• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rust on chrome bolt carrier group.

bamacaller

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
Alabama
I have a RRA Predator Pursuit and cleaned everything up one night, put a light coat of oil on the main parts on the bcg. Was planning to shoot it the next day so I didn't just soak it. Well the next day I took it apart to make sure everything looked good and there was rust on it. Not a bunch and not all over it but still it wasn't something I really wanted to see. I used M-PRO 7 cleaner and oil. I also sprayed a little Remington dry lube on it. So I am stumped. I shot it that day with no ill effects, and was just curious if this could cause any future problems or if anyone else has had that problem. I did try to rub it off with oil but it didn't come off.

Thanks for any input.

Re: Rust on chrome bolt carrier group.

Light surface rust won't cause any longterm problems. The fact that it wouldn't rub off makes me think either it wasn't just surface rust or it was something entirely different. Maybe a chemical reaction to the finish on the metal. Shoot more worry less.

wiped it off and like said above, shoot more worry less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wiped it off and like said above, shoot more worry less. </div></div>

I would have phrased it "rub it off and shoot."

The solvent in the dry lube possibly removed whatever oil was there.

Why are you using dry lube? Not really necessary unless you're in sub-zero temps.

Put some Mobil 1 on the BCG and have at it.

Thanks for the input. I guess I'm just OCD about my guns and worry way to much about stuff. strat81 I don't regularly use the dry lube it was just laying on the bench so I grabbed it and sprayed a little but that is very possible,won't try that anymore. So I guess I'll just give er heck. Thanks.