• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Russian SV-98

RedDragunWeapons

Private
Minuteman
So I'm interested to hear from you professionals who have competed against and/or shot one of these rifles. What are your thoughts and impressions? I know at an international sniper competition a few years ago the rifle's shooters were taking home top honors.

Re: Russian SV-98

Hi Bud ,

Look , just forget about that rifle , as it will never be available , so why even bother talking about it.

Any thing Mil made by the Russians is NOT available for export to civies .

This rifle is basically , a version of the civie Record CISM ( 10 shot rifle ) , that was meant to have been available to buy , but I have never even seen one outside the brochure .

Both have wood laminated stocks , all they did for the so called mil SV-98 , was die it green & make it into a thumbhole type to make it look like a AI AW .

Seriously , as you will never see one , or ever see the civie base gun , move on .

I talked to the Russians about it in 2003 , when I was at the Izhmash factory , I feel If it was very cheap , then it would be like a budget AW , but its not really in the same league , more of a novelity in reality .

Later Chris

Send it to me. I'll shoot the shit out of it.....
wink.gif

Definitely a very interesting gun and would be a great companion piece to the Dragunov (once I get the long barrel for it
wink.gif
) so yeah, there IS an interest out there for it. It would certainly be a rare item to have in one's collection! Probably shoot well too, IF you could get a hold of some of that Russian EXTRA match ammo for it, or work up a good handload...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RDW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously? No one on here is shot or shot against a SV-98? WOW! </div></div>

You mean this,
sv98.jpg

I've been in the same Holiday Inn Express does that count?

This is the one too watch out for.

400px-Ksvk.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RDW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously? No one on here is shot or shot against a SV-98? WOW! </div></div>

You mean this,
sv98.jpg

I've been in the same Holiday Inn Express does that count?

</div></div>

That's a rendering of an older version. ;-) I will have some crappy photos and info up on here by the end of the weekend.

A little north of Tbilisi Georgia, or Baku Azerbaijan, is a patch of dirt known to a few, as the Fun Palace. They seem to field test lots of new stuff there, so I am told.

guys here is one civil version of SV-98 its the same , its sub moa rifle in cal .308 and russian 7,62x54R, and also .338 LM
the price will be ehm :)about 3500-4000 EUR :D,it has 3 locking lug bolt, serious sport trigger, its standard sniper rifle in russian army todays ...
26395_1365374688971_1069742659_1120763_411563_n.jpg

but there is also Tula made MCs-116M 2 locking lug bolt action sub moa rifle used by some OMON units and sport shooters
28696_1443806409715_1069742659_1326261_5113662_n.jpg

I shot this SVD and this PP-9 (as well as some other kit) in an underground range in Moscow in March of this year. The SVD was interesting: it had a two stage trigger and about a 5 pound trigger pull on the second stage. I could not really get a sense for its accuracy as I was limited to a 40 meter range. I also learned that I am not a fan of the rubber eye cup on the scope. I did not get a scope ring, but am sure I would have if I would have shot the thing prone.
DSCN0731.jpg

DSCN0730.jpg

DSCN0729.jpg

DSCN0727.jpg

DSCN0725.jpg

Actually the rubber eye cup on the PSO series of optics (which is what it was designed for) seems to work perfect for me. It gives you the perfect amount of eye relief. That Tiger that you were shooting is sporting some other optic in a side mount which could have required a different eye relief that would draw you in closer than normal.

Back to the SV-98....Vimple has a picture (taken at this year's IWA show I believe) and an extremely limited number of rifles are in country unfortunately for more than what he stated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RDW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Photos and info coming very soon.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Well, RDW we are still waiting on these pics.....

EDIT: Damn those Russians make some ugly shit...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RDW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EDIT: Damn those Russians make some ugly shit... </div></div>

Yes, but their weapons always seem to work.
Their fighting woman are some of the strangest mix, I've ever seen/known

Ok here are some specs on these:

Caliber: 7.62x54R

Factory Acceptable Accuracy Standards:

Extreme spread from three groups of four shots each at 100m is not to exceed 30mm
**Of the rifles that are here in country currently the average is 17.71mm at 100m shooting military grade ammo which is 30-40% less accurate than the best recommended ammunition (EXTRA)**Also note 1MOA at 100m = 29.08mm**

Deviation of mean point of impact from aiming point when firing from 100m is not to exceed 25mm

Adjustable butt plate length and height

Adjustable stock comb

Adjustable trigger pull 2.2 - 3.31 lbf

Adjustable trigger travel

10 round magazine

Barrel length = 650mm

Weight = 12.1 - 12.8 lbs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RDW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are coming...sorry...but the ones that were taken were too dark...need more light and a better camera. Should have something soon. </div></div>

