• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RWS 6.5 Creedmoor Build

earthquake

Area Man
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    The time has finally come for me to get my 6.5 Creedmoor done. I started last summer when I picked up the Bartlein blank from a Hide member. I then got the chassis off another member and had the parts for the final build. I had contacted a few 'smiths from here, and Robert was the only one to reply. I want to thank him for a great build, I couldn't be happier with the finished product and his great and prompt customer service. I also want to thank Mile High Shooting for a painless FFL transfer. The staff stayed an hour after closing for the CBI to clear. Your dedication to your customers is second to none! Hopefully I'll be back there in a couple weeks to pick up my can!

Enough talk, here are the pictures. I hope to head to the range asap.

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

Last edited:
    Spec's:
    McRees chassis in Coyote tan
    Bartlein M40 SS 1:8.5 twist, 24" 6.5 Creedmoor
    RWS/Defiance Rebel Action
    Spuhr one-piece 30mm mount cerakoted Coyote tan
    SAS brake (TOMB)
    Timney 510 trigger at 2.0 lbs.
    Harris BRMS bipod with podloc
    SWFA 5-20 x50mm HD FFP scope
    AICS mags

Will be starting off with factory Hornady 120 and 140 gr AMAX.

VERY Nice! That spur mount is looking good up there! For future reference would you happen to know the size/height? -Perfect fit for the SWFA. As a fellow 6.5cm/swfa 5-20 owner, I'd have to say we have very similar taste. Can't beat the quality of that SWFA HD glass for the price, IMO. I'm new to the 6.5cm, but after a couple hundred rounds so far, I'd have to say I LOVE it! I've been shooting the factory 120's and 140 A-max's and I've been happy to find my dope is pretty much the same for each round out to at least 550yds so far. That makes life easier. Here's mine (I went with 25" barrel, and the bolt is on the wrong side! haha...):

crop_zps376374cb.jpg

Enjoy the new rifle! After you have a chance to get to the range, I'd love to compare some drop numbers since we're both at altitude...

regards,

ScottyD

Thanks. I'll check on the exact model Spuhr (with regard to height) I purchased this evening and let you know. I've only ever shot .308, so it'll be fun/interesting to get range/trigger time with a 6.5mm.
    Do you shoot the LRPR matches at CRC each month? I've shot a couple last year with my .308 and am looking forward to the next with this rifle.

I've made it to 3 CRC matches so far -always a great time (big thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Quickdraw)! I've only shot the match with 69g smk's in my .223 Rem700 so far. I can't wait to shoot a match with the new 6.5! It was killing me that the match got weathered out last weekend! SApenguin and I hit the CRC 1000yd range a few weeks ago to get dialed in, and I was holding about half of what he was for wind with his .308. So far it looks like the 6.5 is going to be A LOT more forgiving with my wind-call mistakes! I tested the 140's and 120's specifically at the CRC match ranges. I was happy to find that if I run out of 140's, it looks like the 120's are holding the same POI -at CRC match distances anyway. Sounds like we'll probably cross paths at a match one of these days. I'm hooked and I plan on hitting every CRC match that my work schedule will allow. I'll look forward to seeing you out there. Your new rifle should be easy to spot on the line!

Regards,

ScottyD

Cool. Looking forward to getting out there again too. My Spuhr is the SP-3001 with 30mm ring height, so says the box. Plenty of height for a 50mm objective on a 20MOA base with a heavy barrel.

Nice looking rifle!

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Thanks Frank! I'm heading out in a couple days to shoot this thing finally. How would you suggest I break-in my barrel? I've heard every way under the sun, to even don't do it. Just want to make sure I don't screw this thing up. Thanks.

Great looking rifle!

What butt-stock bag are you using? How do you like it so far?

I'm interested to see what kind of 6.5 creed velocities you get out of that M40 24" barrel so please report back and let us know.

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!! Love the Tan/BLK Color Combo! RWS is Very Good with Customer Service and Response time Indeed!

Great looking rifle!

What butt-stock bag are you using? How do you like it so far?

I'm interested to see what kind of 6.5 creed velocities you get out of that M40 24" barrel so please report back and let us know.

It's the stock pack from McRees Precision. Sold on their site. I'm heading to the range tomorrow...steel out to 1,000+ yards. Should be a fun day. Will report back later this week on results.

Both rigs are nice. Looks like top notch work. Would love to see some 500-600 yard groups and such.

...I'm interested to see what kind of 6.5 creed velocities you get out of that M40 24" barrel...

With the 140 Amax factory, I was averaging 2,850 fps.

With the 120 Amax factory, i was averaging 2,970 fps.