• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B 3-20x50 Pic Thread

D_TROS

Flag-Sword-Cross
Minuteman
  • Aug 19, 2010
    North Denver, CO
    They're coming fellas. Just got mine yesterday.

I'll start, got mine with the H2CMR Rect.

First impressions:
    -WOW huge eye piece
    -great clarity and eye box=Very good.
    -Thing is bigger than I thought
    -Tunneling from 3-3.5 power
    -The H2cmr Rect is usable at 3 power, but barely so and only in good light. Last night, it was almost impossible to see, but the illumination helped that, this morning , it wasn't bad.
    -At 20x, the rect is almost perfect. Thin enough yet you can still use the .2 increment hashes. Very nice.
    -I thought I liked the 12 mil knobs on the Henny, this baby has got 14 mil knobs. WHOA!!
    -It came with flip up caps. easily twice as beefy as crap factory butler creek ones. very nice.
    -MTC knobs are almost annoying, but you only go by about 2 mils, which isnt bad. I may be worried about over/back lash on a lesser quality scope, but I think dialing back after going past on this scope will pose no problems...not that I can hold a tenth mil anyway
    smile.gif
    unless I do my part lol
    -I really like the power ring. Very grippable (wd?), and not too tough to turn.
    -The locking knob ring is a nice feature I spose. Will only use on the windage, as I dont see myself getting lost in a rev with 14mils of adjustment. Very crisp/snug feeling adjusting it.

Cant wait to get it mounted up and see if I like it better than my 4-16. The winner goes on my match rifle, the loser goes to the chopping block.

Now pics:

vg78ed.jpg

30j68uu.jpg

o7lwra.jpg

Regards,
    DT

Re: S&B 3-20x50 Pic Thread

wow, that is a damn nice scope. let us know how it fares.
    congrats.

I'm really liking the new tenebraex scope covers that they are coming with now. So much better than the Butler Creek. I like how the flaps lock back in the open position. Also its a pretty neat idea having that internal bezel so that you can choose to have the hinge on one side rather than open to the top.

I did a comparison with a 3-12, and the 3-20 had a wider field of view on 3 power. Weight wise it seemed lighter than the 5-25.

Congrats on the new scope DT. Guess people can stop wondering if the scopes will ever show up
    wink.gif
    Will post pics when ours arrive.

Thanks about right, I get tired of waiting and get a 5-25 a week before they start showing up. Glad you like it bro!! Hope its a good scope to you and no "first batch" problems

The ones finally making it here aren't first batch. They have been building and filling orders to the military in Europe the past few months.

Don't worry you still might of had to wait a while as they are filling orders from the past 2-3 years before anyone ordering now will get them. Enjoy that 5-25. It's a great scope.

Does anyone know if they will be available without locking turrets and/or MTC?

Not sure Throwback but sent an email to see if there is any word on that configuration. I really wouldn't hold my breathe for it right yet though as they have quite a few back orders to fill before they start changing things from the original spec.

Let us know if you hear anything back rob. I my mind, no MTC, non-locking and H2CMR in this platform would be as near perfect a scope as one could hope for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cds7221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really liking the new tenebraex scope covers that they are coming with now. So much better than the Butler Creek. I like how the flaps lock back in the open position. Also its a pretty neat idea having that internal bezel so that you can choose to have the hinge on one side rather than open to the top.

. </div></div>

chris are these covers avaiable for the 5-25? you guys have them?

My Gap wont be built for another 10-11 months so i dont mind waiting for this scope since I feel it offers the perfect range of power. I do plan on getting a P4 reticle though since I use my scopes so much on low power. Congrats on the new scope my friend. I am certain it wont ever reach the chopping block...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vzcWPKAv2Ow"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vzcWPKAv2Ow" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks about right, I get tired of waiting and get a 5-25 a week before they start showing up. Glad you like it bro!! Hope its a good scope to you and no "first batch" problems </div></div>

I did the same...and I ended up ordering another 5-25x too. If they come out with a 3-20x with DT knobs, I'm going to get one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cds7221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really liking the new tenebraex scope covers that they are coming with now. So much better than the Butler Creek. I like how the flaps lock back in the open position. Also its a pretty neat idea having that internal bezel so that you can choose to have the hinge on one side rather than open to the top.

. </div></div>

haven't seen them yet but the need to get on it b/c i need a set now
    chris are these covers avaiable for the 5-25? you guys have them? </div></div>

As of right now, SB 3-20's are only offered with the MTC turrets. I asked this same question a couple weeks back when I placed an order. The lady I deal was unaware of any plans to offer the 3-20's in a non mtc turret.
    Hope this helps

I agree, a non-MTC turret option would be nice.

So, this is the new baby you been talking about?

Congrats!

Will it be on your rifle for the next CRC match?

Spoke with our contact at S&B and this scope will not be available with the standard dual turn knobs. The way the scope was designed was around the locking mtc knobs which are larger than the dual turn knobs so they can't be swapped out or ordered with the dual turn due to the tube design. The connfiguration you see is the way the scope will be available for the foreseeable future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, this is the new baby you been talking about?

Congrats!

Will it be on your rifle for the next CRC match? </div></div>

hope to have new rifle done and load work up done for next match. stock supposed to arrive today. been long wait for this build.

but with new baby (not the scope lol,) i been playin hell just tryin to get out of house!!

I could have sworn on the old S&B website that the P4F MOA reticle was going to be available on the 3-20x. Is this no longer the case?

The MTC's on the 3-20 I have are better than the 5-25 version.

The windage knob has an MTC clunk on the "0" ONLY, not all the full mils, like the elevation knob.

