• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B 12-50x FFP vs 5-25x - downsides (other than obvious) of ultra mag scope?

hkfan45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2013
I am thinking about picking up a high powered scope for a 6xc that will be shot from 100-600 yards. I am a sucker for magnification (I have a NF 12-42 NXS) and will be shooting mostly groups (no steel or tactical comps at my range). Every thread seems to discourage people from buying ultra high powered variable scopes because the FOV will be too small and "you'll never need more than 20x..." However, it is my experience that every single person (including myself) I shoot with or see at the range using lower powered scopes exclusively uses max power (i.e. 15-20x). The FOV for the S&B 12-50x at 100 yards is roughly 14 feet, which is much better than my NF. I can't imagine ever using a mag less than 12x, so does it make sense at all to pick up a 5-25x? The S&B 12-50x has 75 MOA of elevation, so this will be no issue at 600 yards. What do I really gain from going with the 5-25x? Can anyone chime in on their experiences with the 12-50x FFP, or why they prefer to use the 5-25x?

Last edited:
Try and remember that the threads you're reading that discourage the high mag scopes are usually discouraged by people that compete and have been competing for a long time. Usually the reason we head their advise. That being said within those threads you'll find they also say everyone is different and each purpose is different. In your case you've answered your own question as to what suits your needs. As for myself I have a March 5-40 FX and at 1000 yards I always find myself at around 20x finding it to be the "sweet" spot of my scope with the best clarity/contrast, least distortion(CA), no mirage...etc. My humble opinion would be take everyones advise with a grain of salt and make your own decision. The worst thing you can end up with is a Schmidt and Bender :)

Last edited:
If you're just shooting paper at the range, then go for the 12-50... but perhaps chat with the Benchrest guys at your range for their recommendations.
The 5-25 has a wider field of use, especially for transitioning between targets.

It's all down to application, and you sound like you know what you want to use it for... and the 12-50 works for that.

The 12-50x scope has a FOV at 12x of 13.5 feet, whereas the FOV for the 5-25x at 5x is 17.8 feet. Is there really a big difference in FOV between 13.5 and 17.5 feet?

If you have ever shot a practical long range shooting competition, you'll quickly find out that having too high a low end magnification makes it very hard to find to find the next target.
It's also why bird watchers prefer a 8x magnification over a 10x.

I would try to get some time behind a March scope, either A first plane FX 5 - 40 or second plane X 8 -80. I
I shoot with an 8-80 several days every week . Ringing steel is fine at 20 but groups are smaller for
me at high mag. I load test on 40 x at 100m. ( always bipod and bag only )
My S & B didn't like to get hot in the sun and shifted poi. The 8 -80 March is rocksteady from 5 celcius to
40 plus; I plan to buy an F X 5- 40 soon.
Put a few rounds through a guys TRG yesterday with a 12 42 on top, you will be pleasantly surprised if you
have opportunity to send a few while using a March. For range only use a Nightforce competition 55 x might
be worth a look .

Last edited:
I mostly shoot long range, that being from 400-1000 yards. I thought that my (2) S&B 12-50 FFP performed very well for me. While the scopes are big physically it didn't matter at the bench. Everything was great.........right up until I looked through the new NF 15-55 Competition scope. For my eyes there was a very noticeable improvement in the NF. I have since sold the S&B's & have replaced them with the NF Competitions. I find that with the NF Comp. I can leave my spotting scope at home.
Semper Fi