile pace (sub-31 minute 10K) running 80% of my miles at an easy pace, 80-120 miles per week. Pretty good for someone who could barely make varsity in high school and was not on the travel squad (mid-34 10K) in college. The 3:21 improvement in my 10K happened by...wait for it....increasing my weekly mileage by about double, while the volume dedicated to fast running remained about equal.

The ability to run fast for distance races depends primarily on the volume of oxygen you can deliver to your muscles and use, per unit time. Key factors in this are cardiac output, capillary density in your muscles, number of mitochondria per cell, and enzyme levels within the mitochondria. Slower running does an excellent job of increasing capillary density, mitochondrial numbers, and enzyme levels. Faster running augments this by doing a good job of increasing stroke volume of the heart and further increasing some of the other factors. In other words, a large volume of slow running builds a strong foundation which a smaller volume of faster running simply sharpens.

To make an auto analogy, The biggest hot-rod engine in the world (fast running) isn't worth squat if it is tied to a small gas tank and an insufficient fuel pump.

Now, please share, what are your credentials to argue and call the experienced arrogant rather than listen? I'm on track for 3000 miles this year and already have a sub-2:40 marathon under my belt, despite being pretty much a hobby runner at this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjordan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm 5'11" and weigh 195, have lost 30 pounds since January. My goal weight is 180. I Lost the weight by eating smaller portions and doing away with soda's and tea. </div></div>
Great work; great way to avoid injury. You're also 28. You can push yourself a bit more since you're young, unless you're an ex-athlete/tuff guy and think you're still 18; then cool it a bit. (and if you have old injuries) The lighter you are the better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjordan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started running in May, I typically run 2-3 times a week. I started off running on a 1/5th mile track. I couldn't even run one lap for the longest time. I've gradually been able to run farther and have ran 3 miles twice now. </div></div>
You have a process and a schedule; really any one will do. One that you stick to. That's probably 70% of the battle for a beginner. Have fun with the apps and logs and try to make some runner friends. Get that pretty lady in the picture to go with you on her bike.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjordan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'd like to work up to be able to run a full marathon. I plan to run a 5k in September. Do I need to try and keep increasing my distance or should I stay at say 3 miles for a while and work on increasing my speed? Basically I'm a beginner runner and want to make sure I'm doing the proper things to get better. </div></div>
Distance is key. You can do some 60-80% sprints. Doing 400 meters on the track. Run 400 walk 400 is a killer workout. Does both for a beginner. DON'T PULL MUSCLES. Stay less than 80% speed. Are you a desk jockey? Take some 10+ miles walks and strengthen those supporting muscles in your feet.(both in your running shoes and different shoes/hiking boots.

Good luck.

And be conservative. According to my Doctor Classmate whose brother died early as a ultramarathoner...Prostate cancer is proving to be more aggressive in the uber-long distance runners. Just saying.

I have been running for 4 years now and I would say the Hal Higdon plan works best if you want to run a marathon..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cramey74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been running for 4 years now and I would say the Hal Higdon plan works best if you want to run a marathon.. </div></div>

Higdon...Daniels...Hudson...a bit different, all good.

For beginners, I like Hansons. They own a running shop business in Michigan, have an elite team. The difference with their plan is they trash the over-emphasis on the long run for beginner marathoners (but you should have a few years before you are thinking marathon).

On websites/apps, check out www.runningahead.com. The log is the best on the net, bar none. Lots of experienced people and good advice in the forums.