• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Russia's Stealth Fighter

Re: Russia's Stealth Fighter

I always thought that the YF23 was the better of the two future fighters (YF22/YF23).

Supersonic cruise WITHOUT afterburner, stealthy, gorgeous, what's not to like?

But Northrop got the bomber didn't they?

Oh, and thank you for the gratuitous picture of the YF23!!!!

Neil

The YF-23 is here in Fairborn at the USAF Museum.
If I get a chance I'll go over and take a few photos of it and post them.
I love that museum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bra260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
OhioAstromech said:
Can't they come up with anything original?

It's much easier and cheaper to steal our info.
</div></div>

And sell it to our enemies

Paranoid much?

MiG-25
mig25.jpg

F-15
F15%20ocean.jpg

Aircraft designed at similar times and for similar missions generally end up with a similar profile, due to the requirements of the airframe. In any case, the Russians have had better aircraft than the US for decades, right up to the F-22 and JSF designs. The difference is in pilot training -- our aircraft perform better thanks to the driver.

Makes you wonder why the spend the time making a better or same lunchbox?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too bad they are 20+ years behind. </div></div>

The Soviets (er, excuse me, Russian Confederation) are no slouches.

As for imitation, it is not only the sincerest form of flattery, it can go some pretty decent way toward suggesting fruitful directions for development. Far from the first time, this imitation in aerospace applications may have superficial similarities, but a lot of what makes our ordnance effective can't be seen on the surface. While our core approaches to effective aircraft has been superficially different, the Russians have employed divergent concepts with considerable success.

We are not the only ones on the planet to have gotten the square peg/round hole challenge right. As the Russians themselves have said in the past, successful solutions to specific universal problems tend to look similar on the outside.

From the TU-144 to the Buran Shuttle, getting it looking similar on the outside is no guarantee that the damned thing actually works in the end.

However, when Sukhoi is involved, things tend to be pretty nifty.

Greg