• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B 3-12 x 50 or 5-25 x 56

Andrew21

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
N.S.W Australia
I'm putting together a M40A3 inspired rifle. Not going spec but one that will have the general look of one,.308, Remington 700, Mcmillan A4 ,DBM and a S&B scope. Rifle will be for mainly target shooting out to max 1000yd.
Looking at either 3-12x50 or 5-25x56 S&B
Having trouble choosing which S&B scope to get since my location makes it nearly impossible to look at both of them.
Does anyone have both these scopes and prefer one more than the other?
Anyone bought either one and would have prefered the other one?
3-20x50 S&B looks good but I may die of old age before it is avaliable. Should I wait for this one?
This will be a once in a lifetime purchase for me so I don't want to get one and later wish I got the other one.
Thanks

Re: S&B 3-12 x 50 or 5-25 x 56

3-12 and 5-25 are far different optics. Have you considered the 4-16? It might a better option.

I was in a similar boat to you though. I ended up purchasing the 5-25 figuring it would be applicable to a large range of rifle calibers (ELR in the future)

either 3-12x50, or as suggested, the 4-16x

depends on where you go ... but we tend to stick to 6x or 8x out to 200m. just to give you a feeling of what you roughly need.

I don’t own any S&B scopes but having a lot of range time with several 308’s with variable scopes with top ends in the 8x, 10x, 15x, 16x, and 20x I would wait for the 3-20. Most of my shooting is done around 15-16x when that is an option, but I don’t feel cheated when I am on a 10x either.

I have always thought a 3-12x would be perfect for all my needs (70% 1000y and under shooting steel plates and 30% hunting) and I am waiting for the day that someone comes out with an affordable and compact one (3-12x40mm’ish).

The 4-16x50 Mrad ccw, only has 13 mils elevation if I am reading it right, 3-12x50 has 22 mils and 5-25x56 has 26 mils. Nice to have more if in the future I decide to put it on a longer range weapon.

Use a scope base with 30MOA of forward cant and you will get plenty of elevation out of the 4-16.

4-16 is my choice on everything up to ELR, i.e., 50BMG.

Get the 5-25x if you want the best usability out of the rifle. If you are just looking for the "look" then go with the 3-12x.

I have 5-25x on all my rifles and they are excellent. Rifles don't need to be ELR to have a higher powered optic on them. When you are trying to hit tiny targets or ID things it's nice to have the extra power especially with the clarity that S&B affords. I like being able to dial up and spot shots better and then dial down. I usually shoot between 10-15x most of the times but having the higher power is a great thing.

The 5-25 might be a couple inches longer than the 3-12 but it's not overly long. The second rifle in in the first pic is my .308. The first pic is it with a 5-25x, then a 4-16x42 and then a 3-12x to give you an idea of size on the rifle.

P6300191.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

P1010441.jpg

I just recently had to make that very same decision and went with the 5-25. I shoot a 308 and the furthest target at my range is 700M, which only takes me around 6.7 mils to get to. I could have very easily gone with a 4-16 however since they all cost pretty much the same, why not have the extra mag provided by the 5-25? You lose 1x on the bottom, but gain 9x on the top. Besides this isn't my hunting rifle... It only gets lugged around from the truck to the firing line.

I was thinking along those lines Rob01. While I may not need 25x for shooting, it would be nice to be able to zoom in to check things out. 3-12 would fit my shooting needs but may not give me what I want in magnification.
The 5-25 seems to have the best choice in reticles, the MSR reticle looks like a nice option.
I'm sure a M40a3 inspired rifle with a 5-25x56 will still look pretty good.
Nice collection you got rob01

One thing people aren't talking about is the reticle. In 5-25 most folks have a P4F b/c as the power nears the top end it is a very useable width. Most folks really like it b/c it is thin and therefore promotes shooting itty bitty groups as well. That said, while it is a great reticle for a lot of uses, it isn't the most practicle reticle for all occasions.

When you step the power down you can better use a reticle with a heavier weight line (thickness).

While I like the 5-25 P4F, I like it on something that doesn't generally get shot at less than 1k, and hated it on a .308. The 4-16x42 with a Gen2XL is the right line weight (for me) for a practicle rifle in .308. You should note that the x42 is a little fussier about head position over the x50 or the x56. My all around favorite is the 3-12x50 w/ a standard Gen2.