The elevation MTC "clunks" are not as pronounced (as the 5-25), and it's easier to catch the .1 past the clunk. You still go .2 when you're in a hurry though!

I wish I could get this windage knob on my 5-25's, it's about perfect.

For match use, I still like the DT on the elevation.

Going to war or hunting, I would take this one.

No one posting pics, so I will post a couple more. So far, really liking it.

nedwrk.jpg

I really like this pic. I wwas able to play with the shutter speed and get a shot that focused on the knobs.

2h6tssh.jpg

Regards,
    DT

No one else is posting 'cause WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR OURS!
    frown.gif

But seriously, thanks for posting. At least we know they actually exist
    grin.gif

Drool, drool was going to preorder one of these eons ago, but decided to get another 5-25. This is pushing me towards the edge again. Anyone have any ideas how long a wait on a new order would take? I'm assuming until all the current orders are fulfilled it will be a waiting game, but at least now there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Why is this scope in demand over the 5-25? Does it have some special features?
    RTH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cds7221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are starting to come out of Germany. Don't know if they will ever "catch up". <span style="color: #FF6600">We have some landing this week.</span> </div></div>

I've heard that from 4 different companies for the past 3 weeks straight!!!! I'll believe that when I see em muchacho!!!
    laugh.gif

I called Schmidt in NH because I have to send my 5-25 in for repair and they stated they have recieved 45 3-20s in thus far and have another 400 on back order. They said the 45 were already spoken for and being shipped out so some did arrive but not very many.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cds7221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are starting to come out of Germany. Don't know if they will ever "catch up". <span style="color: #FF6600">We have some landing this week.</span> </div></div>

I've heard that from 4 different companies for the past 3 weeks straight!!!! I'll believe that when I see em muchacho!!!
    laugh.gif
    </div></div>

Well, just so happens that the UPS man just dropped off some stuff.....

Ta da....

*as a side note, we have orders dating back a year or so that are being filled and will be trying to fill those backorders for a while.

photo1-2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is this scope in demand over the 5-25? Does it have some special features?
    RTH </div></div>
    Some shooters prefer a lower low end so the 3X is desirable there. And if conditions permit, going up to 20 instead of 12 or 15 can be good. At least to me, it has one of the best mag ranges around.

and its smaller overall then the 5-25. i have 2 3-20's on order. it fits better on guns that i would normally use a 3-15, 4-16 range optic.

fwiw,
    My first order arrived Friday. They were ordered 5-12-2010 by the invoice. I MAY have one available with the Klein Reticle. It is the PERFECT size optic. I've always thought the 5-25x56s were a touch too large...

Regards, Matt Garrett
    757-581-6270

Got my first last week. The second is arriving tomorrow
    smile.gif

normal_320.JPG

normal_3202.JPG

normal_Tarn2.JPG

Some pics comparing it to an S&B ShortDot PM 1,5-6x20

normal_PMsd3.JPG

normal_PM-SD.JPG

normal_PMSD2.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Garcia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the elevation turret go below 0 (believe its a half mil) like the 5-25x ??? </div></div>

The one I have only goes about .3 under.

Got mine today, from Veteran Tactical. They were great to work with, Troy is top notch business man!

2dabs41.jpg

question: has anybody tried to zero their knobs AFTER sighting in?

instructions say to loosen knobs and retighten after pulling on them. like any self respecting American I didn't look at instructions until after sighted in. not that it matters cause I can untwist.

my real questions about the set screws in the knobs. instructions say there are only 2 set screws. there are plainly 3. it was no prob adjusting the windage knob. when i got to the elevation know, 2 set screws are normal, and the third looks like it has a rubber plug or something in it.
    do I dig this out? disregard and pull really hard???

first S&B scope so I not familiar.

thanks in advance
    DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">question: has anybody tried to zero their knobs AFTER sighting in?

instructions say to loosen knobs and retighten after pulling on them. like any self respecting American I didn't look at instructions until after sighted in. not that it matters cause I can untwist.

my real questions about the set screws in the knobs. instructions say there are only 2 set screws. there are plainly 3. it was no prob adjusting the windage knob. when i got to the elevation know, 2 set screws are normal, and the third looks like it has a rubber plug or something in it.

thanks in advance
    DT </div></div>
    You're over thinking it.

Only two set screws.

Loosen them...or take them out if that makes you feel better.

Turn to "0" making sure that the turn indicator indicates that yo are on the first turn (the turrets will still "click" so don't freak)

Re-tighten screws.

Done

No need to pull turret off or dig out material that has been purposely put there.

*re setting zero is different on the DT/MTC version that the Locking Turret version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">question: has anybody tried to zero their knobs AFTER sighting in?

thanks in advance
    DT </div></div>

Saw your post and saw no answers yet but just wanted to drop in my uneducated two cents before something bad happened.

I dont own an S&B yet (have one on order) but have been reading about them. Two of the screws should be set screws and the third one is for disassembly by someone knowledgeable enought to service the area under the dial. I dont think they would have put the plug material on the screw i they wanted you to take it off.

I'd check the directions or wait until someone more knowledgeable chimes in with good info.

Hope your knew scope serves you well, cant wait to get my DS's on mine.

Any issues with left handed shooters bolt knob hitting the thing (guessing illumination) on the left side of the scope?

web.jpg

Blaser R93 caliber 6,5x55 (and 30-06), 20 MOA steel rail, TPS steel rings (low), A tec Maxim silencer, Versa-Pod, homemade cheekrest, versa-pod adapter and boltknob.
    Had the scope for about 20 days now, 2 trips to the range. Love it!