• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

S.A.C. Rem 700 AICS 308 Build!

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Shooters, I just finished up another build this week and wanted to share some pictures.

The rifle started off with a Blueprinted Remington 700 supplied by Short Action Customs. The bolt has a Tactical Bolt Knob conversion and had also been trued, Sako extractor installed and American Precision Arms recoil lug. The barrel is a 1-11.25 Krieger Heavy Palma finished at 22" and threaded 5/8 x 24. I cut a relief on the back of the installed YHM phantom QD suppressor mount so the customer can use a standard 3/4 " wrench that is not shaved to remove the QD mount if necessary.

The barreled action was finished with Sniper Grey by Cerakote, then placed in the AICS. The stress test of the action to stock relationship was checked and the stock was inducing a severe amount of stress on the action, so the AICS was skim bedded and is now stress free.

After the work was done a quick test firing with my hand load for my rifle and 2 different factory loads were tested. The Federal GMM shot the best at around .75" 3 shot group at 300 yards. I wanted to fire the Corbon Performance Match again to see if it would group better, but I did not have the time or extra ammo.

This rifle will be a shooter!

Mark

IMG_0053Large.jpg

IMG_0055Large.jpg

IMG_0057Large.jpg

IMG_0058Large.jpg

IMG_0062Large.jpg

IMG_0066Large.jpg

IMG_0067Large.jpg

IMG_0072Large.jpg

IMG_0077Large.jpg

IMG00337-20100616-2122Large.jpg

Re: S.A.C. Rem 700 AICS 308 Build!

That rifle looks very good. The only thing is i dont recall hearing that a AICS stock would cause stress on the action nor would it need to be skim bedded. It was my understanding the AICS was meant to drop in so the user can torque it down and your good to go. Also how did you do your stress test to find out if the stock was causing a issue?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That rifle looks very good. The only thing is i dont recall hearing that a AICS stock would cause stress on the action nor would it need to be skim bedded. It was my understanding the AICS was meant to drop in so the user can torque it down and your good to go. Also how did you do your stress test to find out if the stock was causing a issue? </div></div>

Its a case by case basis. This one was definitely putting stress on the action. In a perfect world the "drop in" chassis systems are the perfect answer, but just about everyone I have used or owned needed to be bedded.

I torqued down both action screws and placed a dial indicator on the top of the action. If the action is not being stressed by the stock then when I loosen the front action screw the action should not move. But when I loosened the front action screw on this one it rose up almost .100" So that means that when the action is torqued down in the stock the action has to flex in order to fit the stock.

My practices and techniques are in the best mind of the customer. I never "up sell" services that they do not need, this one definitely benefited from skim bedding.

Mark

Good work Mark. You are turning out some serious work!

This makes me very impatient to get my action Mark. I can't wait to send it in to have work done to it. Looks good man.

Holy Cow that's a thick recoil lug. Did you have to open up some area in the AICS stock to fit it in or did it just drop in?

Yeah that's my rifle and I love it but now I need to find someone in central Virginia with reloading equipment to match it with a bullet. But yes, my hat goes off to Mark for making a rifle that shoots far beyond my expectations. And the cut that allows me to get the QD off with a standard wrench was icing on the cake! Thanks again Mark!

Great looking rifle I cant wait to get mine back from you and if it shoots like that with factory stuff, I cant wait to start reloading for mine. As a matter of fact i just finished sizing some brass.

Matt

Grim- yeah it is a thick recoil lug and yes he had to mil out enough space to fit it. This may hurt re-sale value for the stock but Mark is a good buddy of mine and that rifle holds more than monetary value for me, thus it will never be sold or altered by anyone other than Mark.