Good luck

5-25 for sure. You can dial down to 5. I never understand why everyone worries about having a scope that is too powerfull. Just dial it down. Like Rob says, the higher powers are great for spotting and checking out the targets. I have never been out shooting my S&B 5-25's and said, "Man, I wish my scope was not this powerfull." I had a 4x16 S&B along with the 5-25 and ended up selling it and getting another 5-25. Shodow has never been an issue for me on the 5-25. Once you get used to the option of more power you will never go back. PLus, there is hardly any difference in price.

Have you thought about the Hensoldt 4-16 with NH1 reticle? It is PLENTY for shooting out to 1000. It is very compact, about the size of the 3-12, and is extremely easy to obtain a sight picture. I really like the reticle design and it is useable at both ends of the spectrum.

I was a little worried about precision groups with this reticle. However, Thursday was shooting with a friend and was shooting out the center of the small 1/2" bullseye on my targets without touching the orange outside the bullseye. Upon first examination it looked like I had not hit the target! I do not think a 5-25 would have improved my groups.

The 5-25 would be better for spotting and reading mirage, but that is why I have a spotting scope. I like the break from being in prone position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andrew21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The 4-16x50 Mrad ccw, only has 13 mils elevation if I am reading it right</div></div>

I'm almost positive that their single turn designs have built in cant like a leupold M3 so once zeroed you (hopefully) have 13mils of up in one turn...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andrew21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The 4-16x50 Mrad ccw, only has 13 mils elevation if I am reading it right</div></div>

I'm almost positive that their single turn designs have built in cant like a leupold M3 so once zeroed you (hopefully) have 13mils of up in one turn... </div></div>

Correct.

The 5-25 is also the better <span style="text-decoration: underline">short range</span> scope.

Great point Graham. The 5-25x can adjust parralax down to 10 meters. Most others scopes are 50 meters. It really helps to have a nice bright, clear sight picture at matches when shooting inside 25 yards at tiny dots.

Look at the H2CMR reticle as well. Got one a few months ago and love it. The P4F is also an excellent reticle.

Andrew do yourself a favor and get the S&B 5-25x56.

That's where we will have to agree to disagree Graham
wink.gif

But the best part for the shooters is they have all those options in the S&B.

The H2CMR is too much for me, I'd say that one is for experts only.
wink.gif

LOL Then you should be right at home with it
wink.gif
I bet if you used it you would like it alot as I did. The .2 mil marks on the horizontal are great for holding wind or movers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree MSR is awesome... alot of money though. </div></div>Is it more than any other special-order reticle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree MSR is awesome... alot of money though. </div></div>Is it more than any other special-order reticle? </div></div>

It is about $300 more than a P4.

Speculating here: How will the 3-20x50 fit in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eagle1899</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speculating here: How will the 3-20x50 fit in? </div></div>

The 3-20 in my eyes will be the perfect optic if it ever comes out. Just think a mag range factor of 5 that's unheard of. Not to mention it has a 50mm eye bell. Supposedly the eye box on it is huge (completely forgiving).

I would love to add one to my collection, and will when they are finally released. However, that being said alot of agencies that have had them on order aren't even getting thier orders filled yet so it will be sometime before they are on the floor available for sale.

Just hope you live a few extra years... no big deal, haha.

Looks like the 5-25x56 is going on my shopping list. I know there are other brands available that would fit my needs as ToKeepAndBear said. All the stuff I have read about higher end optics everything always keeps getting compared to S&B, so thats why I'm going that way.
Now to decide on the reticle, I'll go and do some more research. Check out some real photo's of the reticles. PDF's don't really show you what they look like.
And need some rings, from the photo's I've seen the standard USMC M40a3 badger rings with a 20moa base should still fit this larger scope on a Rem700 SPS-V. Even when later I replace the barrel with a thicker one, so those are on my list too

I had the same decision before me recently and went with the 3-12x50. Weight was a consideration, but also hope to hunt with the rifle and the 3x should be easier to use than 5x for some of the ranges I will use. Either would be great and would probably prefer the 5-25 if I had access to longer ranges.