• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rustoleum instead of Krylon

tackleberry2000

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2011
Montana
Any one have any experience with using Rustolium instead of Krylon to paint there rifles? I found their camo paint selection at the Wal-Mart tonight and picked up a couple cans. Thought I'd get some feed back before spraying the gun.

Last edited:
Yep. It's spray paint, couldn't tell you which colors on which guns are which brand, but some was Rustoleum, it applies easy and wears off with just a little more effort than it took to put on.

Sorry to experience on a gun but I've tried several different paints on steel and I find rustolium works the best by far. hope that helps

I was hoping Rustoleim would be a good choice. Worth a shot. Works good on ammo cans and metal that's outside all the time so I'll give it a shot. Clear coat options would be good if any one has one. Preferably a good matte to cut the glare.

I've used Rustoleum's "paint for plastic" on several stocks. With good surface prep, it's actually quite durable.

In other hobbies, when I clear coat, I use 2 part urethane car paint.

Very chemical resistant and durable.

I use it on my working rifles. It scratches easily, but it's so cheap you just give it another squirt every now and then. It's a very flat non reflective paint. Even a flat clear coat will provide some reflectivity, so I don't use any.

With just a little use, your rifle will look like you actually use it, not like all these perfectly painted cerakote and duracoat ghey safe queens........

using a fair number of paints in other hobbies (too many) rustoleum has sometimes not given the best results.
Valspar has done quite well, used it to repaint an old Lathe.
Also Duplicolor paints from autoparts store. Duplicolor gave a real nice surface and shine....lol, not exactly what ine might want for a hunting gun. Model rockets, yes. :)

Yep, I use rustoleum on my guns to camo them. I didn't like how krylon would get that sticky feel if you got any oil, etc on it. Rustoleum doesn't seem to suffer that same problem. I will agree with those above though in that it can chip easily if you don't prep well. Only thing I do for prep is thoroughly de-grease whatever I'm painting and make sure it's dry.

Definitely Alcohol for prep and use rubber gloves when doing it as to not put new grease on. Rustoleum works great I personally think its a little more durable than standard krylon but they both will get worn and achieve the desired effect. Though I will say the green is a little brighter than I was expecting! (not enough to worry about just not like the lid)

The Rustoleum Textured Paint for Plastic works well if you are looking for a little grip to the surface. I've usually ruffed up the plastic with 100 grit sandpaper before painting.

Just doing the Barreled action. My stock is tan with black webbing and was just planning on doing the metal. Thinking of the scope too but not sure if the spray will get thru the Leupold Alumina covers on it. I have the 3M painters masking tape to cover the markings just worried about the lenses.

Another option

Not to hijack a thread here, but another option is the model airplane paints made for RC aircraft. I tried some a number of years ago and they worked very well. I did let it harden for a couple of weeks.

I used the stuff that was supposed to be able to take RC plane fuel without a problem and it took gun cleaning solvents very well.

What I liked most about it is the large variety of colors.

Brad

Interesting JB. Wouldn't have thought of r/c paint. I'm kinda wanting to try it to figure out what I like and the shoot it with Duracoat.

i got an old set of green fal furniture a few years ago. it was all kinda scratched and dinged up and just generally ugly. i cleaned everything with purple stuff, sanded out the bad dings, and lightly sandblasted everything, and used the rustoleum "camo" o.d. green, and it looked great, and held up pretty good.

I have used Rustoleum with good success and I coat with a flat clear coat about four or five coats. Let it dry a couple of weeks.
I agree I don't mind some scuffing and if it gets too bad you can sponge on some more paint. I hate new equipment that looks like I just came from the store with it.

You might want to try using Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter on the bare metal before spraying your paint. I've had good success with that product. You can pick it up at most auto parts stores.

if you end up doing your scope too, stuff the openings with cotton balls whatever gets through your tape/caps will get absorbed before it gets to glass

Funny thing about mentioning RC plane paints.

I also fly RC planes and helicopters.

In that hobby, we use Rustoleum a good bit, as it is fuel resistant. :)

Model airplane fuel is methanol, nitromethane and oil (mainly synthetic these days). Nitromethane is pretty agressive.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Think I'm gonna throw some paint this weekend. Will post pics when I'm done. Weather and work permitting.

I just did an AR last night and the only thing different I notice was the way it comes out of the cans. Rustoleum has a different type of nozzle and seems to spray in more of a cone where the Krylon sprays flatter and in a vertical pattern. Both worked great!!