• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S*B 10x42 PMII

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
I have kinda been lusting over these for a few days lately, but honestly there doesn't seem to be any good information on them.

One source I read claimed the parallax was fixed at 300 yards, a blog claimed it was adjustable with a side knob, but the photos of the scope only show two knobs.

The midway listing for the scope claims: "Illuminated models feature a separate turret for adjusting." But they are the only ones that mention the possibility of illuminated models.

And of course the S*B website is less than helpful... =(

Lastly, does anyone know how the swfa 10x hd stacks up against the S*B?

(All PMII models without parallax adjustment are preset at the Schmidt & Bender
factory to be parallax-free at 300m unless a different distance is specified.
PMII models with parallax adjustment turret are equipped with a third turret (see
picture 15) opposite the windage turret. With this turret the shooter can easily
focus targets at any distance without having to interrupt the target acquisition.)

This is from the manual on Euro Optic's website. Also the SWFA 10x does not amount to a pimple on the ass of the guy that built it compared to the S&B.

So I wonder if that means you can order them with parallax adjustment, or they are just saying that if its got three knobs its parallax adjustable (other models), and if its got two knobs (this model), then it aint.

Like I said, my only confusion is because some writeups have conflicting information.

I'm sorry I should have been more specific.. The S&B 10x does not have an adjustable parralax. These are great scopes I do not think it could possibly disappoint if a fixed 10x will fulfill your requirements.

Would the glass be better in the fixed then the variable?

Would the glass be better in the fixed then the variable?
Fixed scopes have fewer lenses to look through so you could say they have more clarity or look "better", but really, we're talking about Schmidt and Bender... All the glass is premium.

Fixed scopes have the advantage of fewer moving parts, the appearance of being brighter at times, lower cost and lighter weight, but that's where the advantages cease.

I have an illogical love of the simplicity for a fixed power scope. Someday I hope to find a 10x42 by a top shelf company, like S*B, with illumination.

Oh I hear you there, 10x are about as simple and versatile as it gets, especially for hunting medium to large game in open areas. For me though it's very hindering to use inside 100yds or beyond 800yds. Doable on both ends, but there's far better options for my purposes in both work and leisure. The M40A1 is my old best friend, but I find myself grabbing the rifle with the 3-12x50 S&B more often than not.

riflestest011.jpg

I have three of them......never had any issues with them. They've been used hard.

Ok, I am going to pull the ignorant card here and ask more about the parallax setting.

How would a 300 yard preset parallax be if you were shooting 100 yards, or if you were shooting 600 yards? Cheek weld becomes more important at these ranges? Or is it not enough variation to matter?

Can be a little critical at 100.....non issue past that distance.

If you do most of your shooting at 100, I would get something else.

I have a few clear shooting lanes on my land (a lot of trees and hills limit my shots), I would say 80% of my shooting is between 100 and 200, I can reach out to 600 shooting hilltop to hilltop, but most of the time its 5 shots out the door to the shorter distance targets before work. =)

I doubt parallax will be an issue for you- especially hunting. Here's a 3 shot group at 100 meters with parallax fixed at 300.

These are great scopes.

If you don't believe me, believe psinclair (enabler though he is....grin)!

I ended up buying the cheap swfa 10x, if I am still in love with a fixed 10x (and I am certain that I will, because I love my fixed 6x), I may start saving for a S*B.