• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rust removal from dies.

Re: Rust removal from dies.

Is the surface rust inside the die or just on the outside?
I wipe mine down with some Kroil once in a while to keep the surface rust down.
Once every six months to a year I clean out the inside with a bore mop, electric drill and Flitz.

Exterior WD40 and a wire brush.
Enterior Chuck an old rod or dowel in a drill. Wrap a few layers of paper towel on the other end. Overlap a piece of 600 grit sandpaper about 2"x2". Oil it and polish the enterior of the die. Follow with 1000 grit, then the rod wrapped with polishing compound doused cloth. Oil it too. Your sizing die will run smoother.

Keep a coating of light oil on your dies to prevent rust/oxidization. We have this tendency to clean our dies before use, but never reapply a protective coat of oil to the dies. Funny how we can be anal about lubricating firearms and overlook the reloading dies.

Tumble mine in SS media. Have to cover the gas vents and wipe down with oil when done.