• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

paperslapper

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2012
That four letter word that every one dreads! Guys I have a brand new remmy 700 sps v .308. I have shot the rifle a few times, I would say close to once every weekend or every two weekends. I'm seeing rust on it where i touch it so i know its from the oils on my hands. After I noticed it I immediately drenched and scrubbed it with remoil and patches. that solved most of the problem. I just looked at it tonight and saw more rust on the bolt handle. So i took it out and scrubbed it again but paying more attention to the bolt handle so i sprayed it down real good with remoil and let it sit for about five minutes then wiped it down then sprayed a light coat over the handle. I'm on the forum because after scubbing the handle there is still a little bit of a brown haze on the bolt handle. I would like to know what i can do to get this off. I was thinking about using the super fine steel wool but i think that would take the coating right off but I don't know. thanks to anyone who replies!!

Re: RUST!!!

the factory coating is shit. Its gonna happen. I'd hit it with some 000 steel wool and oil.....then possibly flat black spray paint or cerakote

Thanks for the quick reply... I would love to have the entire rifle cerakoted but I'm concerened it would be quite an expensive job.

You are right. It will cost around 2 bills or better but if you have that effect on metal it will be well worth the coin. Cerakote it and forget about it. In the mean time washing your hands before you handle your gun may help.

OK, you guys jump on that one.

I have poison hands, and everything I touch rusts. My Remington had been steel wooled a bunch of times, so I just plugged the bore with rubber stoppers, bead blasted, and parked it real good. That helped a lot.

The OEM finish WILL get buggered up by steel wool. Won't hurt anything, but will certainly change it.

Dude, it's a Remington SPS. Don't worry about it, or shoot it with some Rustoleum or ZeroRust.

In my experience Remoil is not a geat rust inhibitor. It is more of a dry teflon lubricant suspended in a fluid aerosol. It dried out quickly and the teflon remains and lubricates, but does little for the rust. Try an oil based rust inhibitor on the outside of the rifle and see if that doesn't help. But cerakote would certainly end the issue once and for all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J York</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my experience Remoil is not a geat rust inhibitor.</div></div>

This has been my experience as well. It's just too light of an oil to prevent rust.

I use some FP10 as a rust preventative, but any medium-weight oil will work OK for storage just so long as the weapon is wiped clean of any residue prior to being put away. If you really want to get serious, you can wipe it down with a dedicated rust preventative prior to storage; I use PB Blaster Corrosion Stop on my lathe and mill (both of which sit in a non-climate-controlled shop, so they are exposed to condensation when the temperature changes).

Cerakote would be nice but I really don't know how much it would end up costing me... Deadly0311 I am located in southeast wisconsin... I have heard and seen what eezox can do and I think ill order some. Currently my issue is with the light brown haze I see from the rust that I would like to remove I have thought that a toothbrush and some wd 40 might work or atleast help.

Living under 10mi from the beach in socal without a safe my rifles get murdered by rust if I miss anything. What I did when I had the same problem was to lather it in froglube, let it sit next to a heating dish for a while to help the lube penetrate it, then lightly scrub it with fine steel wool, then finally rub it all down with a silicone laced microfiber cloth. Works alright, and I wash my hands before handling and rub with the silicone cloth after.

You could do the quick and easy duracoat kit from midway. 29 bucks and a small amount of time and you're done!! I did my 1911 and its held up well for 29 bucks!

Man, you must have some toxic sweat! I would have some RemOil sprayed on my fingers before I worked the bolt.

For my guys that aren't carrying stainless or Glocks, we have had really good luck with some stuff called Bullfrog. It has a funky smell to it, kinda like old army surplus store, but it seems to work really well.

I wipedown with Ballistol and dont have many rust problems. Give it a try.

I'm the same way. I can touch a piece of plastic and it will rust. I use Strike-Hold and have had good luck with it. Kroil and Balistol work great also.

I'm using Break Free CLP to whipe down steel parts. Ive always had great results with it.
My Rem 700 VS in .308 has a factory blue finish on it, some spots are worn to the bare white.
I recently took it out to fondle with it, touching it just about on every external surface, and put the gun back in the closet (no case or anything). Almost a month later I go in the closet to pack up a few things and the gun has no rust on it.

Thanks guys for all the helpful info. I will buy some shooting gloves and this will help with my sweat of death and I'll try some different rust inhibitors. Most important of all is I will cerakote the rifle once I get some cash.

I have put parts that had some surface rust on them (they were in the white) and submerged them in Mobil one engine oil and left them in for several months. Pulled them out and ALL the rust was gone. No signs whatsoever that it even had any. Not sure about a short term soak. I like Kroil as a preservative.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the factory coating is shit. Its gonna happen. I'd hit it with some 000 steel wool and oil.....then possibly flat black spray paint or cerakote </div></div>

Great advice. I personally would go Duracoat - but the same thing/idea basically.

Is this common on remmys?

I bought some stuff at Menards based on it description in the store. It is a rust remover that is biodegrable and reuseable. It is clear and the more you use it the darker it gets and the slower it works. I bought a gallon of it and soaked some parts in tupperware containers and it did a great job, everything that was rusty turned white. Works great for small stuff but would be tought to use on a barrel or something large. This stuff removes the rust and only the rust. I'll get the brand name when I get home from work. I have had good luck with Eesox, Ballistol and Amsoil as rust preventatives.

CMS

CMS, This stuff you used did not take the finish off correct? If not than this would be the type of product I am looking for.

All it is supposed to do is remove rust and only rust. I will try it on some rusty blued M3 mags I have this weekend and let you know how it does.

I am in the metal finishing business we use a product called rust release. It looks simular to the metal rescue product, fyi works great ( non Haz puts iron into solution)

But it removes all blueing, which is not a bad thing it thats what you want.

Well I put a couple of Ruger Mark 3 magazines in for a soak of over 24 hrs just to make sure it didn't do anything to the bluing. The problem is it didn't do anything to the bluing OR the rust, it removed some rust but not all of it. I put a very rusty tool in this stuff before and all the rust was GONE in about 6hrs. I cleaned the mags with a water based degreaser and then rinsed them off, I thought they were completely dry. I'm gonna let them dry overnight, spray them down with brake clean and then soak them again to see what that does.