Post those so we know your not bullshitting us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RDW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are coming...sorry...but the ones that were taken were too dark...need more light and a better camera. Should have something soon. </div></div>

Post those so we know your not bullshitting us.</div></div>

No BS...just seriously bad and dark photos. I promise I will post whatever comes out of our next photo attempt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RDW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
RDWSV-98.jpg
</div></div>
what level of precision? Hand loads or some sort of factory sniper/match ammo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
what level of precision? Hand loads or some sort of factory sniper/match ammo?</div></div>

**Of the rifles that are here in country currently the average is 17.71mm at 100m shooting military grade ammo which is 30-40% less accurate than the best recommended ammunition (EXTRA)**Also note 1MOA at 100m = 29.08mm**

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RDW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
what level of precision? Hand loads or some sort of factory sniper/match ammo?</div></div>

**Of the rifles that are here in country currently the average is 17.71mm at 100m shooting military grade ammo which is 30-40% less accurate than the best recommended ammunition (EXTRA)**Also note 1MOA at 100m = 29.08mm** </div></div>

where would I go and who would I contact to get such precision ammunition? How much does that ammunition cost?

Wolf actually used to import it. It uses a 200gr. bullet. You can still find it from time to time, but I don't think it sold too well here as most people shooting 54R didn't require such precision and people were freaked out to buy such expensive ammunition under the Wolf label. It was also brought in as "East German" ammo, but in reality it was Russian Extra made for the East Germans. It is still marked EXTRA on the East German boxes. We are working to import a small quantity of this currently as they actually make two flavors of EXTRA and we would like to get some of the supposed higher quality flavor, but in a quick google search I found that these guys have some of the Wolf Extra: Wolf Extra

"Eh I think the russian dragunov is the sexiest rifle ever. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

I thought it was in the eye of the 'Beer Holder'...

Looks nice , how about some close up shots of the bolt & magazine design ?

Cheers Chris

Price is high....but as of now there is POSSIBLY only one still available. Currently in country only in 54R but .308 will be available on the next order and eventually .338 LM too. My contacts in the factory say they are having a bit of a time with the .338LM and not to count on that for a bit. We'll see how it goes. They seem to make these in production runs when the Russian FSB and military need more. They have overruns or just add some to the run for civilian sales and remark those ones accordingly.

Quick update...and funny this came up the same day, but .338LM are available in an again VERY limited quantity with a delivery time frame of 6-7 months. R man's price is a couple of thousand low I think though...prices are more like $6-7k. I'm not sure what sort of taxes and fees the Canadians have, but I would expect there's to be in the $5500-6500 range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patches</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RDW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Photos and info coming very soon.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Well, RDW we are still waiting on these pics.....

EDIT: Damn those Russians make some ugly shit... </div></div>

Yea but they have some really hot women
laugh.gif

Waiting for bolt photos. Is there any update yet?

well, I'll say it looks interesting, it certainly isnt pretty. I would love to see how it shoots at distance. If your having a hard time getting the special ammo, why dont you just work up a load? It will probably shoot better than the "extra" anyway?

mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hi Bud ,

Look , just forget about that rifle , as it will never be available , so why even bother talking about it.

Any thing Mil made by the Russians is NOT available for export to civies .

This rifle is basically , a version of the civie Record CISM ( 10 shot rifle ) , that was meant to have been available to buy , but I have never even seen one outside the brochure .

Seriously , as you will never see one , or ever see the civie base gun , move on .
</div></div>
Sir:

Under the <span style="color: #3333FF">Voluntary Restraining Agreement</span> between the U.S.
and Russia certain enumerated models are importable.
The SV-98 nomenclatured as a Record should be permissible.
Similarly ... as done in some countries, imported rifles chambered for the 7.62x51 NATO
are marked as 308 Win. on the barrel for the purpose of the law ...
in-order to be civilian legal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: <span style="color: #993399">us_dragunov;3010029</span> </div><div class="ubbcode-body">... They simply mark them as RECORD rifles and give them all the civilian markings required by law and they don't do the final turning down of the barrel to accept their issue suppressor. All else is exactly the same....</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: <span style="color: #993399">aom22;3010607</span> </div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whether an authentic replica or not ... <span style="font-style: italic">fully</span> RU Mil-Spec ... semantics.
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Civilian Legal</span></span> is all that matters.</div></div>
Reference: BATF <span style="color: #FF6666">Additions to Annex A as of March 4, 2004</span> Items 45, 48 and 49.