• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes S&B 2.5-10x56 best moonlight pig hunting scope?

DarinR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2007
Haysville, Kansas
Is there a scope that would provide better low light performance at night under a full or partial moon? The idea is to hunt wild boar at night from 100-400 yards with a normal scope (no night vision setup). This S&B scope looks like it might have the best light gathering.

Any better scopes?

Does this scenario for hunting in full/partial moonlight at night seem doable? I was in a Texas wheat field along the river 3 weeks ago that got me thinking. We saw one boar about 400 yards away through a ModArmory PVS-14 but we're unsuccessful in getting close enough for a shot with a Nightforce 5.5-22x50. Would the S&B provide a noticeable improvement in light gathering at 1:00 am? Enough improvement to make a shot?

Thanks,
Darin

my nightforce sucks at low light. I would say the Zeiss Victory Divari 6-24x72mm would be you absolute best bet to see under full moon. I dont know much about the SB but ive heard the glass is second to none. Swarovski z6 series may be another option as well. hope this helps

The pig should be honored to be shot with a $3000.00 scope .I'm thinking the Zeiss victory HT might work well in low light .

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to look through both a Nightforce and a S&B at 11 oclock one night. I cant remember what the moon was but it was pretty bloody dark. The difference between the two were like night and day. The clarity of the S&B is just something that you have to see to believe. We were looking at a fence around 170 yards. Through the S&B I could see the shadow from the steel post on the ground .The Nightforce was not so good. Now I know why they come with such a hefty price tag.

I'm not an experienced nighttime hunter, but I would venture a guess that it will be tuff to see much even with the best lowlight scopes on anything but a full moon. Deticated night vision would certainly seem to trump even high end low light scopes. A good illumination system for the reticle is a must.

The S&B is surely at the top of the pack in lowlight, but I don't think it's considered the ultimate champ.
I see Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56 mentioned by several as the current champ, but I'm sure it splitting hairs. I see Kahles, Meopta Meostar, and Swaro Z5/6 mentioned, and I'm sure the S&B is right there with them all of them.

The Trijicon 2.5-10x56 is mentioned in high regard by the low light crowd for its tritium illumination system and fairly good performance for substantially cheaper than the High end Euros.

Everyone,

Thanks for your input! I believe the only time I have looked through an S&B at night was when I was buying some stuff from George Gardner back in 1999 or 2000 when he was in the back of Denny's gun store. That was a few years ago and I remember the scope having excellent light gathering but at the time I was used to Leupold VIII scopes and nothing else and we had no other scopes handy to compare it to.

I would appreciate any other input.

Thanks,
Darin

The S&B would be an excellent scope for that purpose, there's none better really. Night hunting for boar in Europe is what they were designed for. The zeiss 3-12x56 and Swarovski 56mm models might equal it, but not better it that's for sure. The meopta 3-12x56 is another great scope for about half to a third the price of the others and gives up very little if anything to the more expensive scopes. If you're going with a non-illuminated reticle model then go for a heavy reticle like the german #4, I think S&B calls their version a #7 or something like that. An illuminated reticle is nice if you want to go that route but is not required, a fat non-illuminated reticle is easy enough to see with decent moonlight. Night vision equipment is a different ballgame and is going to be better than a natural vision scope.

Night hunting with a full or partial moon is very doable with this scope. You don't actually need a full moon, a half moon will suffice. You have to time your hunt so the moon is reasonably high in the sky so the shadows aren't blocking you. The scope must be paired with a set of good binoculars or you're wasting your time, the binos are a necessity at night for acquisition, unaided vision won't cut it. Forget shooting 400 yds though, I'd say 200 would be tops at night and 150 or less is much better. Night hunting is a short range proposition, your eyes work differently at night and too much detail is lost at longer ranges for a 400 yd shot. You can't really look through these scopes in a store and tell which will be better, you need to let your eyes adjust to the darkness for about 30 minutes before you get a real idea of what you can see at night. You night vision doesn't really "come alive" until you've been in the dark for about 30 minutes. Go outside on a moonlit night and sit in a dark area for a while, don't turn on a flashlight or anything. After about 30 minutes you'll notice that everything seems brighter and your vision is much enhanced, it's almost like someone turned up the moonlight and the stars got brighter. That's when the "cones" in your eye that are responsible for daylight vision have shut down and the "rods" that are responsible for night vision have taken over. We never really get to use this unaided night vision because most people never go outside and shut out all the light for the amount of time it takes to get our eyes adjusted to it. Most people only go outside at night with a flashlight or some other artificial light, or they only spend a few minutes in the dark, not enough time to get their night vision up to speed. Put a pair of good binos to your eyes (40mm objective minimum) and you'll be amazed what you can see without any artificial light. You'll have no problem making a good shot on hogs at a reasonable distance with that scope at night as long as you have a decent amount of moonlight and it isn't cloudy.

Last edited:
Everyone, thanks for your input. I have a lot of booths to stop at next month at SHOT and visit.

It appears that with good moonlight high in the sky, shots to 150 yards are reasonable. Beyond that distance or in lower to no moonlight, NV is required.

Thanks,
Darin

I wouldn't mind looking through a few of the scopes mentioned during low light for early morning/last light hunting. My wallet probably wouldn't like it too much though.

First I must say I have been hunting in low light or no light for years.I have tried just about everything out there
But this is what I have kept and am currently using
3-12x56 Zeiss
2.5-10x56 S&B
6-24X72 Zeiss
3-12x56 Hensoldt SSG-P
8x56 Zeiss RF Binos
D-760 NV
Raptor 4x NV
If you want the BEST for low light without NV the 72 cant be beat
but it is big and heavy.With this scope you can dial up the mag to extend your range at night.

This might be a dumb question but why don't you use spotlights?

I am fairly new to hog hunting. Done it several times in the last ten years but just started night hunting this year. Brought down a ModArmory PVS-14 on a helmet mount and it worked awesome. Could see hogs, deer and cows over half a mile away with excellent moonlight. Had an IR pointer on a 9" 300 AAC Blackout. This was great for up close but when hogs were 200-400 yards or farther away we had trouble getting up close to them. Spot lights, clip on night vision and excellent glass scopes were discussed as ways to accomplish long shots.

I still have much to learn but having fun doing it. Need to down to Texas more often.

Thanks,
Darin

I'm not very experienced with it either but my state allows coyote night hunting with spotlights and it seems very effective using a light to take night shots. I have a 17HMR with a cheap scope I haven't upgraded yet and can make night shots over 100 yards away with it and spotlight. I can't even remember the brand name scope that cost less than 100 dollars even.

I have no personal experience but there is a guy in the process of doing write ups on many of the top level scopes. Low light capabilities is a category they checked in to. Check there.