• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rust in the chamber?

garrett1107

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2008
State College, PA
So this past weekend i was making sure my sps-v .308 was zeroed before deer season. I found that the first round was hard to push in the chamber. I took the shell out, cycled the bolt, and chambered the round again and it chambered, but was difficult. I fired the round and confirmed zero, but the rounds after wouldnt chamber and cycle. They would stick with the bolt fully forward, and fully up. I tried about 3 more times, using different rounds, in an attempt to see if it was my handloads not being sized right. The bolt stuck each time and had to be hit with a hammer to get the round out

After taking a closer look, i noticed that the chamber had a nice coating of rust. I cleaned it well with a copper brush and it is now rust free and roudns cycle freely. Is this enough to prevent further rust, and should i be concerned about a bad chamber? The rifle is only a year old with about 350 rounds down the tube.

Re: Rust in the chamber?

Thats the thing, it has never gone more than a month without cleaning.. It is also kept in a safe w/ a dri-rod. I wouldnt expect a rifle to rust that easy, none of my other guns do?

G1107

I haven't noticed anything on the bolt, but bluing on my SPS is very vulnerable to rust...BIGTIME...That's one of the reasons I painted it.

-Pat

I clean my chamber every two weeks if I shoot them or not.I dont chmabers are treated with anything so idk. When your done shooting put a light coat of oil in you chamber. Maybe that'll help.

scott

The barrel and bolt on the SPS are matte finished, with no bluing or anything. That is why they rust so easily. Mine is all krylon, maybe i should try some in the chamber ? HA!

I will tend to it more often now that i know this is not a rare occurance.