• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rust……

PinesAndProjectiles

Formerly MinnesotaMulisha
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    I keep my reloading gear, firearms, etc. all in my basement.

I run a dehumidifier during all the spring months, through fall until the humidity drops in the winter time.

My firearms don’t rust, but all of my dies are starting to get little patches of surface rust on them.

I’ve purchased the little pouches of desiccant (similar to what’s in a bag of beef jerky) and put a few in each die box, but I still get the oxidation.

Will coating my dies with a light coat of oil fix this?

Are there any other remedies that will work?

Everything still works as it should but it’s annoying as hell.

"Will coating my dies with a light coat of oil fix this?"

Yes. WD40 works better than most IME. Just have to recheck them like every 6 months or so to renew the WD40.

I spray them down and set them on a rag or paper towel and the excess drains off. Many times I'll just wrap them in the same paper towel and put them in the box wrapped up. Also I have used a piece of VCI (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor) paper to wrap them in when I had some available. Check them periodically to make sure they're still ok and renew the WD40, like every 6 months or so. Works well here in the subtropical jungles of Louisiana.

ETA: Just wipe them out good before use and re-treat when storing.

This LPS 3 works great for heavy humidity. It is thick so you will have to clean the inside of the die before use.
    For a lighter spray LPS 1 or LPS 2 but I would still clean the inside of the die before use.