• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rural Homeowner's Insurance

Roddd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2012
SoCal
I guess it's a bit off topic even for the Bear Pit, but I'm curious about the members who live in a rural area on more than 5 acres of land and who you guys use to insure your home. I've had about a 3 month long headache with my current policy and shopping around, but finding anybody who insures large properties is harder than I thunk. Thanks in advance.

I have a house & outbuildings on 29 acres 10 miles SE of Newcastle Wyoming. Also have a rental in town. I have had no problem with "Foremost" insurance. Got it through the local bank insurance broker.

Don't know if they insure in your neck of the woods but you might want to check.

They are reasonably priced and I've never had problems with them.

I use USAA for vehicles and most everything else but they weren't too happy about insuring my house so far from town.

Edit to add: If you have horses (which I do) some insurance companies get pissy, not so with Foremost.

Last edited:
We are on 20 acres in the central valley. Have a rental (inlaws place before they died) on the property too.
Believe it or not, State Farm has been our incs co for almost 17 years. We have a "farm/ranch" policy with them.

Had a house fire 10+ years ago related to a poorly insulated stove pipe on the wood burning stove. We tapped into what was already there when we bought the place. Extensive remodel was required

. We moved out of the house for over a year. They wanted to rent us a house in town (covered by the policy) I was running a business off the property and didn't want to leave. They paid for a modular home (Trailer)to be put on the property and tied into the septic, water and electric while the repairs were done to the house.

They have been great. Like a good neighbor...

If you have a state farmer's org. check through them. Here we have the Oregon Farm Bureau and they use Country Companies Insurance Group. The insurer understands outbuildings, livestock, farm equipment, etc. They also understand the attendant liabilities.

When Mom and Dad were actively farming their 43 acres, they used Tennessee Farm Bureau. But I'm sure there is probably a Farm Bureau office in every state.

North central Indiana here. I own ten acres in the country. I currently use consolidated union for both residential and auto insurance. It wasn't the cheapest option by far, but my agent is an anal ocd freak so i know I have everything covered.

Things to think about for insurance quotes....If you have metal roofing, cement siding, surveillance system, high efficiency hvac, anything to help promote the house, let them know. I have several discounts due to the items mentioned above. Do not tell them you have a fireplace unless you have to. That will only cause your rates to go to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I'm rural on the East Coast. Was dropped by one insurance company because they came out to inspect the farm (after 10 years) an my dogs met them at the car :). They never informed me they where inspecting. Dogs are on the invisible fence for 10 acres and won't let you out of the car unless mom or dad says so. Keeps the meth heads out :)

I have Brethren Mutual now. They understand to call or write with a returned call before coming out. They have see all the dogs when they inspected the property to insure the farm. They never said I had to move equipment or anything. Been with them for three years now with no increases or changes in the policy.

You need to check with some insurance brokers. Find providers that handle farms and land tracks.

Oh, I use USAA for the cars and trucks. But they wanted six times more then Brethren to insure me!

46 acres in E. Texas. 6 commercial chicken houses, half dozen barns/ outbuildings, 3 rentals, tractors, generators, horses, cows, dogs, golf cars(work, not golf), 4 wheelers,cats, and more. Farm Bureau has seen us through Rita, Katrina, Ike and some they didn't name. Theft, abuse by farm hands, etc. No hesitation. If there is a "good" insurance company, it's F.B. I.M.O.

292 acres House, Barn, Hanger, Airstrip, and five pole barns. State Farm, no one else comes close.

Thank you guys for your responses. I'll be calling State Farm tomorrow. I got a nice quote from Farmers as well. The area in which I reside (AO for you snipery OAF guys) is rated a 9/10 for fire danger. I had Chubb (insurance, fucksticks) but they dropped me and are requesting the local FD does an inspection that they never do, so it's off to someone else. Again, thank you for your responses.

Ive had Farmers auto insurance for years. My old man has had them for his homeowners for probably 30+ years. When I was looking at 30-50 acre properties a few years ago I talked to our agent and he said no problem, each building would need to be inspected and documented, etc...

The other suggestion I got from my real estate agent was to call the state farm bureau and ask them as they generally keep up to date on who all the good farm type insurance companies licensed in the state are.