• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Russian SV-98

Re: Russian SV-98

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mbandy13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, I'll say it looks interesting, it certainly isnt pretty. I would love to see how it shoots at distance. If your having a hard time getting the special ammo, why dont you just work up a load? It will probably shoot better than the "extra" anyway?

mike </div></div>

Mike, the problem is in finding the correct diameter match-grade bullets in the correct weight. Same issue with the Dragunov SVD; a lot of what gets bad-mouthed as as inaccurate weapon is the result of piss-poor ammo. Just like computers- garbage in; garbage out.

What I'D love to see is someone import a large batch of the EXTRA 200g bullets instead of the loaded cartridges, for those who reload to work with and see just what the real potential is on these.

Re: Red Dragun Weapons ... Website Up ... Construction

Just wondering if there were any reverse engineering of the AIAW? It looks awefully similar to the AWs.

Synthetic vs Laminated Stocks

A key element of the Accuracy International Series has been the <span style="font-style: italic">synthetic</span>/metallic <span style="color: #3333FF">AI Chassis System</span>
The SV-98/Record originated with a laminated stock.
However, a synthetic stocked version has, subsequently, been developed.

Why wood? Perhaps for the same reason Russian military ammunition is mildly corrosive - sub-arctic cold.
Extreme cold can play havoc with rifle primer consistency and polymer material fragility.
Wood laminates on the other hand require much less design consideration to resist the effects of extreme temperatures.

Moreover, the symmetrical three-lug bolt is nothing new to the Russians.
This type of bolt configuration can be traced decades back to <span style="color: #006600">VOSTOK (Ural)</span> rimfires.

Re: Synthetic vs Laminated Stocks

The Russians do make some ultra-reliable stuff. I think the PK series GPMG is hard to beat for that (and simplicity). Accuracy has always been so-so with their gear but ammo could have a lot to do with that. Anyway, what I want to know is, why the hell does the machining always look so bloody rough? And what is with that bloody stupid carry handle on that rifle?

Are the ruskies really using picatinny nowdays in their military rifles? Or just look-a-like with different dimensions?

Priest, agree on that MG. If I should pick one, it would be a PKM.
That monopod visible in many rifles sucks a** by the way, especially in 338 version. It just doesn't work at all. Ski would have been much better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the ruskies really using picatinny nowdays in their military rifles? Or just look-a-like with different dimensions?
</div></div>

Yes...also on their KS-K (Saiga-12 ver. 030) shotgun top cover.

I thought I have seen everything when red army choir was singing "Sweet home Alabama". Apparently I wasn´t.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought I have seen everything when red army choir was singing "Sweet home Alabama". Apparently I wasn´t.</div></div>

Or when U.S. military personnel marched in a Red Square parade.

I agree with those who think the Dragonov is the most beautiful rifle ever created , and to those who think the Russians make "Ugly stuff" , I'll bet you'd think it's even uglier ......from the wrong end , lookin . Like the line from the old rock & roll record . "Yeah , she ugly . But she sure can shoot ". ( Para-phrase)